[comp.lang.pascal] Help: I can't use EGA or VGA BGI while inside of TP6.0

mpe@shamash.cdc.com (Mike Ebsen) (04/01/91)

Thank you in advance for whatever help you might be able to lend and for
the patience if this question has already been asked countless previous
times... I do not regularly read this news group.

Help, my new Turbo Pascal compiler influences the selection of .BGI files
that my programs may select with the DetectGraph function.  The highest
allowable mode, while running a file from the ALT-R menu, is CGA
640x200 mono with only one video page.  If I compile the same program
(without any software modification) using the TPC command and run the
resulting .EXE file directly from the DOS prompt then everything runs
great.

I thought, possibly, that the problem was in my code.  To help eliminate
any possible programmer error, I attempted to run the Borland supplied
BGIDEMO.PAS.  I observed the same effects.

My compiler is presently set with the following options:
    Options\Environment\Startup\Dual_monitor_support  Set
    Options\Environment\Startup\Graphics_screen_save  Set
    Options\Environment\Startup\EGAVGA_palette_save   Set
    Options\Environment\Startup\CGA_snow_check        not Set
    Options\Environment\Startup\LCD_color_set         not Set
    Options\Environment\Startup\Use_expanded_memory   Set
    Options\Environment\Startup\Load_TURBO.TPL        Set
    Options\Debugger\Display_swapping                 smart
    Options\Debugger\Dubugging                        integrated

Once again, my thanks to anyone who might be able to help...
   mpe@shamash.cdc.com

bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Bob Beauchaine) (04/04/91)

In article <31906@shamash.cdc.com> mpe@shamash.cdc.com (Mike Ebsen) writes:

>Help, my new Turbo Pascal compiler influences the selection of .BGI files
>that my programs may select with the DetectGraph function.  The highest
>allowable mode, while running a file from the ALT-R menu, is CGA
>640x200 mono with only one video page.
>
>My compiler is presently set with the following options:
>    Options\Environment\Startup\Dual_monitor_support  Set
                                                        ^
  Just a guess, but this might be the culprit.          |
  Dual monitor support is tricky.  The Turbo Pascal documentation states
  that you are only allowed to use those modes not supported on your
  primary monitor for the second monitor.  You may be running into a
  conflict of interests.  But be warned; I have never tried this and
  am only guessing.

Bob Beauchaine bobb@vice.ICO.TEK.COM

C: The language that combines the power of assembly language with the
   flexibility of assembly language.