[comp.lang.pascal] Pascal on Mac

kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) (03/29/91)

Is there a turbo pascal version for the Mac? Are the run time library
calls the same? Ie would a graphics intensive program compile and run
on the mac with little effort.

If no turbo pascal on the mac, then what pascal do people use on the Mac?

Here is the deal: I have a couple of programs that I would like to
offer for the mac. Currently they only run under msdos. They are written in
turbo pascal, and use turbo pascal run time library calls for graphics.

Any help is appreciated.

-Chris
--
Chris Kushmerick                                 kciremhsuK sirhC
kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov    <===Try this one first

mrhoten@neon.Stanford.EDU (Matthew Paul Rhoten) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.211620.11901@bnlux1.bnl.gov>
kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>Is there a turbo pascal version for the Mac?
>If no turbo pascal on the mac, then what pascal do people use on the Mac?
>[...]
>-Chris
>kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov

As far as I know Borland hasn't written up Turbo for the Mac. The only two
Pascal compilers of note are really Think Pascal and MPW Pascal. Think
Pascal has a source-level debugger to die for, object support (and an
extremely extensive class library which gives a lot of interface for free);
it also generates decent code. Additionally it has excellent support for
Macintosh-specific routines. MPW has a rather nice shell, and can be
integrated with other languages with minimal effort - you can buy lots
of neato chunks for MPW, besides Pascal. It also compiles in the background,
and can do Object Pascal as well.

Think is distributed by:
Symantec Corp.
10201 Torre Avenue
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 253-9600

MPW is distributed by:
APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 33-G
Cupertino, CA 95014-6299
1-800-282-2732 (orders)

Sprinkle in some (tm)'s in the above, I suppose. Anyway, I've used both of
these compilers, and they're both quite good. If you care, I use Think for
my development, mostly because I don't own MPW Pascal, just the 68K assembler.
Check them both out.
 -matt

PS I work for no one mentioned here, take this stuff 'as is'.
--
Matt Rhoten             | PO Box 10031       | Standard disclaimers apply.
mrhoten@cs.stanford.edu | Stanford, CA 94309 | (415) 497-2853 | veni vidi vomui

ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu (Eric Behr) (03/29/91)

kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>Is there a turbo pascal version for the Mac?
Sure, Borland makes it, I've owned it for a few years; fast I/O compared to
others. If you ask me, jump on another bandwagon. Borland seems to have
forgotten their Apple software. I used to call them - no answer. I am a
registered user - no mailings/updates. Like a boring uncle with whom you
lost touch. They will probably sue me. Get Think or MPW.    E.
--
Eric Behr, Illinois State University, Mathematics Department
Internet: ejbehr@rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu    Bitnet: ebehr@ilstu

milne@ics.uci.edu (Alastair Milne) (03/29/91)

In <1991Mar29.023857.17000@neon.Stanford.EDU> mrhoten@neon.Stanford.EDU (Matthew Paul Rhoten) writes:

>In article <1991Mar28.211620.11901@bnlux1.bnl.gov>
>kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>>Is there a turbo pascal version for the Mac?
>>If no turbo pascal on the mac, then what pascal do people use on the Mac?

>As far as I know Borland hasn't written up Turbo for the Mac.

   Yes they have, actually, but some time ago.

   It's Turbo Pascal 1.1 for the Mac.  Tolerable, not great.  It's old
   enough that it only gets on partially with Multifinder.  I get past that
   by compiling to disc, then running straight from Multifinder, rather than
   from within Turbo.  I don't know if Borland is still selling it.

   Although by itself it looks quite different from the PC version of Turbo --
   to be expected -- Borland does supply a compatibility unit which I believe
   is supposed to supply the calls that DOS-ported Turbo would use.  But I
   haven't tried it myself, so I can't say much about it.

   Turbo 1.1 does have one reasonably sensible addition: a unit which, when
   used, creates an 80x25 window and directs Turbo's 'standard in' and
   'standard out' to it.  Nice way to start development of a new program,
   and especially to do trivial little programs you'll throw away after a
   couple of uses.  For larger programs, you can disable this unit as soon as
   you've got your own windows in good order.

   Alastair Milne

eldred@rrunner.jpl.nasa.gov (Dan Eldred) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar29.023857.17000@neon.Stanford.EDU> mrhoten@neon.Stanford.EDU (Matthew Paul Rhoten) writes:
>In article <1991Mar28.211620.11901@bnlux1.bnl.gov>
>kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>>If no turbo pascal on the mac, then what pascal do people use on the Mac?
Borland *DID* sell Turbo-Pascal for the mac a while back--about 4
years ago.  I don't they ever sold anything past version 1.1, which
doesn't work under multinder.  Nevertheless, Turbo-Pascal was pretty
darn good, and I am mystified why they chose to not maintain it.

			--Dan        eldred@csi.jpl.nasa.gov

A1.RJS@isumvs.iastate.edu ( Ricardo Salvador) (03/30/91)

eldred@rrunner.jpl.nasa.gov "Dan Eldred" says:

>In article <1991Mar29.023857.17000@neon.Stanford.EDU>
>mrhoten@neon.Stanford.EDU (Matthew Paul Rhoten) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar28.211620.11901@bnlux1.bnl.gov>
>>kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov (christopher kushmerick) writes:
>>>If no turbo pascal on the mac, then what pascal do people use on
>>>the Mac?
>Borland *DID* sell Turbo-Pascal for the mac a while back--about 4
>years ago.  I don't they ever sold anything past version 1.1, which
>doesn't work under multinder.  Nevertheless, Turbo-Pascal was pretty
>darn good, and I am mystified why they chose to not maintain it.

I don't know either, although they _claim_ that they still support
owners of the original Mac TP.  They do so via telephone (very
narrow window of available hours on CLT (California Laid-back Time),
from 12:00 to 5:00 if I remember correctly.  The CompuServe support
consists mainly of a beleaguered sysop who once used Mac TP and can
whimper along with you over the fact it is no longer an active
product.

I have version 1.1 but the fact that it is not MultiFinder friendly
keeps it on the shelf.  Think Pascal is a great compiler.  OOP
support and a huge library of objects for GUI stuff are very nice
(whole thing occupies 4.5 Mb on hard disk, but the compiler itself
only takes up about 0.5 Mb.)  Also, the associated on-line tutorial
(Just Enough Pascal) is a very good way to learn the system if one
has some programming experience already.
Ricardo Salvador - Iowa State University of Science and Technology -
Asst. Prof. of Agronomy   +----------------------------------------+
                          | BITNET:      A1.RJS@ISUMVS             |
1126 Agronomy Hall        |              A3RJS@ISUVAX              |
                          | INTERNET:    A1.RJS@ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU |
Iowa State University of  | COMPUSERVE:  RSalvador                 |
 Science and Technology   | GEnie:       R.Salvador                |
Ames, Iowa  50011         +----------------------------------------+
   "The most savage controversies are those about matters as to
             which there is no good evidence either way."
                         - Bertrand Russell -

wadew@ducvax.auburn.edu (WILLIAMS_WADE) (03/30/91)

In article <26412@adm.brl.mil>, A1.RJS@isumvs.iastate.edu ( Ricardo Salvador) writes...
>eldred@rrunner.jpl.nasa.gov "Dan Eldred" says:

>> Think Pascal is a great compiler.  OOP
>support and a huge library of objects for GUI stuff are very nice
>(whole thing occupies 4.5 Mb on hard disk, but the compiler itself
>only takes up about 0.5 Mb.)  Also, the associated on-line tutorial
>(Just Enough Pascal) is a very good way to learn the system if one
>has some programming experience already.
>Ricardo Salvador - Iowa State University of Science and Technology -
I wholeheartedly endorse Ricardo's recommendation.  Symantec's Think Pascal 3.0
is almost a Mac industry standard.  It's super-fast, has a great debugger,
object-oriented support, a huge class library for implementing the user
interface, etc.

I can't recommend it enough.  This will probably evoke some flames from the DOS
users, but I've seen Turbo Pascal on DOS and I don't think it's as fast on a
comprable machine, I don't think it's debugging tools are as good, and overall,
I just don't think it's as elegant.  Of course if you've got a Mac, all this is
irrelevant.

Wade Williams
WadeW@ducvax.auburn.edu

milne@ics.uci.edu (Alastair Milne) (04/02/91)

In <1991Mar29.062909.27683@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> eldred@rrunner.jpl.nasa.gov (Dan Eldred) writes:
>Borland *DID* sell Turbo-Pascal for the mac a while back--about 4
>years ago.  I don't they ever sold anything past version 1.1, which
>doesn't work under multinder.  Nevertheless, Turbo-Pascal was pretty
>darn good, and I am mystified why they chose to not maintain it.

   Crikey, has it been that long??

   It's not quite right that it doesn't work under Multifinder --
   what it doesn't do properly under Multifinder is execute newly
   compiled programs internally.  However, that never much bothered me.
   If multifinder is going to cause the problem, use Multifinder to
   cure it: compile to disc, keep your source file window(s) out of the way,
   and double-click on the newly created program file.

   Compiler directives are supplied both to specify the file from which
   to grab resources, and to set creator and file-type strings.

   As you say, it has a number of qualities.  Among other things,
   it's the fastest text editor for full-sized files I've yet found for the
   Mac (barring its irritating habit of redrawing a whole window just because
   you resized it).  Monospaced, with auto-indentation, etc.

   I agree: why they haven't bothered to keep it up is a mystery.

   Alastair Milne

Richard K. Wolf <U42641@uicvm.uic.edu> (04/03/91)

In article <1991Mar28.211620.11901@bnlux1.bnl.gov>, kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov
(christopher kushmerick) says:

>Is there a turbo pascal version for the Mac? Are the run time library
>calls the same? Ie would a graphics intensive program compile and run
>on the mac with little effort.

Yes, there is a version of Turbo Pascal for the Mac.  Oddly enough, it is
called "Turbo Pascal for the Mac" and is manufactured by Borland, just like
the PC variety.  Since the Mac has rich and varied graphics library
built into its ROM, there are not a great many grapics libraries included
with the basic package.  If memory serves, you can get additional
libraries from Borland.  I'd recommend, however, that you take the time
to learn the Mac user interface since IMHO not many users of your software
will appreciate your product if it doesn't adhere very well to Apple's
programming guidelines.

>If no turbo pascal on the mac, then what pascal do people use on the Mac?

Even though there is a Turbo Pascal for the Mac, I nontheless recommend that
you acquire another Pascal, such as THINK Pascal by Symmantec.  Turbo Pascal
has not kept pace with changes to the Mac for a while now.  THINK Pascal is
not that much more expensive than Turbo Pascal and is well worth the extra
"buckage," as my brother would say, for the object oriented environment, if
nothing else.

>Here is the deal: I have a couple of programs that I would like to
>offer for the mac. Currently they only run under msdos. They are written in
>turbo pascal, and use turbo pascal run time library calls for graphics.

There is a book, written by Tom Swan, which I think you should have.  It is
called something like, "Programming the Mac with Turbo Pascal" and it contains
a whole chapter devoted to translating PC Turbo Pascal into Mac Turbo Pascal.
It also give a decent description of how the Mac is programmed.

>Any help is appreciated.
>
>-Chris
>--
>Chris Kushmerick                                 kciremhsuK sirhC
>kushmer@bnlux1.bnl.gov    <===Try this one first
>kushmerick@pofvax.sunysb.edu

Good luck!
-----
Richard K. Wolf                      U II C        U n i v e r s i t y
U42641@UICVM.BITNET               U UU II CCC
U42641@uicvm.uic.edu            UU UU II CC  C            o f
                               UU UU II CC
                               UU UU II CC  CC       I l l i n o i s
                                UUUU II CCCCC
                                   U I CC          a t   C h i c a g o

delliott@cec2.wustl.edu (Dave Elliott) (04/04/91)

Turbo Pascal for the Mac is now zombieware. It is not being sold, locally,
and in a phone call to Borland's support line it was suggested that I see
my university store or Egghead software to get one of the other Mac Pascals.
I bought Think Pascal, and pitched Turbo. Turbo Pascal usually bombs on
my 4 Mb Mac + under Multi-finder, or if various DA's (Macromaker, Flash-it,...)
are installed, and has some other problems, not serious, but which will
never be repaired.

                                David L. Elliott
				Dept. of Systems Science and Mathematics
                                Washington University, St. Louis, MO 63130
				delliott@CEC2.WUSTL.EDU