[comp.lang.pascal] BGI for Laser

DAVID@ches.cs.vims.edu (03/26/91)

There was a recent request which, alas, I did not save so I can't
attribute it, which asked for information concerning a BGI driver
for HP laser. I too have an interest in this and take the liberty of
perhaps expanding on what is meant.
  It would be nice to use all the Turbo graphics routines to drive
a hard-copy graphics device such as a Laser since a page of laser
graphics can be regarded as an array of pixels. The output from the
program would either be a direct drive to the laser or the
production of a file for off-line plotting.
  An additional useful driver would be one that produced HPGL output
either on-line to a plotter or off-line to a file. This might be an
order of magnitude more difficult as raster-to-vector conversions
would be required.
  Anything out there??

David Evans,  DAVID@CHES.CS.VIMS.EDU

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (03/26/91)

There's a program called Mercury (shareware version of Eureka!) that comes
with a hp laserjet bgi file.  I didn't try and use the bgi directly from TP,
but did have the Mercury program generate a hp plot file.  The file it
generated was about 700K for a 300x300 4"x5" plot.  The actual plot file was
bloated with unneeded commands.  I don't know if this is an aspect of the
bgi file in general or particular to the Mercury program, but I wasn't
impressed.

This is also the *only* laserjet bgi driver that I've seen so it may be no
worse than any commercial bgi driver available.  I normally send plot data
to a LJ III in compressed mode and can get 300x300 4"x5" plots in 70-120K
using PCL-5 commands.

--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

pschwart@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Paul Schwartz) (03/26/91)

In article <26348@adm.brl.mil>, DAVID@ches.cs.vims.edu writes...

>There was a recent request which, alas, I did not save so I can't
>attribute it, which asked for information concerning a BGI driver
>for HP laser...
    OTHER STUFF ABOUT BGIs FOR PRINTERS/PLOTTERS

    The book _Graphics_Programming_in_Turbo_Pascal_5.5_ by Ben Ezzell contains
code for TPUs for Epson type dot matrix printers, laserjet printers, and HPGL
plotters.  I know its not BGI code, but it is concise and it works.

                                           Keep on trekin'
    						- Z -

|  PauL M SchwartZ              |   There are many causes worth dying for,    |
|  PSCHWART@macc.wisc.edu       |         but none worth killing for.         |
|  PSCHWART@wiscmacc.BitNet     |                             - Gandhi        |

frank@cavebbs.gen.nz (Frank van der Hulst) (03/27/91)

In article <26348@adm.brl.mil> DAVID@ches.cs.vims.edu writes:
>There was a recent request which, alas, I did not save so I can't

I too have seen many requests. So I've been working on such a beast for
some months now. It is written Turbo-C, which poses problems with linking
it into a TP program. I'm not sure yet how to do that... anyone got any
ideas?

Incidentally, it works fine in C.

>attribute it, which asked for information concerning a BGI driver
>for HP laser. I too have an interest in this and take the liberty of
>perhaps expanding on what is meant.
>  It would be nice to use all the Turbo graphics routines to drive
>a hard-copy graphics device such as a Laser since a page of laser
>graphics can be regarded as an array of pixels. The output from the
>program would either be a direct drive to the laser or the
>production of a file for off-line plotting.

My program outputs to any binary file, including stdprn.

>  An additional useful driver would be one that produced HPGL output
>either on-line to a plotter or off-line to a file. This might be an
>order of magnitude more difficult as raster-to-vector conversions
>would be required.

I've thought about that, but decided that would have to wait for release 2.
My package does, however, work with lots of different dot-matrix printers.
.
--

Take a walk on the wild side, and I don't mean the Milford Track.

Bruce.Mcara@f72.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Bruce Mcara) (03/30/91)

I am about to release a shareware package of BGI's for Laserjet, matrix and
HPGL.  These BGI's will produce MUCH smaller output files than you indicate.
The HPGL version scales the plot surface to your P1/P2 settings so it can
produce any size of plot.  The matrix and laserjet BGI's come in two
versions 1/2 page and full page.  All output is truncated so that blank
trailing bytes are not sent to the printer.  The developers' version of the
package ($25) includes a configuration editor which allows you to send
output to any device or file.  The BGI's are also very small 3-4 K.  They
use a disk buffer for graphics processing to minimize4 memory requirements
but this can be redirected to a RAM drive to maximize speed.

--
Bruce Mcara - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!72!Bruce.Mcara

syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Mar27.073435.7521@cavebbs.gen.nz> frank@cavebbs.gen.nz (Frank van der Hulst) writes:
>In article <26348@adm.brl.mil> DAVID@ches.cs.vims.edu writes:
>>There was a recent request which, alas, I did not save so I can't
>
>I too have seen many requests. So I've been working on such a beast for
>some months now. It is written Turbo-C, which poses problems with linking
>it into a TP program. I'm not sure yet how to do that... anyone got any
>ideas?

There is a commercial package available that provides hardcopy support for
BGI. It is called GRAF/DRIVE PLUS, from Fleming Software. The blurb in The
Programmer's Shop (page 51, Spring catalog) says:

BGI-compatible graphics drivers for Turbo C/Pascal.  Implements most Turbo
screen graphics functions for LaserJet and Epson, postscript, and HPGL pen
plotters. Often a graphics program can be proted [sic] to a hard copy
device by 'installing' a hard copy driver instead of a screen drivers.  No
royalties.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with this company, and am not even a happy
user (yet).