[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo Debugger

smithbs@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Barry) (04/08/91)

I have had out of memory problems trying to use Turbo Debugger on
a 250k exe.  I have 4 MB of RAM too.  Any hints?

cdb@waikato.ac.nz (Craig D. Beere) (04/08/91)

In article <9783@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, smithbs@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Barry) writes:
> I have had out of memory problems trying to use Turbo Debugger on
> a 250k exe.  I have 4 MB of RAM too.  Any hints?

Have you got a 386?  If so you can do virtual debugging, with the debugger
loaded entirely into the 4Mb of RAM.

The RAM however needs to be extended (?) and you have to set up a device driver
(TDH386.SYS?).  The manual explains fairly well.  (What do you mean you don't
have the manual??! :-) )

If it's not a 386 I don't know that the 4Mb will help.

Would it be possible to remotely debug it (two computers connected with a serial
cable).  This is a bit drastic, but works very well.

/*******************************************************************************
** Craig D. Beere  (a.k.a. ++Byron)
** cdb@waikato.ac.nz
*/
#include <standard_disclaimer>
#include <witty_quote>

nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu (Naji Mouawad) (04/08/91)

In article <9783@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> smithbs@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Barry) writes:
>I have had out of memory problems trying to use Turbo Debugger on
>a 250k exe.  I have 4 MB of RAM too.  Any hints?

Do you have a 386 ? If that is so, use the protected version of
TD which loads the debugger and all the requiered info into
extended memory, while loading your program at the address DOS loads
it normaly. It gives you all the 640k (more or less) ...

--Naji.
    | Naji Mouawad  |          nmouawad@watmath.waterloo.edu            |
    | Of Waterloo   |   "The Stranger in us is our most familiar Self"  |