[comp.lang.pascal] Losing mouse cursor after run in TP6 IDE

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (04/17/91)

When I run a program from the IDE I lose the mouse cursor. The mouse is
still active, but the cursor disappears permanently. I've tried redrawing
the screen, but the only way to get it back is Alt-X and turbo i.e.
reentry.

I have a genius mouse, and I'm using the latest mouse driver which I
recently downloaded. I don't suspect that. Is it possible I've found a
genuine bug in TP6.0? Or does anyone have any suggestions of what I might
be doing wrong?

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas) (04/19/91)

Get yourself the newest version of the logitech driver and the problem will go
away!

Rob
\ Robert Salesas             + Usenet: Robert_Salesas@MINDLINK.bc.ca /
\ Eschalon Development Inc.  + CIS:    76625,1320    BYTE:  newdawn  /

roth@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Pete Roth) (04/19/91)

In article <715@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl> derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
>When I run a program from the IDE I lose the mouse cursor. The mouse is
>still active, but the cursor disappears permanently. I've tried redrawing
>the screen, but the only way to get it back is Alt-X and turbo i.e.
>reentry.

[...]

I'm having a similar problem with a logitech mouse when i go to the 43 line
screen. The mouse doesn't know anything about lines past 25. I just discovered
this yesterday so i haven't had the time or the inclination to figure out
what to do about it. However, the mouse _does_ return when i switch back
to 25 line mode.

I think we got ourselves a bug here...
Peter N Roth      roth@oasys.dt.navy.mil
Objects in this office are closer than they appear.

dvlhma@cs.umu.se (Henrik Magnusson) (04/20/91)

[...]
>I'm having a similar problem with a logitech mouse when i go to the 43 line
>screen. The mouse doesn't know anything about lines past 25. I just discovered
>this yesterday so i haven't had the time or the inclination to figure out
>what to do about it. However, the mouse _does_ return when i switch back
>to 25 line mode.
>
>I think we got ourselves a bug here...
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>Peter N Roth      roth@oasys.dt.navy.mil
>Objects in this office are closer than they appear.

That your mouse disaperas after the 25th line isn't a bug in TP6.0. Its your
mouse driver that can' handle it. I had the same problem a couple a weeks ago
but then tried another mouse driver, and now it works perfectly.

A problem that i have had with both mouse drivers is, when i run a TVision
program from IDE in 43 (possible also 25 line mode), then at the position where
the mouse cursor is at return at garbage charcter is placed.

Anyone who has had this problem to? Is it my mouse driver or is it a bug?

/NeNNe

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Henrik Magnusson           :: "How'd you puncture that tyre?"           ::
:: dvlhma@cs.umu.se           :: "Ran over a milk bottle"                  ::
::                            :: "Didn't you see it?"                      ::
:: Umeaa University, Sweden   :: "Damn kid had it under his coat."         ::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

rbt@tous.uucp (Robert B. Tate) (04/22/91)

In article <7190@oasys.dt.navy.mil> roth@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Pete Roth) writes:
>In article <715@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl> derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
>>When I run a program from the IDE I lose the mouse cursor. The mouse is
>>still active, but the cursor disappears permanently. I've tried redrawing
>>the screen, but the only way to get it back is Alt-X and turbo i.e.
>>reentry.
>
>[...]
>
>I'm having a similar problem with a logitech mouse when i go to the 43 line
>screen. The mouse doesn't know anything about lines past 25. I just discovered
>this yesterday so i haven't had the time or the inclination to figure out
>what to do about it. However, the mouse _does_ return when i switch back
>to 25 line mode.
>
>I think we got ourselves a bug here...

I had the problem with a Mouse Systems mouse and a logitech trackman.
When I updated the drivers to the MOST recent drivers, all the mouse
related problems whent away. It looks like Borland is _USING_ the newest
features of the mouse drivers and if they are not there, things don't
work right. It looks like if we want the latest and greatest, then we
have to make sure every thing is up to date. That seems only reasonable.
:-)

--
 rbt@tous.UUCP             Robert B. Tate | A little knowledge is a dangerous
 {ucf-cs,peora,uunet}!tarpit!tous!rbt     | thing. Any less can kill you.

s872607@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (George Tzanatos) (04/22/91)

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:

>When I run a program from the IDE I lose the mouse cursor. The mouse is
>still active, but the cursor disappears permanently. I've tried redrawing
>the screen, but the only way to get it back is Alt-X and turbo i.e.
>reentry.

>I have a genius mouse, and I'm using the latest mouse driver which I
>recently downloaded. I don't suspect that. Is it possible I've found a
>genuine bug in TP6.0? Or does anyone have any suggestions of what I might
>be doing wrong?

It also happens if you suspend to dos or look at the dos screen.
I also have a genius mouse (driver circia '88).

Its not that annoying - unless you want to use DIALOG BOXES - they're a real
pain w/o the mouse :)

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (04/22/91)

Robert_Salesas@mindlink.bc.ca (Robert Salesas) writes:

>Get yourself the newest version of the logitech driver and the problem will go
>away!

>\ Robert Salesas             + Usenet: Robert_Salesas@MINDLINK.bc.ca /
>\ Eschalon Development Inc.  + CIS:    76625,1320    BYTE:  newdawn  /

Two questions:-
1. Does the logitech driver work with a genius mouse?
2. If so, where do I get the newest version of the logitech driver?

If 1. is 'yes' and 2. is answerable (I don't have ftp, but can use mail),
then I shall be able to thank you.

I've had a number of replies by mail on this, not all tested as yet.
Renze de Waal <phigate!urc.tue.nl!wsbucan4> suggested I put the mouse in
microsoft (i.e. 2-button) mode. This didn't have any different effect.

Alan Arthur <phigate!computer-science.strathclyde.ac.uk!aarthur> suggested
a kludge which might work - switching off smart display swapping. He's
using a Naksha mouse. This points to a bug in the IDE. Note that Borland
says that the mouse driver should be compatible with (I think) microsoft
driver 6.0 or above. I have genius driver 8.63 (8.xx anyway). Perhaps I
should actually use the microsoft driver? Does anyone know where I can get
one?

Keith Prins, Cullen Bowles House  of  Rhodes University, RSA suggests I
use mouse.com instead of mouse.sys - I haven't tried this yet.

acolvin@youth.cavebbs.gen.nz (Aaron Colvin) (04/25/91)

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:

> When I run a program from the IDE I lose the mouse cursor. The mouse is
> still active, but the cursor disappears permanently. I've tried redrawing
> the screen, but the only way to get it back is Alt-X and turbo i.e.
> reentry.
>
> I have a genius mouse, and I'm using the latest mouse driver which I
> recently downloaded. I don't suspect that. Is it possible I've found a
> genuine bug in TP6.0? Or does anyone have any suggestions of what I might
> be doing wrong?

Well, I too have a Genius Mouse (one that came with Dr. Genius(Dr.
Halo?)), and I am using the mouse driver than came with it (GMouse.Com),
and so far I have had no probs with TP6 at all, and its not as tho I dont
use TP much, I use it frequently actually! So whether it is perhaps just
this new version of a mouse driver you have d/l ed from somewhere, I
dunno, perhaps you should try running TP6 with the original mouse driver
that came with the mouse, and see what happens, (is it a later version of
gmouse), or just another mouse driver, cause I believe that mouse drivers
are specific to their mouse, to which they were designed to
control ... (correct?) ...

--
acolvin@youth.cavebbs.gen.nz  (Aaron Colvin)
My Opinions, Are Just That, *My* Opinions...

viswanath@skyfox.usask.ca (04/26/91)

Have u tried installing Turbo Pascal once again, 'cause I too had the same problem which seemed fine later after reinstallation.
Vish