[comp.lang.pascal] TP 6.0 EMS/XMS?

rocker@desire.wright.edu (04/18/91)

I've been trying to convert my 5.5 program to 6.0 here at work.  Under 5.5, the
EXE + .OVR were over 100k.

At work I'm using a Zenith 248, not by choice, with 640 base and 2560k EXPANDED
and it won't even compile with just a fifth of the units included.

Is there any way to get it to use this memory?

At home I have a 386 with 4mb and before comming in this morning I brought up
TP with no files loaded and did Get Info and it said no EMS.  Do I need a
driver?  Which one?  Will it work with Windows 3?

Any help is appreaciated.

ronnie

jerry@gumby.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr18.082629.3283@desire.wright.edu> rocker@desire.wright.edu writes:

>At home I have a 386 with 4mb and before comming in this morning I brought up
>TP with no files loaded and did Get Info and it said no EMS.  Do I need a
>driver?  Which one?  Will it work with Windows 3?

You need a driver that will emulate EMS memory using your machine's extended
memory.  Some examples of drivers that will do this include QEMM386 from
Quarterdeck and EMM386 from Microsoft.  If you have Windows 3.0, you have
EMM386.  In my opinion, QEMM386 is the better of the two.

Both QEMM386 (version 5.11 or later) and EMM386 will work with Windows 3.0.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway

kai@tpki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) (04/30/91)

The Digital Research System DRDOS 5.0 will also do fine. The driver
EMM386.sys with EMM 4.0 emulation will work properly with TP 6.0. Hint: run
EMSTEST from Borland to get more note on incompatibility.
Kai.

Kai Voelcker	kai@tpki.toppoint.de
2300 Kiel	...!unido!tpki!kai