[comp.lang.pascal] TP For Windows

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (02/14/91)

I called the Borland language support folks today for some information about
TP 6.0, which I use now, and TP for Windows, which I'm interested in.  Here's
what they said:

1.	When I asked them why the software floating point (not the 8x87
	emulation) was significantly faster, they said that the old libraries
	hadn't been changed much from their 8080 days.  The libraries
	were modified to exploit the 8x86 cpu family.

2.	I asked them how TP programs will interact with Windows.  They
	said that there would be a class library similar to TurboVision
	that could be used, as well as the basic Windows routines.

	Personally I'd prefer using the ordinary Windows entry points -
	then the knowledge could be used for Windows development using
	another vendor's compiler.

3.	I asked about a release date.  They didn't have one.  They said
	that testing was taking longer than they expected (for software
	of that complexity I wasn't surprised).

Anyway take the above (at least 2 & 3) with a grain of salt.  Until it's
released, you never know...

Terrell

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.030240.11601@isis.cs.du.edu> ebergman@isis.UUCP (Eric Bergman-Terrell) writes:

>I called the Borland language support folks today for some information about
>TP 6.0, which I use now, and TP for Windows, which I'm interested in.  Here's
>what they said:
>3.	I asked about a release date.  They didn't have one.  They said
>	that testing was taking longer than they expected (for software
>	of that complexity I wasn't surprised).

Very strange.  I called the order desk today (Feb 14), and was told that
TP for Windows was released today.  Price $99.95 to upgrade from TP 6.0
Professional.  Delivery time 2 to 4 weeks.

Duncan Murdoch

GJM@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (02/15/91)

Rather strange - with my plastic in hand I just gave Borland a call, hoping to
upgrade from tp 6.0 to tp/windows - no can do, ie, the ONLY window product
available today it C++, and at least according to them, TP/W is 4 to 6 weeks
away from announcement.

chaudhury@physics.ucla.edu (CHAUDHURY, SHILADITYA) (02/15/91)

Duncan Murdoch's statement seems to be consistent with the ad I saw in InfoWorld
--TP under Windows to produce Windows apps - Release date was Feb. 12....

Anyone else hear anything?

--Raj Chaudhury
UCLA Solid State

Robert_Salesas@mindlink.UUCP (Robert Salesas) (02/18/91)

What issue of InfoWorld was that?  Was this an Ad fo TP for Windows itsled?
Rob

bns@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Chris Dollmont) (03/01/91)

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
> Very strange.  I called the order desk today (Feb 14), and was told that
> TP for Windows was released today.  Price $99.95 to upgrade from TP 6.0
> Professional.  Delivery time 2 to 4 weeks.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Even stranger, I called today (Feb 28), and Borland denies the existence
of Turbo Pascal for Windows.

Chris

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (03/01/91)

In article <kqa5X2w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!bns@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Chris Dollmont) writes:
>dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) writes:
>> Very strange.  I called the order desk today (Feb 14), and was told that
>> TP for Windows was released today.  Price $99.95 to upgrade from TP 6.0
>> Professional.  Delivery time 2 to 4 weeks.
>
>Even stranger, I called today (Feb 28), and Borland denies the existence
>of Turbo Pascal for Windows.

I'm pretty sure now that the salesman I was talking to misunderstood me, and was
trying to sell Borland C++, which does support Windows and had just been
released.  Oh, well.

Duncan Murdoch

oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (03/04/91)

While reading the documentation for BC++ this weekend I found
something interesting.  I was reading the Whitewater Toolkit manual
and they talked about how turbo pascal required the .RES files to be
present when it ran it's linking stage.  The whitewater toolkit is
supplied by borland to allow you to edit icons, bitmaps, and such and
attach them to exe files as resources.  One of the outputs can be a
.res file, the binary compiled file which normally is processed by the
microsoft resource compile.  Obviously things are moving along on TP
for windows.

bruce
--
| Bruce O'Neel              | internet : oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov|
| Code 664/STX              |     span : lheavx::oneel             |

roybalm@tramp.Colorado.EDU (ROYBAL MICHAEL) (03/13/91)

	I got this post from a different newsgroup, but I thought it should
be here, so here I am, re-posting it!

Begin Quote:

        Borland International Inc. will ship Turbo Pascal for Windows on
        March 18, beating Microsoft Corp. out the door with an inexpensive
        language package for the popular environment.

        ... the $249.95 package includes a Windows version of Borland's
        Integrated Development Environment and a character-based version of
        Turbo Debugger, which works with Windows code.

        For Pascal programmers not versed in the intricacies of Windows
        development, Turbo Pascal for Windows provides ObjectWindows - a
        so-called "application framework" that promises to greatly simplify
        the coding process, ... [TP for Windows does not require Microsoft's
        SDK] ...
        As with the Borland's recently announced C++ product, Turbo Pascal
        for Windows includes the Whitewater Resource Toolkit.

        The package does not replace Borland's flagship Turbo Pascal, but is
        instead a separate product line, ...

End Quote: InfoWorld, March 11, 1991.  Page 5

	as I stated before, I am just re-posting.  I am also not affiliated with
Borland in any way(except I use their programs.)

Michael Roybal(roybalm@tramp.colorado.edu)

ace@cc.ic.ac.uk (03/19/91)

 This turned up in Compuserve. No comments...

Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.0 Hot Sheet

Feature Highlights
----------------------
NEW! state-of-the-art Windows integrated development environment
(IDE)

 Runs under Windows
 Multiple editor windows
 Full Mouse Support
 Supports TP6 type hot keys
 Multi-file editor that can edit files up to 1MB
 complete save and restore of desktop

NEW! ObjectWindow library - Built in support for Windows, Menus,
Dialogs, Buttons, List boxes, Edit fields, Icons and more.  All
for use in your applications.

NEW! Full access to all Windows API functions and messages.

NEW! Fully Supports creation of DLLs.

NEW! Turbo Debugger for Windows

 Supports Windows messages
 Advanced breakpoints
 Reverse execution
 Automatic DLL debugging
 Object browser and inspectors
 Single and dual monitor support

INCLUDED! Whitewater Resource Toolkit - Visually create Dialogs,
Menus, Icons, Bitmaps and String resources.

INCLUDED! Resource Compiler

INCLUDED! Windows Help Compiler

Full featured inline assembler (BASM)

Private fields and methods in object declarations

Extended syntax directive ($X) that lets you treat functions like
procedures (and ignore function results)

286 code generation

address references in typed constants

Far and near procedures directives ($F)

Link in initialized data ($L) from object (OBJ) files

Smart linker removes unused objects and code

complete math coprocessor emulation and support -
8087/80287/80387

NEW! Turbo Help hypertext on-line help facilities, including
references to all Windows API finctions and messages.

Turbo Pascal for Windows includes everything you need to create
Windows applications.  It does not require the Microsoft Windows
SDK.

System Requirements
---------------------
IBM PC or PS/2 and all 100% compatibles
Microsoft Windows 3.0 or later
2Mb of memory
EGA, Hercules or VGA graphics
Mouse or other pointing device
Hard Disk (Requires 6.5 Meg for full product)

Benchmarks
-----------
Machine    Lines/Min
Compaq DeskPro 386/33 84,000

Documentation
----------------
1. User's Guide
2. Programmer's Guide
3. Windows Reference Guide
4. Windows Programming Guide
5. Whitwater Resource Toolkit Users Guide
6. Turbo Debugger for Windows Users Guide
7. Help Compiler Reference Guide

Pricing Information
-------------------------
Turbo Pascal for Windows   $249.95

Special Offer Information
---------------------------
Registered user of ANY BORLAND LANGUAGE PRODUCT $99.95 ***

***Turbo Pascal for Windows is exclusively for Windows
Development and does not replace Turbo Pascal version 6.0.  TP6
is the current product for standard DOS development.  The offer
is not an upgrade it is a limited special offer to our current
Turbo Pascal Customers.

mar@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Mark Rainey) (04/29/91)

There has been talk about Pascal for Windows coming out in the States. Does
anyone have any details about when, or if, it will be released in the UK ?
Thanks in advance,
			Mark Rainey

d89mb@efd.lth.se (Magnus Bodin) (04/29/91)

Can anyone please give a short summary on what errors/bugs or
"non-good-looking-features" which have been found
yet in the Turbo Pascal for Windows?

TNX

--
Magnus Bodin               "Nec fasces, nec opes,
Institute of Tychology,     sola artis sceptra perennant"

rambaut@castle.ed.ac.uk (A E Rambaut) (05/01/91)

mar@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Mark Rainey) writes:

>There has been talk about Pascal for Windows coming out in the States. Does
>anyone have any details about when, or if, it will be released in the UK ?
>Thanks in advance,

I rang Borland UK a few days ago and they said they had it in stock for
about #70 as an upgrade.

Andrew.