[comp.lang.pascal] Changing key assignments

husak@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (BugsBunny) (05/04/91)

Is there a way in Turbo pascal, to change the key-assignments for the keys.
What I want to do is change the 'F??' keys to special characterts from
foreign languages for a vocabulary flash card program. In other words I'd
like to assign the F1 key the letter u with two dots above it (umlaut) which
is ascii value 129.... Is there a way to do this so that in any readln, it will
work????

				Thanks for any help

					Steve

--
"What am I trying to do, what am I trying to say, I'm not trying to tell you
 anything you didn't know when you woke up today..."

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.170200.19165@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> husak@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (BugsBunny) writes:
>Is there a way in Turbo pascal, to change the key-assignments for the keys.
>What I want to do is change the 'F??' keys to special characterts from
>foreign languages for a vocabulary flash card program. In other words I'd
>like to assign the F1 key the letter u with two dots above it (umlaut) which
>is ascii value 129.... Is there a way to do this so that in any readln, it will
>work????

I don't know if you can do it with the original readln, but you can
certainly build a routine that simulates readln with a skilful use
of ReadKey and KeyPressed functions.  You can handle then any key
the way you want.  The additional advantage of this is that you can
actually build input editing and recall into your enahanced readln
routine.  I have done so in many of my own programs.  (Sorry, no
source code available, only the unit where the enhanced readln is,
but you obviously need to write yours to correspond to your special
requirement).

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37