[comp.lang.pascal] IBM RS-6000 Pascal - lazy I/O

jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879) (05/08/91)

I'm having an argument (through intermediaries) with IBM about IBM's RS 6000
Pascal implementation.  They say that they conform to the ISO standard, and
that as a result, they have no need to change.

I say that their implementation of interactive I/O is wrong because they
don't do lazy I/O the same way as DEC, Prime, Sun, Berkeley Pascal, and
OMSI Pascal (to name a few that run my old programs compatibly).

They say that they do it the same as Turbo Pascal, and that should be enough.

So -- what can I do?  Is there a standard for lazy I/O behavior in Pascal?
Are there some "recognized experts" or "recognized authoritative
implementations" I can point to?
					Doug Jones
					jones@cs.uiowa.edu

mglacy@lamar.ColoState.EDU (05/08/91)

In article <5942@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879) writes:
>I'm having an argument (through intermediaries) with IBM about IBM's RS 6000
>Pascal implementation.  They say that they conform to the ISO standard, and
>that as a result, they have no need to change.
>
>I say that their implementation of interactive I/O is wrong because they
>don't do lazy I/O the same way as DEC, Prime, Sun, Berkeley Pascal, and
What is "Lazy I/O?"  I've been writing Pascal applications for the RS
6000, too, but haven't had this problem. (But, I'm primarily a
TP user; my code *does* work under Vax VMS Pascal as well as TP
and RS 6000).

---Mike Lacy