[comp.lang.pascal] VAX Pascal Question

dwayne@rover.bsd.uchicago.edu (06/19/89)

In article <711@soleil.UUCP>, eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes...
>Has anyone figured out a way to flush the lazy-lookahead buffer in VAX_Pascal
>without doing a read or writeln?  I've tried system services, and even gone
>so far as to write a C routine using flush, none of which had any success.

If I understand the question, are you talking about those strange times
when pascal sometimes sees a terminator and skips past your readln?  If
so, then you can do a reset(input) before the call, thus moving the
type-ahead buffer pointer to the front of the buffer.  If you are
using smg calls then you can use trm$m_tm_purge for the modifiers
field or if you are doing sysqios then io$m_purge should do it too.

Dwayne Spradlin
dwayne@rover.uchicago.edu

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (06/21/89)

eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) (07/22/89)

Has anyone figured out a way to flush the lazy-lookahead buffer in VAX_Pascal
without doing a read or writeln?  I've tried system services, and even gone
so far as to write a C routine using flush, none of which had any success.

Ed Mills
Harris Semiconductor
Melbourne, FL  32901

twtick@OUTLAW.UWYO.EDU (Thomas M Wilson) (05/15/91)

Someone asked how to use DCL commands from a Pascal program on a VMS machine.
You need to use the LIB$SPAWN command.  I don't have the specifics on how to
use it with me, but it basically spawns another process to execute the command
sent.  Check the VAX Pascal guides for the exact way to call this routine.

				Tom Wilson
				twtick@corral.uwyo.edu