[comp.lang.pascal] Bios Address

Harold.Ruby@farwest.FidoNet.Org (Harold Ruby) (05/16/91)

    I'd like to apologize in advance for this blatantly off-topic post.
However, there is no other area available where technical questions may be
asked.. I only hope that the readers of this network find it a compliment that
I would seek help from them. (It's not really that far off topic considering
SOME of the things I've seen here <G>)

    I have an old XT with a VIC 20 and a DAK bios. None of this info is
important though, what I need to know is how to low-level format my Segate
238-R (RLL) harddrive.. I've lost the controller manual - but the segment
address is fairly standard for this sort of thing..

(C:\DOS> debug
-g ????:????
; then the hard drive controller card's bios is called up and a program
; to low-level format the harddrive begins.. Polling questions about
; various aspects of the hard drive.

**>> I just need to know what the ????:???? address to get the ball rolling
       (that is, to execute a lowlevel format).

Thanks in advance,
Harold

 * Origin: !/\/\egalon (1:106/1999)

Jonathan.Bradshaw@thevoid.fidonet.org (Jonathan Bradshaw) (05/18/91)

In a message of <May 16 21:07>, Harold Ruby (Harold.Ruby@farwest.FidoNet.Org )
writes:

 HR>    I'd like to apologize in advance for this blatantly off-topic post.
 HR>However, there is no other area available where technical questions may be
 HR>asked.. I only hope that the readers of this network find it a compliment
 HR>that
 HR>I would seek help from them. (It's not really that far off topic considering
 HR>SOME of the things I've seen here <G>)
 HR>    I have an old XT with a VIC 20 and a DAK bios. None of this info is
 HR>important though, what I need to know is how to low-level format my Segate
 HR>238-R (RLL) harddrive.. I've lost the controller manual - but the segment
 HR>address is fairly standard for this sort of thing..

 HR>(C:\DOS> debug

   -g c800:005

That'll do it.

 * Origin: VOIDian Gateway of Michiana (thevoid.fidonet.org) (1:227/1.6)