[comp.lang.pascal] HOW TO LET TP6.0 USE RAM DRIVE INSTEAD OF HARD DISK?

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Q.Zhou) (05/17/91)

My hard disk is a bit slow. So when I worked on TP5.5, I moved all tpu's
to ram drive. However, on TP6.0, the hard disk is always being used. Is
there any way to let TP6.0 use ram drive?

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (05/17/91)

In article <11907@j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Q.Zhou) writes:
>My hard disk is a bit slow. So when I worked on TP5.5, I moved all tpu's
>to ram drive. However, on TP6.0, the hard disk is always being used. Is
>there any way to let TP6.0 use ram drive?

I'd guess a large part of the disk activity is swapping overlays.  You could
put TURBO.EXE onto the ramdisk, or leave enough free EMS that it can use
that for overlays.  (You may have to enable EMS use; I forget exactly how
to do that.)

Duncan Murdoch

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/18/91)

In article <11907@j.cc.purdue.edu> zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Q.Zhou) writes:
>My hard disk is a bit slow. So when I worked on TP5.5, I moved all tpu's
>to ram drive. However, on TP6.0, the hard disk is always being used. Is
>there any way to let TP6.0 use ram drive?

I'm not sure if I'm right and if this helps, but 4.0 had a somewhat
similar problem.  The solution then was transfer the necessary Turbo
Pascal entourage to the ramdisk.  It should not be overly difficult
to construct a batch to do the copying for you at the start of you
TP session.  (The reason I'm not sure, is that even if I have also
6.0, I prefer to use 5.0).

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

Patrick_Devine@resbbs.UUCP (Patrick Devine) (05/19/91)

Just copy TP6.0 to your RAM disk.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

patrick_devine@resbbs  -   ignorance is a way of life

bj_stedm@g2.brispoly.ac.uk (Bruce Stedman (Hagar)) (05/22/91)

You can do what I do, and remove Dos, Crt, Printer and Overlay from
TURBO.TPL using the tpl manager, leave them in your TP directory, along
with GRAPH.TPU, and in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file, copy C:\TP\*.TPU E:\
(or wherever things live for you), and then change the Directories
option (Alt-O D) to put E:\ at the front of the path for finding units.

This way, a smaller TURBO.TPL is read in, and to get the other TPU
files TP6.0 only has to look on E:\ - thus no HD access.

You can also tell it to put its swap file (TPXXXXXX.$$$) on the E: drive
aswell. If you have EMS then it wont actually have to use this swap
file, but at least it doesn't have to open it on the HD.

You can of course set the destination drive to E:\ for TPU's and EXE's.
That will mean less disk access on compiling.
If you have a disk cache, then by doing this you can re-compile the
whole program without *any* hard disk access!

Alternatively, if you have a *lot* of ramdrive, then copy the whole
of TURBO.EXE (and TURBO.TP of course) to E:, but still keep C:\TP as
your turbo directory in the config file.

BJS

PS - If you have only a 286, then don't forget that you cannot us
TD286 with an XMS ramdrive, as the XMS handler in TD286 was written by a
third party and does not actually support the XMS standard. (Intel,
Microsoft, AST & perhaps Lotus) [I got this from Borland UK]
This article may be distributed freely, providing this message is in%#$: