[comp.lang.pascal] Why don't you use subjects

V4039%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Stan Horwitz) (05/22/91)

It seems that many  postings to Pascal-l do not contain a  subject in the mail
header.  In consideration of other subscribers  who receive a lot of mail from
different sources throughout  the day please specify a subject  when sending a
new posting to pascal-l.  This will enable recipients of mail from pascal-l to
quickly  select only  the postings  of  potential interesting.   To those  who
continue to exclude a subject heading from list postings, understand that some
people simply delete such postings without  first reading them.  I do not have
time to go through postings which do not have a subject and if the topic being
discussed were important, than surely a subject would be included.

Stan Horwitz, Consultant    | Bitnet           | Internet
Temple University           | V4039@TEMPLEVM   | V4039@VM.TEMPLE.EDU

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (05/23/91)

In article <26968@adm.brl.mil> V4039%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@uga.cc.uga.edu ( Stan Horwitz) writes:
>It seems that many  postings to Pascal-l do not contain a  subject in the mail
>header.  In consideration of other subscribers  who receive a lot of mail from
>different sources throughout  the day please specify a subject  when sending a
>new posting to pascal-l.  This will enable recipients of mail from pascal-l to
>quickly  select only  the postings  of  potential interesting.   To those  who
>continue to exclude a subject heading from list postings, understand that some
>people simply delete such postings without  first reading them.  I do not have
>time to go through postings which do not have a subject and if the topic being
>discussed were important, than surely a subject would be included.

Right on!

1. *****
 Q: What does "Subject: Re: none" mean in the news?

 A: It means that someone has posted a message without a subject
header. This is a irrational thing to do. On top of that net rules
don't exactly love it, consider the way in which many readers (I
included) read the news. Because of the deluge of postings, readers
first scan the headers (e.g. in rn use =) to decide if anything is
worth a closer look. The most likely result is that postings with no
subjects, or uninformative subjects (such as "Help urgently needed",
"Information requested", "A question", "Read this", and so on) get
summarily bypassed.
   Conclusion: If you post, use informative subject headers. That
way your posting has a much better chance of being noticed by the
potentially interested parties.
Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

John G. Spragge <SPRAGGEJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (05/24/91)

Because we're OBJECT-oriented programmers, of course!

Sorry- I couldn't resist.

disclaimer: Queen's University supplies me with computer services, not
            my opinions.

John G. Spragge