[comp.lang.pascal] Error intercepting.

woodc@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Major Havok) (05/31/91)

  I was wondering if anyone can give me information on how to intercept
error handling procedures in DOS. I wish to be able to write a TSR
program that will send/receive data using a serial or parrellel port
if certain drive errors occur. I can't write a TSR using the critical
error handler because when you enter DOS it will reinstall the original
error handler. (Atleast I don't know how to write a TSR to hook onto
this interrupt handler.) Here is a description of the project that I
need this information for....

  I have two computers hooked up together using a parrellel cable. I
wish to install a TSR on both computers to allow them to operate
similar to a LAN. One computer has hard drives labeled C: to E:, the
other has drives labeled C: to F:. At either machine I wish to be able
to access 'imaginary' drives G: to I:. DOS would get an error when I
try to access these drives from either machine, the TSR should
intercept this error message and attempt to establish a connection
with the other machine before verifying the error. If a connection
can be made and drives G: through I: can be simulated, then the error
is canceled and data will be transfered from one computer to the other,
otherwise the error message is displayed and the normal error handler
will be invoked.

  Can anyone tell me if there is any way I can possibly latch on to
the critical error handler from DOS? If not, does anyone know of
any other way to do this? Thanks in advance...

Chris Wood
(woodc@jacobs.cs.orst.edu)

s2525090@techst02.technion.ac.il (Eran Davidov) (05/31/91)

I don't know of a way to intercept the DOS critical error handler, but you
could write a device driver that will simulate drives G: and I: so that whenever
dos would try to access these drives, it will actually call your program, which
in turn will access the parallel port.

				Eran Davidov

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (05/31/91)

woodc@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Major Havok) writes:

>  I have two computers hooked up together using a parrellel cable. I
>wish to install a TSR on both computers to allow them to operate
>similar to a LAN. One computer has hard drives labeled C: to E:, the
>other has drives labeled C: to F:. At either machine I wish to be able
>to access 'imaginary' drives G: to I:. DOS would get an error when I
>try to access these drives from either machine, the TSR should
>intercept this error message and attempt to establish a connection
>with the other machine before verifying the error. If a connection
>can be made and drives G: through I: can be simulated, then the error
>is canceled and data will be transfered from one computer to the other,
>otherwise the error message is displayed and the normal error handler
>will be invoked.

Get the $25 network.  Only $26.50, including shipping.  (800) 628-7992

Currently, they only support serial connections (up to 115Kb), but
supposedly the next release (known informally as the $75 network) will
suppose parallel connections (at 3 or 4 times the speed of the serial
connection)
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)