[comp.lang.pascal] Converting tp5.5 to TPW usint wincrt. Data memory problems

gm_clule@g2.brispoly.ac.uk (cluley) (06/04/91)

This is my first go on the net.. so I hope I don't make
any mistakes!

I have been trying to convert tp5.5 programs to TPW using the
simple wincrt unit.  The problem is that even on fairly small
programs (those which tp5.5 says have a data size of about
30k) I have been receiving "Data segment too large" messages at the
end of compilation.

If these compiled fine under tp5.5.. why shouldnt they work under
TPW..  Do I have to re-write them using pointers and dynamic
techniques?  (I'd really rather not..)

At the moment all I want to do is produce a very simple windows
application.. I'll play around with the more sophisticated aspects
of TPW when i have this sorted out..

Many thanks

Gray

"Bah! Humbug" - Sidney Widdershins

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun4.104355.4935@g2.brispoly.ac.uk> gm_clule@g2.brispoly.ac.uk (cluley) writes:

>This is my first go on the net.. so I hope I don't make
>any mistakes!
>
>I have been trying to convert tp5.5 programs to TPW using the
>simple wincrt unit.  The problem is that even on fairly small
>programs (those which tp5.5 says have a data size of about
>30k) I have been receiving "Data segment too large" messages at the
>end of compilation.
>
>If these compiled fine under tp5.5.. why shouldnt they work under
>TPW..  Do I have to re-write them using pointers and dynamic
>techniques?  (I'd really rather not..)

The memory map under TPW is quite different.  I don't have the manuals
at home, so I may get this wrong, but I think they've put the stack and
near heap into the same segment as static data and constants.  I can't
remember what the near heap is used for, so I don't know how small you
can safely make it, but I think the manual discusses it.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu