[comp.lang.pascal] Anybody know of a .BGI file running a printer?

ravn@imada.ou.dk (Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen) (06/12/91)

Does .BGI files have to run on the screen?

Doing a project involving graphics output to the printer I wondered if
it was necessary to make the whole graphic core by myself if a
standard package is available.  The thought suggested it self (having
worked with a variant of GEM long back), that having done the routine
layout on the graphic screen all you needed was to switch outputdevice
and run it again to get a printer/plotter copy.

Have *anybody* heard of this for Turbo Pascal?

I have been told that the .BGI files are freely distributable, but if
this goes as far as actually releasing the fileformat is pretty
relevant here.

Before flaming me (if necessary) -- I am a newcomer to Turbo
Programming, but have programmed a lot in non-IBM enviroments, which
is why I may have asked something thats been asked before.

Suggestions welcome, all help appreciated

--
Thorbj\o{}rn Ravn Andersen 'Normally I kill people for money.  You are my
ravn@imada.ou.dk            friend; I will kill you for nothing' -- Chico Marx

warren@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Warren Harrison) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.131422.5951@imada.ou.dk> ravn@imada.ou.dk (Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen) writes:
>Doing a project involving graphics output to the printer I wondered if
>it was necessary to make the whole graphic core by myself if a
>standard package is available.  The thought suggested it self (having
>worked with a variant of GEM long back), that having done the routine
>layout on the graphic screen all you needed was to switch outputdevice
>and run it again to get a printer/plotter copy.
>
>Have *anybody* heard of this for Turbo Pascal?

I use GraphLink from VisiTech Software, and have for quite a while now.
It is a very slick package - I have distributed well over a thousand
copies of a product that uses it with nary a complaint. You should be
able to get GraphLink through the Programmer's Connection or Programmer's
Shop. If not, send me e-mail and I'll get the address/phone number (my
stuff is at home and I'm not). I recommend it quite highly.

Warren

Warren Harrison                                          warren@cs.pdx.edu
Center for Software Quality Research                          503/725-3108
Portland State University/CMPS