[comp.lang.pascal] Editors

yimling@geography.leeds.ac.uk (Yim Ling Siu) (06/11/91)

Hello,

I am trying to find source code for a good editor with column move
facilities; all the editors I have retrieved to date have only
block operations, but not column operations. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Yim Ling Siu. (yimling@geog.leeds.ac.uk)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/12/91)

In article <27166@adm.brl.mil> yimling@geography.leeds.ac.uk (Yim Ling Siu) writes:
>I am trying to find source code for a good editor with column move
>facilities; all the editors I have retrieved to date have only
>block operations, but not column operations. Can anyone help?

/pc/editor/qedit21.zip has column operations (when properly
configured).

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

nkraft@bkhouse.cts.com (Norman Kraft) (06/13/91)

yimling@geography.leeds.ac.uk (Yim Ling Siu) writes:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to find source code for a good editor with column move
> facilities; all the editors I have retrieved to date have only
> block operations, but not column operations. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks
> Yim Ling Siu. (yimling@geog.leeds.ac.uk)

QEdit can do column moves, if used and set up correctly. Unfortunately,
it's not the easiest editor in the world to use. MicroEmacs has a few
rogue versions wandering about that handle column operations, but of
course that's written in C. Day to day, I use Brief and am more than
satisfied with it, and it has very handy and easy column marks, moves,
etc.

If you're looking to write it into one, though, be sure to base your
extensions on an editing algorithm that is not just a glorified line
editor (as many are). Adding column operations to these is a nightmare,
and is one reason why it is found so rarely in shareware and pd code.

Norman Kraft	                          INET :  nkraft@bkhouse.cts.com
Senior Partner                            UUCP :  crash!bkhouse!nkraft
Argus Computing                           GEnie:  N.KRAFT3
San Diego, CA                             FIDO :  1:102/943

"Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler." - A. Einstein

John G. Spragge <SPRAGGEJ@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (06/15/91)

In article <9106128274@bkhouse.cts.com>, nkraft@bkhouse.cts.com (Norman Kraft)
says:

>If you're looking to write it into one, though, be sure to base your
>extensions on an editing algorithm that is not just a glorified line
>editor (as many are). Adding column operations to these is a nightmare,
>and is one reason why it is found so rarely in shareware and pd code.

What makes an editor a "glorified line editor" in your book, and how is it
different from editors which are not "glorified line editors"?

disclaimer: Queen's University supplies me with computer services, not
            my opinions.

John G. Spragge

nkraft@bkhouse.cts.com (Norman Kraft) (06/15/91)

In article <27166@adm.brl.mil> yimling@geography.leeds.ac.uk (Yim Ling Siu) writes:
>I am trying to find source code for a good editor with column move
>facilities; all the editors I have retrieved to date have only
>block operations, but not column operations. Can anyone help?

There are a number of editors in binary form that support column moves.
A few rogue versions of MicroEMACS (in C), do column operations, and
you may want to look around for one that does. Source is generally available
for ME implementations.

Norman Kraft, Senior Partner              INET :  nkraft@bkhouse.cts.com
Argus Computing, A Partnership            UUCP :  crash!bkhouse!nkraft
Interactive Kiosk Development             GEnie:  N.KRAFT3