[comp.lang.pascal] HELP, WE'RE DROWNING!!

IK00053@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (The Artful Death Dodger) (06/12/91)

Okay, here's the sad sad story:
I attend a branch of the University of Maine, I won't mention which one
but it's the smallest of them all.  We have two minicomputers here that
are our local systems, and we connect to the main campus mainframe for
telnetting and things like that.  The problem is our local systems.

We've had a UNIX system here for a long time.  It runs on an AT&T 3b2/400
minicomputer, and it doesn't do a hell of a lot, but it's better than no
UNIX system at all.  The other system they just got recently is a small
ethernet-linked system called Novell.  Novell runs an MS-DOS equivalent
operating system, and it's the most doggish thing I've seen in years.

Okay, here's the problem:
(1) Nobody here who uses the computers likes the Novell system.
(2) The only people who like the Novell system are the Admins.
(3) The Admins are overruling that mass populace and want to dump
    the UNIX system in the trashcan and switch over completely to
    the Novell system.

Now, I don't know about you all, but that's the worst thing that could
happen here for me.  I couldn't stand watching a perfectly good UNIX
system go down the drain in favor of an MS-DOS based minicomputer.

The resolution:
What I propose to do is this:  see if there are UNIX pascal and C
compilers that will install on the AT&T 3b2/400.  This is what I am
looking for.  I want to set up the UNIX system so that the computer
classes can be taught here on the UNIX (instead of using the Novell
quivalent, which is Turbo C and Turbo Pascal, even bigger dogs than
the system itself is) so that they'll trash the Novell system instead
of the UNIX.

This is a desparate situation!

If anyone out there has any knowledge of where to find a C or Pascal
compiler for an AT&T 3b2/400 minicomputer, and knows how to get it and
set it up for operation, I need that information, please!  I'd be
grateful to anyone for any information I can get.  Thanks in advance
and please send all responses to me via E-Mail, so I don't lose them
and they don't get trashed through the newsnet before I get to read
them.  Thanks again for your help in advance.

J. Russell Woodman                              BITNET: IK00053@MAINE
"Death is dead, long live Death!"             INTERNET: IK00053@MAINE.MAINE.EDU

sievert@gypsy.ims.fhg.de (Karsten Sievert) (06/18/91)

IK00053@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (The Artful Death Dodger) writes:

> [...]I couldn't stand watching a perfectly good UNIX
>system go down the drain in favor of an MS-DOS based minicomputer.
I agree.

> [...] Turbo C and Turbo Pascal, even bigger dogs than
>the system itself is)
I disagree. Nothing like it on UNIX as far as I know. Try it!
It's a pitty that it runns only under DOS.

-Clarence