[comp.lang.pascal] TP for Windows ===> Windows only???

6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) (06/13/91)

Am I mistaken or does Turbo Pascal for Windows compile only
Windows software??? In other words, will it also compile
programs that will run from the DOS prompt??

William W. (Boo) Bushing  |  "Life is too important to be
6500boo@ucsbuxa.bitnet    |       taken seriously"
6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |            - Einstein
Marine Biotechnology Lab   Univ. of Calif. Santa Barbara

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (06/13/91)

In article <12064@hub.ucsb.edu> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:

   Am I mistaken or does Turbo Pascal for Windows compile only
   Windows software??? In other words, will it also compile
   programs that will run from the DOS prompt??

TPW for windows applications, TP 6.0 for DOS applications.  If you
need to do both, you have to buy both.

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

bns@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Dollmont) (06/17/91)

6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:

> Am I mistaken or does Turbo Pascal for Windows compile only
> Windows software??? In other words, will it also compile
> programs that will run from the DOS prompt??

This is rapidly becoming an FAQ.  Turbo Pascal for Windows will _only_
compile Windows applications.  It seems that Borland has split the
product line, and Turbo Pascal 6.0 is the latest _DOS_ version.  If you
wish to develop in both environments, you will need _both_ compilers.

Chris

dm2368@eecs1.eecs.usma.edu (Fichten Mark CPT) (06/18/91)

> Chris Dollmont <bns@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca> writes:
>
> 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:
>
> > Am I mistaken or does Turbo Pascal for Windows compile only
> > Windows software??? In other words, will it also compile
> > programs that will run from the DOS prompt??
> >
> This is rapidly becoming an FAQ.  Turbo Pascal for Windows will _only_
> compile Windows applications.  It seems that Borland has split the
> product line, and Turbo Pascal 6.0 is the latest _DOS_ version.  If you
> wish to develop in both environments, you will need _both_ compilers.

I want to make a comment regarding what Chris said.  TPW will only
produce EXECUTABLES that will run under Windows.  However, it CAN
compile code written in the 'DOS' versions of TP if they are very very
basic, don't use the DOS TPU and don't do anything but basic screen IO.
To do this, Borland has included a TPU called WinCRT.  You can take a
program written in TP 6 or 5.5, etc. and include WinCRT and it will
compile.  AGAIN(!), it can't do anything but basic screen IO, etc.

This is one way we check our student's code that they write under TP 5.5/6.0.
Many of the professors/instructors here run Windows so they just load
TPW, load the file, type uses WinCRT; and they compile.  Since many of the
undergraduates code (primarilly CS105) don't use anything too gee-wiz,
they usually compile just fine.

CPT Mark Fichten      | INTERNET: fichten@eecs1.eecs.usma.edu              |
Captain U.S. Army     |           @trotter.edu:dm2368@eecs1.eecs.usma.edu  |
Work: (914) 938-5580  | USENET:   rutgers.edu!trotter!eecs1!dm2368         |
Home: (914) 446-8242  |           harvard.edu!trotter!eecs1!dm2368         |

speedy@vax.oxford.ac.uk (06/19/91)

In article <12064@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6500boo@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (William Bushing) writes:
> Am I mistaken or does Turbo Pascal for Windows compile only
> Windows software??? In other words, will it also compile
> programs that will run from the DOS prompt??

I have been relaibly informed by borland in the UK that it only compiles
windows programs--Shame because it is about half the price of the professional
version