[comp.lang.pascal] Turbo 5.5 vs 6.0

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/21/91)

In article <9106210330.AA22569@lux.sait.edu.au> et891856@LUX.SAIT.EDU.AU (et891856) writes:
>At the moment I have Turbo 5.5.  is it worth my while upgrading to
>turbo 6.0.  Does it compile faster, produce faster code or does it
>just take up more disk space?  I have a twin floppy XT system.

There are some views on this in /pc/ts/tsfaq21.arc (but you also
should be getting "second opinnions").

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

et891856@LUX.SAIT.EDU.AU (et891856) (06/21/91)

At the moment I have Turbo 5.5.  is it worth my while upgrading to
turbo 6.0.  Does it compile faster, produce faster code or does it
just take up more disk space?  I have a twin floppy XT system.

thanks in advance
tony
--
Anthony Nuttall et891856@lux.sait.edu.au        University of South Australia

"Baldrick, go forth into the streets and announce that Lord BlackAdder wishes
 to sell his house. Percy, just go forth into the streets"

Edmund BlackAdder  , "Money", BlackAdder II

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (06/22/91)

In article <9106210330.AA22569@lux.sait.edu.au> et891856@LUX.SAIT.EDU.AU (et891856) writes:
>At the moment I have Turbo 5.5.  is it worth my while upgrading to
>turbo 6.0.  Does it compile faster, produce faster code or does it
>just take up more disk space?  I have a twin floppy XT system.

On that hardware I would definitely *not* upgrade.  It isn't faster, on
an XT produces indetectably better code, but does take up a lot of space.
If you don't have a lot of EMS memory, you'll find the IDE unbearably slow,
because it does a lot of overlay swapping.  Doing that to floppy disk would be
horrible.

The main advantages of upgrading are to get the Turbovision library (but
the Object Windows library in TP for Windows is probably a smarter thing to
spend your time learning), and the inline assembler.  For most people,
those just aren't worth it.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Q.Zhou) (06/22/91)

In article <9106210330.AA22569@lux.sait.edu.au> et891856@LUX.SAIT.EDU.AU (et891856) writes:
>At the moment I have Turbo 5.5.  is it worth my while upgrading to
>turbo 6.0.  Does it compile faster, produce faster code or does it
>just take up more disk space?  I have a twin floppy XT system.
The main reason I upgraded to 6.0 is TVision. However, for those with slower
machine and less memory, the following facts may be worth considering:

(1) 6.0 takes more memory while in IDE. When you use Graph or TVision, a 640k
machine can easily run out of memory. If one just does conventional Pascal
programming, 640k might suffice in most cases.

(2) The compiler is not faster than 6.0. As a matter of fact, since the compiler
of 6.0 access the disk more frequently than 5.5, I cannot imagine anyone can
stand the compiling process of a dual-floppy drive system.

(3) 6.0 uses swap technique which takes advantage of EMS or lightning fast
IDE hard drive to run a big program like TP6.0 IDE without taking up a lot of
system memory. For the floppy drive system users, TP6.0 is like a hell. Almost
every keystroke on TP6.0 IDE evokes the annoying noises generated by the floppy
drive reading data from the diskette, and a torturing delayed response.

(4) Besides using swap technique, TP6.0 sets up a standard for all file-
related operations in IDE to automatically display directory/file information
in the dialog box, which is completely inconsiderate to floppy drive system
users. Rather than mentioning "hard drive recommended", the ad for TP6.0
should state "very unpleasant without hard drive".