[comp.lang.pascal] Programming in Windows Borland Style

morin@ecs.umass.edu (06/19/91)

Quick Question:

What is ObjectVision?  I have seen the ads for it, but am not sure what it
does.  Is it also included in Turbo Pascal for Windows?  Also, is there a
good book which teaches one how to program Windows with Turbo Pascal?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) (06/22/91)

In article <13992.285f61bc@ecs.umass.edu> morin@ecs.umass.edu writes:

 > What is ObjectVision?

ObjectVision == standalone forms-based programming package for Windows,
  (based on a spreadsheet formula paradigm)
TurboVision == text-mode object-oriented application framework for TP 6.0
  (provides menus and windows for DOS-based applications)
ObjectWindows == Windows 3.0 application framework for TP for Windows
  (easier access and use of Windows interface without using SDK)

Savvy?  I do wish Borland had used less-easily confused names.

 > Is it also included in Turbo Pascal for Windows?

TurboVision is included with 6.0, Objectwindows is included with TP4W.

 > Also, is there a good book which teaches one how to program Windows with
 > Turbo Pascal?

Well, the manuals which come with Borland compilers generally include a
fairly good tutorial...

--
Above text where applicable is (c) Copyleft 1991, all rights deserved by:
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang) [INTERNET: pshuang@athena.mit.edu]

bns@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Chris Dollmont) (06/24/91)

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) writes:

>  > Also, is there a good book which teaches one how to program Windows with
>  > Turbo Pascal?
>
> Well, the manuals which come with Borland compilers generally include a
> fairly good tutorial...

And the key word here is _generally_.  If you had to rely only on the TPW
documentation to write programs with TPW, you would go quite mad in a
short period of time.  Much is missing from the documentation (for
example, there is no _good_ discussion on installing hooks), and you will
need a supplement.

One good supplement is Charles Petzold's Programming Windows version 3
(ISBN 1-55615-264-7).  Naturally, all the sample code is in C, but the
principles are the same and the book is extremely helpful.  Microsoft
also makes a subset of the SDK documentation available, but I cannot
remember the name of the book.  It is published by Microsoft Press,
though, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

After two months of intense Windows programming, I find that I almost
never access the Borland documentation.  Most of it available on-line,
and the stuff that's not on-line is next to useless, anyway.  Petzold's
book has become invaluable, however.

Chris