[comp.lang.pascal] TP6: out of memory & change startup directory

s2942275@techst02.technion.ac.il (Yaniv Golan) (06/24/91)

Hi,

I've got two questions :

1. Can i convince TP6 to look for it's files in a directory other than it's
   startup directory?
   I am trying to load TP6 from a certain directory, and convince it to look
   for TURBO.HLP and TURBO.TPL in a different directory. Append won't work
   since it's a Novell network i am talking about.

2. I have at home a 286 machine with 1MB. when i am runnig TP6 on it, i get
   about 170K left for my program. This is not enough to compile TVDEMO.PAS
   for example. I do not have expanded memory, only extended. Is there anyway
   to have more memory available for compilation? i'd rather stick to the IDE
   and not switch to TPC if possible. TP6 occupy 300K in memory...

Thanx,

--
Yaniv Golan
s2942275@techst02.technion.ac.il

jbb@mvaxcs1.cse.nau.edu (Jon Bonnell) (06/25/91)

In article <27279@adm.brl.mil> s2942275@techst02.technion.ac.il (Yaniv Golan) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I've got two questions :
>
>1. Can i convince TP6 to look for it's files in a directory other than it's
>   startup directory?
>   I am trying to load TP6 from a certain directory, and convince it to look
>   for TURBO.HLP and TURBO.TPL in a different directory. Append won't work
>   since it's a Novell network i am talking about.

In the Environment go to the Options Menu and change the files.  You
can place all directories that the IDE should look for files (your .HLP
etc.).

>2. I have at home a 286 machine with 1MB. when i am runnig TP6 on it, i get
>   about 170K left for my program. This is not enough to compile TVDEMO.PAS
>   for example. I do not have expanded memory, only extended. Is there anyway
>   to have more memory available for compilation? i'd rather stick to the IDE
>   and not switch to TPC if possible. TP6 occupy 300K in memory...

To compile any TVisions file you will have this problem.  They are
huge.  What you want the IDE to do is compile and execute from disk instaed
of memory.  Again, go to the OPTIONS menu and choose compiler options.
You'll see it.

>Thanx,
>
>--
>Yaniv Golan
>s2942275@techst02.technion.ac.il

You're welcome.

--
Jon Bonnell                "Like I always say --
jbb@mvaxcs1.cse.nau.edu       Why Jack off when you can jack in?"

Disclaimer :NAU has no opinion and I have mine...

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (06/25/91)

In article <3833@naucse.cse.nau.edu> jbb@mvaxcs1.cse.nau.edu (Jon Bonnell) writes:

>To compile any TVisions file you will have this problem.  They are
>huge.  What you want the IDE to do is compile and execute from disk instaed
>of memory.  Again, go to the OPTIONS menu and choose compiler options.
>You'll see it.

Minor correction:  the compile destination is part of the Compile menu,
not the Options menu.  Another good idea is to go to the Options Linker
menu and set the link buffer to disk; this will slow things down a bit,
but lets you link bigger programs.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu