[comp.lang.pascal] TP6 : Out of memory

s2942275@techst02.technion.ac.il (Yaniv Golan) (06/25/91)

Thanx for all the answers i got for my question about how to enable TP6 to
compile huge programs such as TVDEMO.PAS. But none of them helped me, since
i already set everything possible to go to disk (link to disk, compile to disk,
etc.).
Maybe i should rephrase my question : What does TP6 use the EMS for ? Can it
use it as additional memory for compilation or just as a quick mean to access
overlays ? The Get Info option reports on my system that TP6 uses 300K of my
memory. Is that the way it is with other configurations?
Also - if i can't compile the DEMO program, how can i expect to compile a real
TVision application ?

--
Yaniv Golan
s2942275@techst02.technion.ac.il

dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu (Duncan Murdoch) (06/26/91)

In article <27295@adm.brl.mil> s2942275@techst02.technion.ac.il (Yaniv Golan) writes:
>Maybe i should rephrase my question : What does TP6 use the EMS for ? Can it
>use it as additional memory for compilation or just as a quick mean to access
>overlays ?

It uses it for buffers for files, and maybe for something else in compiling.
I have no trouble compiling TVDEMO, but when I look in the File Get info menu,
I see Turbo is using 350K of EMS as well as 268K of regular RAM.

Duncan Murdoch
dmurdoch@watstat.waterloo.edu

defaria@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Andy DeFaria) (06/27/91)

>/ hpcupt3:comp.lang.pascal / s2942275@techst02.technion.ac.il (Yaniv Golan) / 11:01 pm  Jun 24, 1991 /
>Thanx for all the answers i got for my question about how to enable TP6 to
>compile huge programs such as TVDEMO.PAS. But none of them helped me, since
>i already set everything possible to go to disk (link to disk, compile to disk,
>etc.).
>Maybe i should rephrase my question : What does TP6 use the EMS for ? Can it
>use it as additional memory for compilation or just as a quick mean to access
>overlays ? The Get Info option reports on my system that TP6 uses 300K of my
>memory. Is that the way it is with other configurations?
>Also - if i can't compile the DEMO program, how can i expect to compile a real
>TVision application ?

Actually I think your problem is the  fact that you have *extended* instead
of *expanded* memory.  TP  will only use  conventional memory or *expanded*
memory.  I have the same problem.  You  could run a  driver that will allow
you to partition some *extended* memory as *expanded* and thus give TP more
memory to work with.  The only one  I found was  something like EMM386.SYS.
Since I only have a 286 I'm stuck.  I could  search for a  driver but since
Windows uses *extended* memory and I'm not  that trilled  with TV I figured
that I would be better if I let Windows use the memory and stick  to non-TV
based  TP code until I could  get a PC with more  horsepower and eventually
move to TPW.

Of course I could be all wrong!