[sci.research] Room Temperature Superconductors

bk0h#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (04/06/87)

I've recently been hearing about assorted developments in "Room Temperature"
superconductors. Does anyone have any hard information on them (operating
temperature, electrical characteristics, etc) or pointers to this
information?

		Thanx,
			Brett

--
bk0h@andrew.cmu.edu

hughes@hrc63.co.uk (Andrew C. Hughes) (05/01/87)

In article <oURlKgy00UhBZtE0F=@andrew.cmu.edu>, bk0h#@andrew.cmu.edu (Brett Kuehner) writes:

> I've recently been hearing about assorted developments in "Room Temperature"
> superconductors. Does anyone have any hard information on them (operating
> temperature, electrical characteristics, etc) or pointers to this
> information?

As you probably already know there has been great leaps forward in "high
temperature" superconductors in the last few months. Superconductors now
exist at around 90K which is above the boiling point of nitrogen and hence
potentially extremely practical.

However, in the last few weeks I have read about two claims for "near" romm
temperature superconductors, one eminating from USSR and I cannot remember
where the other was from. According to an article I was reading in a British
Computer rag (Computer Weekly, April 23) these claims have not been
substantiated but there is considerable progress being made towards higher
temperature superconductors.

Anyone know anything else about this? Could revolutionise many different
fields. Fusion reactors this century ????

Andrew Hughes

UUCP: ..!seismo!mcvax!ukc!a.gec-mrc.co.uk!hughes

ARPA: hughes%a.gec-mrc.co.uk@ucl-cs.ac.uk

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (05/04/87)

In article <158@hrc63.co.uk> hughes@hrc63.co.uk (Andrew C. Hughes) writes:
>However, in the last few weeks I have read about two claims for "near" romm
>temperature superconductors, one eminating from USSR and I cannot remember
>where the other was from. According to an article I was reading in a British
>Computer rag (Computer Weekly, April 23) these claims have not been
>substantiated but there is considerable progress being made towards higher
>temperature superconductors.

There have been reports of "anomalies" at about 240K in one of the
new 90K superconductors:  a compound of barium, yttrium, copper, and
oxygen, I believe.  The speculation is that there are two phases of
the compound and that one is superconductive at 240K (-33 C -- not
cold at all, really).  I don't think anyone has isolated the pure
240K material (assuming it's real); it would be a pity if it exists
but is unstable.

--
- Joe Buck    {hplabs,ihnp4,sun,ames}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
	      seismo!epiwrl!epimass!jbuck

buyno@voder.UUCP (Matthew Buynoski) (05/04/87)

	The scoop on the "room temp" superconductors:

	a. Some people at Wayne State saw a resistive anomaly at 240K, NOT
superconductivity. This anomaly is interesting in itself and is still being
studied.
	b. There was an unfortunate copy error (really) in a popular article
on the new superconductors, which got widely repeated.
	c. At this time, the highest known temps reported vary from about
98K to 92K, depending on whether you are talking about the onset temp (first
noticeable drop in R) or the point of full superconductivity, respectively.

jfm@mcnc.UUCP (John F. Mansfield) (05/04/87)

	Further information on the high temperature superconductors can
be found in any recent issue of J. App. Phys. (Letters), Nature, Japanese J. App
Phys. (Letters) and also for more general stuff The New York Times, The
London Times, and just about any other newspaper you care to mention!
	If you want further info e-mail me and I'll fill you in a little
more.

--
"See you at the barricades babe, see you when the lights go low Joe,
 Hear you when the wheels turn round, some day when the sky turns black."

wolfl@zaphod.UUCP (05/08/87)

In article <oURlKgy00UhBZtE0F=@andrew.cmu.edu> bk0h#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:
>I've recently been hearing about assorted developments in "Room Temperature"
>superconductors. Does anyone have any hard information on them (operating
>temperature, electrical characteristics, etc) or pointers to this
>information?

Scientific American circa 1976 +- 1yr, published an article entitled
"Organic Superconductors".  The topic was entirely speculative, but one
of the predicted properties was room temperature superconductivity.

			-Wolf-