[net.sf-lovers] frobs vs fobs

cwr%WHITE@sri-unix.UUCP (04/24/84)

From:  Craig W. Reynolds <cwr at WHITE>

    Date: 13 Apr 84 14:23:00-PST (Fri)
    From: pur-ee!uiucdcs!uicsl!keller @ Ucb-Vax
    Subject: Re: "Press Enter []" by John Varley
    In "the Hacker's Dictionary" ...  BTW, when I was in grade school I
    thought of a Frob as a little medallion that construction workers
    wore from their belt showing a picture of something like a backhoe
    or bulldozer.
    -Shaun ...uiucdcs!uicsl!keller (from the birthplace of HAL)

Perhaps, but when *I* was a kid, the word for what you are describing
was "fob".  They were used a lot to hold watches (not just decorative
emblems), particularly by train crews and other heavy equipment
operators.  Watches on fobs tended to get less shock damage than wrist
watches.  'Course, that was back in the ol' days, back when watches used
to be mechanical widgets ...

Having a frob attached to your belt would be another thing entirely!
-c