[sci.research] Info needed...

dl23+@andrew.cmu.edu (Damon Wayne Lipparelli) (11/19/87)

Hello.  I don't know if this is appropriate question for this bboard, but I
don't know where else to turn....

My boss has me looking for any information concerning materials research in
the field of Hydrogen Energy.  He's looking for the current progress in the
field (ie, what's being done, who's doing it, and how are they doing whatever
they're doing.)  My job has been to search our library for any information on
this relatively obscure topic.  Unfortunately, I haven't had _any_ luck.

My question is:  Does anyone out there have any information or pointers to
information concerning this?  Any help would be appreciated.

Please send any replies to me:

dl23+@andrew.cmu.edu

Thanks in advance,

Damon Lipparelli

oconnor@sunray.steinmetz (Dennis Oconnor) (11/20/87)

In an article  dl23+@andrew.cmu.edu (Damon Wayne Lipparelli) writes:
>... looking for any information concerning materials research in
>the field of Hydrogen Energy.  He's looking for the current progress in the
>field (ie, what's being done, who's doing it, and how are they doing whatever
>they're doing.) ...
>Please send any replies to me:  dl23+@andrew.cmu.edu

Are you talking about hydrogen-combustion energy, the basis of the
"hydrogen economy" dream? Storage technology (Lithium hydride?)?
Combution technology ? Production technology ? Materials?!?

Or are you talking about spin-polarized hydrogen? This stuff's supposed
to have the highest energy yield per pound of any non-nuclear energy
source. Apparantly the Army is big on this stuff. I think it works
like this : take a whole bunch of monatomic hydrogen. Make all the
spins line up the same way ( with a big mag-field, I guess ). This
stores a tremendoues amount of energy in the stored hydrogen. Then
relax the magnetic field and get energy out as some (eventually half)
of the atoms flip to the opposite spin.

I'm just guessing on the details. But as I said, the Army is funding
some research on this stuff, I've heard.
--
	Dennis O'Connor 	oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz.UUCP ??
				ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa

dl23+@andrew.cmu.edu (Damon Wayne Lipparelli) (11/22/87)

I would like to clarify my original post requesting information on Hydrogen
energy.  I work in a materials characterization lab here at Carnegie Mellon.
My boss is looking to start working in the field of Hydrogen energy.  He is
having me research the work that has been and is being done.  He is looking
for any information concerning what is being used in building
Hydrogen-combustion engines (ceramics, etc.) and who is doing the latest
research.

I appreciate any information regarding this research.  Please send all
replies to me at:
	dl23+@andrew.cmu.edu

Thanks again,
Damon Lipparelli

ps:  Thanks to all those who have already sent me information.