[sci.research] Superconductive materials.

haas@Pescadero.stanford.edu (Zygmund Haas) (02/27/88)

Someone pointed out to me that *all* the superconductive materials
that have been created till today are very unstable (maximal stability
of a few days only). Is this really the case? What is the stability
of the ``room temperature'' superconductive materials?
Is it possible to form strong, but flexible long wire-like structures from
these materials?

Also I would appreciate opinions on what is/will be the impact of this
technology on the future engineering?

Thanks.
Zygmunt.
---------

msb@ho5cad.ATT.COM (03/17/88)

In article <17437@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> haas@Pescadero.stanford.edu (Zygmund Haas) writes:

>   Is it possible to form strong, but flexible long wire-like structures from
>   these materials?

I have heard that some folks right here at Bell Labs have succeded in
doing just that.  Don't who or when, though.  I just heard it passing
last week at a talk.

<cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (201) 949-8789
<cute disclaimer>       AT&T Bell Labs
                        Crawfords Corner Road
ihnp4!ho5cad!msb        Holmdel, NJ   07733

govett@avsd.UUCP (David Govett) (03/30/88)

> In article <17437@labrea.STANFORD.EDU> haas@Pescadero.stanford.edu (Zygmund Haas) writes:
>
> >   Is it possible to form strong, but flexible long wire-like structures from
> >   these materials?
>
> I have heard that some folks right here at Bell Labs have succeded in
> doing just that.  Don't who or when, though.  I just heard it passing
> last week at a talk.

I read recently that several Japanese companies have patented and will
soon market superconducting wire.  Don't know its current density, etc.,
though.  BTW, Japanese are afraid US companies will lock up basic
patents on superconducting technology, so they have already filed for
over 2000 patents at $20,000 a pop.