[sci.research] animals of research

jc5z+@andrew.cmu.edu (John L. Cusack) (04/25/88)

Only sick and abnormal people do this crap for a living.  Why don't those of
you who do stuff like this get a real life and do something that is useful.  I
think we should take those doctors who do this experimentation on animals and
do the same on them.  Why don't we take little babies and shock them?  They're
human right, and to do something like that is not humane.  So why do it to
animals if we can't do it for humans?  I hope one more thing to say.  Rot in
HELL you commy bastards.

In article <UWQpB7A97E-01Iw0=q@andrew.cmu.edu> jc5z+@andrew.cmu.edu (John L. Cusack) writes:
>I think we should take those doctors who do this experimentation on animals
>and do the same on them.

There wasn't enough information in the original posting to determine
whether the cited animal research was for its own sake (in which case
I agree that it should not have been done) or in pursuit of some other
problem (in which case it might have been justified).

Consider:  Suppose that you could reduce human suffering and prolong
human life as the probable result of performing experiments that would
require inflicting pain and death on several (non-human) animals, and
that no other approach would succeed.  Would the experiments be justified?
I don't think you need to post answers to this question, just think about
what the appropriate criteria are.

till@didsgn.UUCP (didsgn) (04/26/88)

In article <7767@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <UWQpB7A97E-01Iw0=q@andrew.cmu.edu> jc5z+@andrew.cmu.edu (John L. Cusack) writes:
> >I think we should take those doctors who do this experimentation on animals
> >and do the same on them.
>
> There wasn't enough information in the original posting to determine
> whether the cited animal research was for its own sake (in which case
> I agree that it should not have been done) or in pursuit of some other
> problem (in which case it might have been justified).
>
> Consider:  Suppose that you could reduce human suffering and prolong
> human life as the probable result of performing experiments that would
> require inflicting pain and death on several (non-human) animals, and
> that no other approach would succeed.  Would the experiments be justified?
> I don't think you need to post answers to this question, just think about
> what the appropriate criteria are.

Consider...

What if the answer was "No" ??
There was a profound utterance in A C Clarke's "Deep Range" about how we
might be judged by whoever rises to do so depending on the way we have
treated our fellow creatures...
A frightening thought, is it not?

Till Noever
or     gatech!rebel!didsgn!till

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt) (04/27/88)

In article <UWQpB7A97E-01Iw0=q@andrew.cmu.edu> jc5z+@andrew.cmu.edu (John L. Cusack) writes:
>Only sick and abnormal people do this crap for a living.  Why don't those of
>you who do stuff like this get a real life and do something that is useful.  I
>think we should take those doctors who do this experimentation on animals and
>do the same on them.  Why don't we take little babies and shock them?  They're
>human right, and to do something like that is not humane.  So why do it to
>animals if we can't do it for humans?

I agree with John, and I support him.  In fact, if he will report to HEW
I will see what I can do to see that he is used for drug reaction test
and trauma treatment research.  I am sure thousands of people will approve
of the improved accuracy in the fight against, say, AIDS knowing Mr. Cusack
has volunteered to be used in the testing.  My hat is off to you, John.

Of course, I am not going to do any such stupid thing myself, and much
prefer animals to suffer than children.  Just a matter of tastes, I assume....

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5

jc5z+@andrew.cmu.edu (John L. Cusack) (04/30/88)

> "Suppose that you could reduce human suffering and prolong
> human life as the probable result of performing experiments that would
> require inflicting pain and death on several (non-human) animals, and
> that no other approach would succeed.  Would the experiments be justified?
> I don't think you need to post answers to this question, just think about
> what the appropriate criteria are."

Well I hate to tell you about something like this, since I'm not to answer this
question, but suppose you can reduce human suffering or prolong life.  What
good is there if you don't have anything to eat or other things.  The suffering
would also be that there wouldn't be anything to enjoy if life is prolong for a
long time.  You are suppose to enjoy life, because it's a gift to you as a
human, and you should not take it for granted.

Well since doctors can kill and torture animals, why can't humans kill humans.
It may be against the judgement of God, but what the Hell we can kill Gods
animals so why not kill ourselves.  The point is that everybody is forgetting
that we are also an animal, that God created.

In article <UWSA6EyS2k-01xc0=6@andrew.cmu.edu> jc5z+@andrew.cmu.edu (John L. Cusack) writes:
[Quoting my earlier posting:]
>> I don't think you need to post answers to this question, just think about
>> what the appropriate criteria are."
>It may be against the judgement of God, but what the Hell we can kill Gods
>animals so why not kill ourselves.  The point is that everybody is forgetting
>that we are also an animal, that God created.

The reason I suggested not posting answers is that I rather expected
this sort of argumentation.  It seems that when people's emotions get
involved, their ability to reason goes out the window.  The obvious
counterargument would be that many animals kill other animals as part
of nature's survival scheme.  In any case, the term "animal" was being
originally used to denote non-human animals, as was clear from context.

I don't know what the "sci.research" newsgroup is for, but this
probably isn't it.

johne@astroatc.UUCP (Jonathan Eckrich) (05/02/88)

In article <UWSA6EyS2k-01xc0=6@andrew.cmu.edu> jc5z+@andrew.cmu.edu (John L. Cusack) writes:

>Well I hate to tell you about something like this, since I'm not to answer this
>question, but suppose you can reduce human suffering or prolong life.  What
>good is there if you don't have anything to eat or other things.  The suffering
>would also be that there wouldn't be anything to enjoy if life is prolong for a
>long time.  You are suppose to enjoy life, because it's a gift to you as a
>human, and you should not take it for granted.
>
>Well since doctors can kill and torture animals, why can't humans kill humans.
>It may be against the judgement of God, but what the Hell we can kill Gods
>animals so why not kill ourselves.  The point is that everybody is forgetting
>that we are also an animal, that God created.

I am hesitant to post this to this group because I think this argument is better
left to one of those soap box groups, none of which I subscribe to, but here-
goes anyway.

I take it from your response that you are opposed to the use of animals
for scientific research purposes.  I happen to support such a USE of animals.
I take exception to certain statements in the above text.  I don't fully
understand what the point is of the first paragraph, but the second paragraph
is clear.

Doctors and researchers don't 'torture' or kill animals because it turns them
on.  Many of their jobs would not exsist if they could not use animal subjects.
The results of their work are vastly inmeasurable in their contribution to
improving the quality of life of all humans, and many animal species, including
those species that the animal subjects are/were members of.  Ever since man's
hominids first picked up a bone to fend off an intruding preditor, we have been
using animals to sustain and improve our lives.  Just because today it is done
in schools and hospitals in a considerably more complex, technical way, does not
mean that it is any less important to our survival.  As long as you brought up
the subject of God, I shall continue on that note.  God GAVE us the animals as
gifts not to abuse, but to use by us, for us, for our benefit.  Destroying
individuals for what we as a whole deem a necessary cause, is in no way comp-
arable to mass annihilation of a species, as we nearly did to the buffalo.

I know that you do not condone the killing of humans simply because we currently
kill animals.  In your last statement, you accuse people of forgetting that
we are also animals that God created.  You seem to be forgetting that we are
LIKE the animals in only a very superficial sense.  Our bodies are mere husks
by which the choices we make may be manifested.  The difference is that we have
souls.  Animals have only husks.  We are not gifts to them.  We are not on an
equal level with them, in God's eye's.  They are gifts to us, that are to be
used for our benifit, but not abused.  Most of us probably wouldn't even
exsist if we were never to use animals for our benifit, and this would deny us
the greatest gift we could ever be given, our existance.

--
(rutgers, ames)!uwvax!astroatc!johne | ihnp4!nicmad!astroatc!johne
N1000M,  1948 Stinson 108-3