	Date: 24 Apr 1984 12:16-EST
	From: Bob.Colwell@CMU-CS-G.ARPA
	Subject: Man in the High Castle

	... Why is this book [Dick's] "greatest masterpiece"?  What
	was the point?  Somebody please tell me -- I had to force
	myself through 3/4's of the book, and only the last 3 pages
	were interesting.  And I still didn't understand.

The last three pages explain it all.  If you didn't think the
explanation there did any good, then my explanation will go right past
you too.  Apart from the novelty of Dick's book apparently being the
result of I Ching predictions about how the Second World War resulted,
there is a book contained inside CASTLE (THE GRASSHOPPER LIES HEAVY by
Hawthorne Abendsen) which is in turn the result of I Ching predictions
made in CASTLE's alternate universe.  The I Ching in our universe
appears to predict the universe of THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE, while
the I Ching in the universe of CASTLE appears to predict a universe
like ours instead.  (Not exactly like ours, it's true.) This 'strange
loop' or Yin-Yang symbolism is peculiar enough, but the predictions are
twisted still further: the point of the book is that the literal
conclusion of THE GRASSHOPPER LIES HEAVY is in fact the metaphorical
conclusion of THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE:  Germany and Japan LOST THE
WAR, although they appeared to win it.  Without this explanation, none
of the preceding action with Mr. Tagomi makes any sense whatsoever.
The lesson as applied to the real world I leave as an exercise for the
reader.

Not to pick nits, but THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE is a much better Zen
book than a certain other book reviewed in this space recently.  Does
anyone else have a different interpretation of CASTLE?  (By the way,
Dick was always very fond of 'strange loops' or self-referential
situations; if you like these then try UBIK -- the entire book is a
self-referential joke.  [Yes, boys and girls, 'taken as directed, Ubik
provides uninterrupted sleep without morning-after grogginess.  You
awaken fresh, ready to tackle all those little annoying problems facing
you.  Do not exceed recommended dosage.'])

	Oh, yeah, one more thing.  What makes this book science fiction?

As opposed to fantasy?  It depends on how you classify alternate-world
fiction in general, I think.  Some people consider time travel to be
purely fantasy and won't admit that a story about time travel can be
science fiction, because IT COULDN'T REALLY HAPPEN.  Alternate-world
novels have the same problem except in a more severe form: 'It DIDN'T
really happen.'  I personally tend to dodge the issue and try to classify
SF as 'speculative fiction' rather than 'science fiction', in which case
books like CASTLE fit right in, as social and philosophical speculation.

Of course I may just be dense (don't quote me here) and what you're
really trying to say is CASTLE isn't STARSHIP TROOPERS or THE GRAY
LENSMAN, in which case you're quite right, and we have nothing to
discuss.  (But I don't think so, otherwise why would you have picked up
CASTLE at all?)

A Dick fan,

Donn Seeley    UCSD Chemistry Dept.       ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdchema!donn
32 52' 30"N 117 14' 25"W  (619) 452-4016  sdcsvax!sdchema!donn@nosc.ARPA

cas@cvl.UUCP (Cliff Shaffer) (04/30/84)

I agree,  I didn't care for "The Man in the High Castle" and I can't
imagine HOW it won a Hugo.  I found it terribly dull - interesting idea,
but poorly done.
  In answer to the question,  it is Science Fiction in that it is
depicting a parallel universe.  I would agree that in this case, this is
a weak usage of the term.
	Cliff Shaffer
	...!rlgvax!cvl!cas

paul@ism780.UUCP (05/02/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1264900:ism780:14200002:000:1387
ism780!paul    Apr 30 20:53:00 1984

***** ism780:net.sf-lovers / sri-arpa!ARPA /  6:38 am  Apr 30, 1984
> I just read Philip Dick's "The Man in the High Castle" ...  Why is this
> book his "greatest masterpiece"?

It happens to be the one that won a Hugo award (1962 or 3?).  He's written
worse, but also much better.  My favorites are "All We Marsmen" (published
as "Martian Time-Slip" by idiot publishers) and "The Divine Invasion".

> What was the point?  Somebody please tell me -- I had to force myself
> through 3/4's of the book, and only the last 3 pages were interesting.
> And I still didn't understand.

When I first encountered Dick's writing, I didn't like it - it didn't read
like "real SF".  Years later I gave him another try, and was hooked.  People
generally react one way or the other.

> Oh, yeah, one more thing.  What makes this book science fiction?  (Other
> than the label on the front cover that says "Berkley (sic) science
> fiction")

Well, the publishing industry defines "science fiction" as "books that have
the words `science fiction' on the cover".  Actually, the fact that it takes
place in an "alternate" or "parallel" universe contemporary with but
different from our own (you DID notice, didn't you :-)) makes it SF, I
guess.

Paul Perkins
...{uscvax|ucla-vax|vortex}!ism780!paul
...decvax!yale-co!ima!ism780!paul
"If you don't see the fnord, it can't eat you.  Don't see the fnord..."