[sci.misc] max. mountain height; was Re: alternative to plate tectonics

cdaf@iuvax.UUCP (12/13/86)

In article <648@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk> ma_jpb@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Bennett) writes:
>[...]
>                                           Given we can work out the kinetic
>energy of the plate, we can calculate the height of the mountains this would
>raise if converted to potential energy with 100% efficiency.

There seems to be a limit to the height of the mountains.  If I remember
correctly from freshman physics,  Everest is close to the theoretical height
of a mountain.  This is because the intense pressure sustained by the rock
supporting the mountain has brought it to nearly melting temperatures.
Obviously this is only applicable to the rock deep inside the base region of
the mountain, upon which most of the stress falls.

I'm lead to wonder whether a molten inner base of a mountain (due to stress)
would cause the mountain to collapse, or if the molten portion could be
successfully contained by the less-strained base of the mountain?

-charles

--
All that we may see or seem     | Snail : Box 1662 Bloomington, In. 47402-1662
Is but a dream within a dream   | ATT   : (812) 339-7354

bob@uhmanoa.UUCP (Bob Cunningham) (12/16/86)

> There seems to be a limit to the height of the mountains...

The principle is correct, but the details get a little complicated...

Under pressure and high temperatures, most minerals undergo phase changes
---effectively becoming different minerals---that increase their ability to
withstand pressure and temperature.  Although obviously rare,
carbon-to-diamond is one almost everybody knows about.  Less well known are
minerals like perovskite that the various high-pressure labs around the
world have only recently been able to produce by duplicating
the extreme pressures and temperatures deep in the earth.

That Mt. Everest isn't near the theoretical limits of height for a mountain
should be obvious.  There are other mountains that---from their base to
peak---are higher (and there are mountain peaks further from the earth's
center as well).  Everest is just the mountain with the most elevation
above the earth's geoid (or, if you prefer a less precise term: above sea
level).

--
Bob Cunningham
bob@hig.hawaii.edu