[sci.misc] Looking for Wind Chill Formula or Table

johnt@hammer.TEK.COM (John Theus) (12/19/86)

I am looking for either a formula or table that will give me a wind chill
temperature from wind velocity, actual temperature, and possibly humidity.

If you have either, emailing it my way would be appreciated.

John Theus
Tektronix, Inc.
johnt@hammer.TEK.COM

dko@calmasd.CALMA.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) (12/21/86)

In article <2712@hammer.TEK.COM> johnt@hammer.TEK.COM (John Theus) writes:
>I am looking for either a formula or table that will give me a wind chill
>temperature from wind velocity, actual temperature, and possibly humidity.
>John Theus
>Tektronix, Inc.
>johnt@hammer.TEK.COM

Here's the explaination and formulas from Mark's Standard Handbook
for Mechanical Engineers (Yea!):

-------------------- cut here --------------------

Wind-Chill Index

The wind-chill index attempts to describe how much heat the body
will lose under certain conditions of wind and temperature.  It is
determined empirically by an equation which is used to describe
the rate of heat loss from a litre cylinder of water at 33C
(91.4F) as a function of ambient temperature and wind velocity.

However, it is more useful and has become common practice to use
the "equivalent wind-chill temperature."  The formulas for the
wind-chill index (WCI) are

    WCI = (10.45-V+10*sqrt(V)) * (33C -ta)	kcal/m^2/h

where V = meters per second, ta = degrees C

The more useful equivalent wind-chill temperature is expressed as

    teq = -0.144 * (WCI) + 33C
    teq = -0.88  * (WCI) + 91.4F

teq = equivalent temperature

The Mark's handbook also has the tables if you care to look at
them.
--
Dan O'Neill		uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|ucbvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!dko
(619) 587-3112		arpa: "calmasd!dko"@ucsd.arpa