[sci.misc] Hobby seimographs?

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/23/87)

This is something that has been in the back of my mind for a while.  I know
you can get good quality hobby (and professional) weather gear, but I've
never heard of seismographic material that would be reasonable for home
use.  I've always been fascinated by the geology of the area I live in
(especially when it burps at 3 in the morning and tosses me out of bed) and
I was thinking it would be neat to have a seismograph in my home.  Is this
at all feasible?  Would it be out of financial reach or simply require stuff
(like multi-hundred foot wells) that don't work for a hobbyist?

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM

It's only a model...

csc@watmath.UUCP (01/23/87)

I recall plans for a simple hobby seismograph in the Amateur Scientist
section of Scientific American.  I do not have a reference, but I believe
it was back in the days when C. L. Strong wrote the feature.  Essentially
the device consisted of a coil of wire swinging in a magnetic field, with
the output amplified and recorded.  It was interesting to note that
this resulted in a measure of velocity, not displacement (a simple
integrator circuit was described).  The device was not very large, and
it was suggested that it be installed in a basement.
                                                        William Hughes

yerazuws@rpics.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <11960@sun.uucp>, chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

> ....I've always been fascinated by the geology of the area I live in
> (especially when it burps at 3 in the morning and tosses me out of bed) and
> I was thinking it would be neat to have a seismograph in my home.  Is this
> at all feasible?  Would it be out of financial reach or simply require stuff
> (like multi-hundred foot wells) that don't work for a hobbyist?

Back in the mid-60's, Popular Science Magazine printed an article and plans
on how to build your own seismograph.  The most expensive part seemed to
be the geared-down motor to turn the paper chart.  The other parts were
plywood, steel wire, and a big coffee can full of concrete.  Also a
BIC pen.

It looked kind of like this:  (side view follows)

		|--|
		|  |<------------|   |
		|  |   rod       |---|-|Bic pen
		|  |                   |
		|  |                   O  slowly rotating drum

The whole thing is about four feet tall, and is sensitive to P-waves
running into/out of the page, and horizontal S-waves running left-right
plane of the page.  So, they recommend you build two at right angles
to get everything except vertical S-waves (which are harder to detect).

The drum is usually on a threaded rod so that you get more than one
rotation's worth of data on a sheet. Quiet traces will be written
as nice helicies and when the earth shakes, you'll be able to record
it.

Have an *accurate* clock nearby, so you can mark the start point of
any trace to within a second or two (by hand-swinging the pendulum
and writing the time).  There are amateur groups who share
seismological information- with multiple stations and accurate timing,
you can get a good fix on the actual location of the fault.
A local universities' geology department can probably get you in
touch with the proper group.

It works on the principle of inertia, so the post and drum *must* be
solidly anchored to the earth.  Bolting it to the basement floor is good.
You vary the length of the steel wire with a turnbuckle to vary the
stability of the coffee-can pendulum.  If the wire is too long, the pendulum
will droop too much at the center (straight-to-drum) position and it will
be insensitive (as well as having the pen lift from the paper on a real
shock).  If the wire is too short, the pendulum will be unstable and
will fall to one side or the other.  You have to hit it just right- and
it helps to have the BIC pen on some sort of hinged arm to let it track the
drum surface rather than digging in/lifting free.

Dig up the article for all the gruesome (but very inexpensive) details.

	-Bill Yerazunis

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <11960@sun.uucp> chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>This is something that has been in the back of my mind for a while.  I know
>you can get good quality hobby (and professional) weather gear, but I've
>never heard of seismographic material that would be reasonable for home
>use.

Sure, you should be able to put together a home station for not too much
money.  The Geophysics Dept. at UW Madison puts portable seismic station
all over the world.  They are quite expensive and highly accurate, but
you don't need all the professional features in order to get pretty nice
seismic data for home use.  What you need for a home digital seismic
recording station is:

_______                      ----------          -----------
|     |                      |        |          |         |
|     |----------------------|        |----------|         |
|     |                      |        |          |         |
_______                      ----------          -----------
Geophone      Cable          Amplifier             Computer

1) Geophone
   Geophones are widely available with lots of different price/performance
   characteristics.  They come in 2 basic types: accelerometers and velocity
   transducer.  The accelerometers are used mainly for large motion.  The
   velocity transducers are used for recording smaller motion.  For home
   use, I think velocity transducers would be more fun.  In fact, both types
   are pretty much the same, they differ only in their frequency response,
   and in the size of the force for which they operate well.

     Geophones which have good low frequency response are, in general,
   larger, heavier, and much more costly than higher frequency phones.
   (However, there is a relatively recent technique called "force-balance",
   which has a lot of promise for reducing the cost of low frequency
   phones).  Since you are in an earthquake active area, you don't need
   low frequency phones.  A 8hz phone will probably do just fine.  I don't
   remember how much these phones cost, but I think that they are considerably
   under $100.  With the slowdown in the oil exploration industry, I expect
   that the cost of geophones has gone down considerably lately.

2) The purist would have coupling transformers on both ends of the cable,
   but you probably don't need them for home use.  Use insulated twisted
   pair wire for the cable.

3) The amplifiers are the hard part.  They should have diferential input
   and lots of gain.  The best way to choose the gain for home use, is
   to choose enough gain that the cultural background noise level is one
   or two counts high on your computer's A/D converter.  How much gain this
   is depends on how much cultural noise there is, (busy streets, pumps,
   etc., are really bad), and how large the motor constant on your
   geophone is.  (The motor constant is the number of volts per velocity).
   You are in a pretty good situation if you can feel the earthquakes.
   You will be able to get by with much less exotic amplifiers than
   if you were in a less seismicly active region.

   Consider some sort of lightning protection in your amp design.
   Consider some scheme to keep the amp's dc offset low.  (I.e., < 1
   a/d convertor count).  Capacitive coupling works.  Alternatively,
   you can remove the dc offset in software on your computer.  Most
   triggering algorithms require low offset voltages to work well.

4) The computer should contain an a/d convertor and graphics.  Sample
   the signal at around 100 to 200 samples per second.  A good triggering
   algorithm is, for each sample, take the ratio of the sum of the absolute
   value of the previous 100 samples to the sum of the absolute values of
   the following 100 samples.  If the ratio exceeds 4, you have a genuine
   seismic event.  (Or a truck, or a pump, or ...etc).

Disclamer:  I hope this information helps.  I am not really an expert
   in seismic data acquisition devices.  I spent a few years making
   seismic processing software.  There are people on the net who
   know a lot more about seismic data acquisition devices than I do.
   Hopefully, they will correct the mistakes in this posting and
   offer some more suggestions.  (Lee, Ben, are you listening?)

I think that a home seismic recording station could be a lot of fun.
With the hardware outlined above, you would have a better seismic
recording station than many 3rd world governments have.  (And they
paid a lot more for theirs than you would for yours!).
--

Bruce Karsh
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics

res@sdiris1.UUCP (01/25/87)

There is no reason why it can't be done, except the cost of the needed
recording drums, and such... the sensors can be homebuilt, if you are
good at electronics, but that 24 hour drum chart recorder is not cheap,
unless you have one handy already.
  I am currently using a military surplus seismic motion detector for
quake alert (cost about 125 bucks, surplus) and you can make a wake-up
alarm with a 6 dollar radio shack car vibration alarm, a sonalert, and
a 9 volt battery which will go off at any even slightly feelable quake.
  Another home method is to use a phonograph cartridge with a mass clipped
to the place where the needle would rest, and feed it to an amp with about
a gain of 500 or so, then to a meter or chart, as you like. The mass is
only a few grams or so.

By the way, if there is a mail-list for seismic news, I would like to be
placed on it...
  I am a volunteer with the San Diego Office of Emergency Management, and
like to follow news about research into quakes and such.

Skip Sanders

tim@ism780c.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <4607@watmath.UUCP> csc@watmath.UUCP (William Hughes) writes:
> I recall plans for a simple hobby seismograph in the Amateur Scientist
> section of Scientific American.  I do not have a reference, but I believe
> it was back in the days when C. L. Strong wrote the feature.

There is a book that consists of a collection of stuff from the
Amateur Scientist section from the days when Strong wrote it.  It has
been several years since I last saw this book, but I think I remember
that it had some stuff about seismographs.  I don't remember the name
of the book, but I think it was "The Amateur Scientist", or something
like that.

--
Religion: just say "no"

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh