[sci.misc] metric system

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (08/05/87)

Summary:reposting from sci.space

In article <2560002@hpclrk.HP.COM> rajiv@hpclrk.HP.COM writes:

>One more observation.
> I seem to believe that the reason US does not switch to SI is largely
>economic. In US, most industry bluprints are based on FPS system.  The
>workers only know how to add "40 pounds of a ceratin catalyst". If today
    ...(more words)...
>not know how much a liter is but it is ok because there is not *one* place
>on the whole USA which will sell them gas by liters only.  So everybody is

    The reason that the U.S. doesn't switch to the metric system is
    because legislators are afraid of being voted out of office if
    they force their constituents to engage in any form of mental
    activity more strenuous than watching DALLAS. People in the
    U.S. handle weights and measures intuitively, but since the metric
    system is decimal in nature, they are afraid that they would be
    forced to learn to multiply and divide in their heads. What is needed
    is a common man's metric system, one which allows intuitive measurement
    without mathematics.

	     therefore ....

	     THE INTUITIVE METRIC SYSTEM
	     ---------------------------

 Volume:

 Most Americans know of only two measures of volume, the gallon(because
 milk and gasoline come that way), and the cup(because they drink from it).
 Some gifted individuals can recognize a quart, either because they know
 how much is in a can of motor oil, or because they buy their milk in small
 containers that say one quart on them.

 Well folks , think of quarts, because the main unit of volume in the metric
 system is a LITER, which for all practical purposes is a quart. If you can't
 remember quarts, try 4 liters in a galllon, or 1/4 liter in a cup.

 Distance:

 To the average American, there are several types of distances.

 Distances from one place to another-
  these are measured in miles, which are meaninglessly huge, except that
  one mile takes one minute to drive on the freeway( at 60 miles per hour).

  In the metric system we use kilometers, which are just over half a mile.
  They take about 36 seconds to drive on the freeway( at 100 kilometers
  per hour). Since the kilometer is smaller than the mile, places will now
  be farther apart, but thats OK because you will get to drive faster(won't
  it be nice to see your speedometer say 100) .

 Distances to objects in view-

  these are measured in yards, one yard is one big step, 100 yards is a
  football field.

  In the metric system, there is very little change. The medium distance
  measure will be the METER. A meter is so close to a yard that you won't
  notice the change.

 Sizes of large objects -

  these are measured in feet, and maybe sometimes yards. A foot is the size
  of common objects like a notebook, or a magazine. Most people use feet
  primarily to measure their own height (or feet and inches).

  In the metric system , there are no feet, we have to use meters again. They
  are not so hard to get used to, though. President Reagen is two meters tall.
  The front door on your house is probably just about a meter wide.

 Sizes of small objects -

  these are measured in inches. Some larger objects that we wish were smaller
  are measured in inches too (like our waistlines). An inch is the distance
  between our fingers when we hold them one inch apart.

  In the metric system, we use centimeters. A centimeter is just under half
  an inch, or about the thickness of a regular pencil. This has some advantages
  and disadvantages. One advantage is that you are over twice as tall as
  you were in inches(6 ft. = 72 inches = 180 cm) , but you are also over
  twice as fat (34 inch waist = 84 cm waist). Oh, well, you can't win em all.

Weight:

  Most Americans have almost no intuitive feel for weight. Pick up the
  the coffee cup on your desk and hand it to someone. Ask them how much
  it weighs and you will get guesses ranging from 1 ounce to 10 pounds.
  The only weight which has any meaning to an American is their body
  weight. If you are a man , this is about 200 pounds, but since you haven't
  bothered to weigh yourself in 20 years , you still think its about 150.
  If you are a woman, you weigh yourself daily, and know that you weigh
  about 125 pounds, but you only admit to 110 of them.

  In the metric system, there is good news. We switch to kilograms, which
  are equal to over 2 pounds(2.2 actually). This means you will soon weigh
  less than half what you do now, without dieting. A man will come in at
  about 90 kg, and a woman at about 55 (admit to 50).

  One other miscelllaneous weight which a few Americans are concerned with
  is the ounce. This is hard to deal with because it is both a measure of
  volume and of weight ( amazingly enough, almost no one realizes that one
  ounce(liquid) of water weighs exactly one ounce(weight) by definition).
  The ounce is mentioned here because it the amount that a letter which takes
  one 22 cent stamp weighs. In the metric system we switch to grams. A gram
  is about the weight of a stick of Trident chewing gum. You can put about
  twenty eight of them in the mail for one 22 cent stamp.

Temperature (thanks to Amos Shapir):

   To most Americans temperature is an entirely subjective measurement,
   the most important unit of which is too( as in 'its too hot' or
   'its too cold'). The official scale is degrees farenheit, where
   32 degrees F is the freezing point of water and 212 is the boiling
   point (as if anyone cared). Farenheit is based on an historical
   accident and is calibrated from the accidental top and bottom of
   a thermometer made by some guy hundreds of years ago. This thermometer
   has since been copied by every dime store in the universe and is sold
   for about 5 cents, making Farenheit easily accessible to everyone.

   In the metric system, we use degrees centigrade. The centigrade scale
   was deliberately based on an easily obtained scale, the freezing point
   (0 degrees) and boiling point (100 degrees) of water. Since these things
   vary with both altitude and the purity of the water, they are almost
   impossible to get right without precise scietific lab equipment and thus
   have been embraced by the scientific community.

   In order to make centigrade useful to the common folks, a conversion
   chart is included that converts from Farenheit to Centigrade to the Too
   scale.

       Farenheit       Centigrade      Too
       ---------        ---------      ----
       212              100             Too hot to drink

       100              38              Too hot to go outside,
					stay in where its air conditioned
       72               23              Perfect

       50               10              Too chilly to go out without
					a sweater
       32                0              To cold to go out without
					a coat
       0 (and below)     -18            Too damn cold for almost anything

NOW YOU KNOW THE INTUITIVE METRIC SYSTEM

  Now when somebody tells you that a spaceship has 6 million kilograms of
  thrust you can file that fact in the special place in your brain ( just
  like UNIX /dev/null ) which is reserved for incomprehensibly large
  figures like the distance to the sun, and the weight of the moon.

  The nice thing about international standardization is that we may not
  understand the world around us any better, but at least we can all
  miscomprehend it in the same units.

  the opinions above were my own when I thought of them, by tomorrow
  they may belong to someone else.   ihnp4!wlbr!etn-rad!jru

bage@utah-cs.UUCP (Goran Bage) (08/06/87)

In article <238@etn-rad.UUCP> jru@etn-rad.UUCP (0000-John Unekis) writes:

>   In the metric system, we use degrees centigrade. The centigrade scale

I think the metric temperature degrees are named Celsius, not centigrades,
in recognition of Anders Celsius who invented the 100 degree, freezing
to boiling point scale.
   --Goran Bage
     bage@cs.utah.edu

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (08/06/87)

For the record, 0 degrees F is the temperature at which saturated brine
freezes.
--
D Gary Grady
(919) 286-4296

jal@oliveb.UUCP (Tony Landells) (08/07/87)

In article <4808@utah-cs.UUCP>, bage@utah-cs.UUCP (Goran Bage) writes:
> In article <238@etn-rad.UUCP> jru@etn-rad.UUCP (0000-John Unekis) writes:
> >   In the metric system, we use degrees centigrade. The centigrade scale
> I think the metric temperature degrees are named Celsius, not centigrades,

It depends where you are - in Australia they use Celsius, in Italy it's
centigrade, but I'm not sure of the exact extent of use of either name.
They both represent exactly the same scale, and they both use a C to indicate
use of that scale, so it doesn't really matter much :-)
--
I don't have a .signature, but then I never did get the hangboas ldoef (*	*/

kimcm@ambush.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) (08/07/87)

In article <4808@utah-cs.UUCP> bage@utah-cs.UUCP (Goran Bage) writes:
:In article <238@etn-rad.UUCP> jru@etn-rad.UUCP (0000-John Unekis) writes:
::   In the metric system, we use degrees centigrade. The centigrade scale

:I think the metric temperature degrees are named Celsius, not centigrades,
:in recognition of Anders Celsius who invented the 100 degree, freezing
:to boiling point scale.

Both right and wrong - The system is called the Celcius as opposed to
Fahrenheit or Reamur.

The correct definitions are:

centigrade a.	Having a hundred degrees; esp. = CELSIUS [F,f.L centum
		(hundred) + gradus (step)]

celsius a.	Pertaining to the ~ scale of temperature, on which
		water freezes at 0 degree and boils at 100 degree
		under normal conditions (1 Atm. pressure).

Right to say:	"The Metric system uses the centigrade system
		for measuring temperatures."
Right to say:	"X boils at 125 degrees centigrade"
Right to say:	"Gee, it's hot today - at least 25 degrees."

						Kim Chr. Madsen.

In article <3657@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>For the record, 0 degrees F is the temperature at which saturated brine
>freezes.

0 degrees C - Water freezes (at 1. Atm. pressure)
0 degrees K - Everything Freezes (Absolute Zero)

As said Just for the record

						Kim Chr. Madsen.

hammond@faline.bellcore.com (Rich A. Hammond) (08/07/87)

In article <2560002@hpclrk.HP.COM> rajiv@hpclrk.HP.COM writes:
>not know how much a liter is but it is ok because there is not *one* place
>on the whole USA which will sell them gas by liters only.  So everybody is

NOT TRUE - Here on the East Coast (Philadelphia and New Jersey, at least)
Atlantic Richfield (ARCO) switched to liters when the gas prices zoomed up.

All the other companies put in new pumps with F5.1 format (3digits.1digit)
for cents per gallon.  ARCO simply changed to cents per liter, and changed
the gears inside the pump.  This allows up to 99.9 cents/liter or roughly
$3.78 a gallon while still using the old F4.1 format.

HOWEVER, they continued to advertise their price in $/gallon.
I checked once when I bought gas, their conversion was off
(in their favor) by a couple cents a gallon, so that although they
appeared to be less expensive than the other stations, they cost the same.

It's a pity that the other oil companies didn't make the same switch.

Rich Hammond  hammond@bellcore.com or  ...!bellcore!hammond

ddyment@water.UUCP (08/07/87)

Another useful technique for metric users...  Just as the freeway driver
using English units can trivially convert from distance to driving time
(500 miles = 500 minutes (= 8 hours, 20 minutes)), so can the metric driver
(833 km. = 8.33 hours (= 8 hours, 20 minutes)).  Just move the decimal point
two places to the left to change kilometers to typical freeway driving hours.
--
Doug Dyment, Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
    UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,watmath,..}!water!ddyment

devine@vianet.UUCP (Bob Devine) (08/08/87)

In article <3657@ecsvax.UUCP>, dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
> For the record, 0 degrees F is the temperature at which saturated brine
> freezes.

  It's not that exact.  "Water" can now be made to not freeze until
well below zero (I appreciate that in winter).

  Apparently Fahrenheit came up with his scale of temperature
based on what *he* could achieve and measure.  To show the amount
of error consider that he tried to have 100 be normal human body
temperature.  98.6 anyone?

Bob Devine

I lived in Canadia between '76 and '79 when it was all metric. You'd
be surprised how easy it is to adapt to the metric system. It really is
nice.

BUT! Kilopascals ? Gimme a break. 32 psi I can handle, but 450 Kilopascals or
.450 or whatever. Uh-uh.

P.S. You HAVE noticed that ALL liquor bottles are metric now havnt you ?
Even the U.S.A is not a big enough special case to exempt.

P.P.S. Besides that, I have seen MPH/KPH signs around So Cal.

P.P.P.S Of course if you read this group you probably already work in metric...

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) (08/09/87)

In article <3657@ecsvax.UUCP>, dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
> For the record, 0 degrees F is the temperature at which saturated brine
> freezes.

And another question of trivia: where 100 degrees originate?

Actually, I'll forestall the mail, and give the answer now.

While 0 degrees F was obtained by measuring the melting temperature of
a saturated salt solution, Gabriel Fahrenheit obtained 100 Fahrenheit
by measuring his body temperature.  He was the inventor of the thermometer,
and the first to calibrate one.

	History, as far as I know, does not indicate why Fahrenheit's
temperature was 1.4F higher than average.  It could have been genetic, or
he may have suffered from a chronic infection such as tuberculosis resulting
in a constant low grade fever. And that is why we all (or most of us
anyway), have a temperature of 98.6 instead of 100.

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 3 years down, 4 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

In article <1154@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> I lived in Canadia between '76 and '79 when it was all metric. You'd
> be surprised how easy it is to adapt to the metric system. It really is
> nice.
>
> BUT! Kilopascals ? Gimme a break. 32 psi I can handle, but 450 Kilopascals or
> .450 or whatever. Uh-uh.

	I too was surprised how the Pascal, kPA and MPa has replaced the
traditional metric units for pressure - such as dyne/cm2 and kg/cm2 - that
I learned in college and worked with for a number of years.
	However, it appears that the Pascal and related units are here to
stay.  As an interesting example, my organization developed some computer
controlled test instrumentation for a division of General Motors several
years ago, and GM had developed a number of standards and specifications
to which all vendors had to comply; these included the following:

1.	All calculations, algorithms and internal tables are to be done in
	metric.  Period.

2.	Operator-entered input must be English or metric, based upon
	selection of operator.

3.	Output must be available both as English and metric, with the
	selection to be by operator.

4.	The kPa was the official GM metric unit for pressure, and no one
	wanted to hear about kg/cm2 or dyne/cm2.

	According to the above GM guidelines, data entered in English was
converted to metric units, calculated, reconverted to English, and then
displayed.
	While I have a "feeling" for kg/cm2, I have grown used to kPA.  As
an example, it is easy to remember than normal atmospheric pressure is
slightly less than 100 kPa.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231       {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

gadfly@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Gadfly) (08/10/87)

--
> > For the record, 0 degrees F is the temperature at which saturated brine
> > freezes.
>
> ..Apparently Fahrenheit came up with his scale of temperature
> based on what *he* could achieve and measure...
>
> Bob Devine

I thought Fahrenheit based his scale on what he measured (presumably over
some years) to be the coldest (0) and hottest (100) ambient temperatures
to occur wherever it was in Germany he came from.  It is thus a better scale
for generic weather description than Celsius.

                      *** ***
J'EN AI RAS-LE-BOL  ***** *****
                   ****** ******  10 Aug 87 [23 Thermidor An CXCV]
ken perlow         *****   *****
(312)979-8042       ** ** ** **
ihnp4!ihlpa!gadfly    *** ***

lambert@cwi.nl (Lambert Meertens) (08/11/87)

Fahrenheit was feverishly trying to calibrate his thermometer.

--

Lambert Meertens, CWI, Amsterdam; lambert@cwi.nl

onno@dutesta.UUCP (Onno M. Kuijken) (08/11/87)

In article <452@ambush.UUCP> kimcm@ambush.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) writes

> In article <3657@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
> >For the record, 0 degrees F is the temperature at which saturated brine
> >freezes.

> 0 degrees C - Water freezes (at 1. Atm. pressure)
> 0 degrees K - Everything Freezes (Absolute Zero)
    ^^^^^^^

Shouldn't that just have to be 0 K ?

Besides, has anyone ever realised the km/h is no proper SI-unit and that
speed should be measured in m/s ? (Although this means that a speedometer
at the US speed limit reads only 25 instead of 55 (mph) or even 90 (km/h))

> As said Just for the record

oconnor@sunray.steinmetz (Dennis Oconnor) (08/11/87)

I read somewhere ( uh oh, another memory ... without a reference ! )

That Dr. Fahrenheit was a Veternarian, and selected as 100 degrees
the temperature of a healthy cow! [ No 8-) ] 0 degrees he selected
as being the "coldest it ever got" where he lived ( Europe, somewhere).

--
	Dennis O'Connor 	oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz.UUCP ??
				ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa

court@garfield.UUCP (08/11/87)

In article <452@ambush.UUCP> kimcm@ambush.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) writes:
>0 degrees C - Water freezes (at 1. Atm. pressure)
>0 degrees K - Everything Freezes (Absolute Zero)

For the record,
liquid helium remains liquid at 0 K, unless at least 2.5 MPa of
pressure is applied;  or, strictly speaking, since
0 K is not attainable, the solid-liquid phase equilibrium line for
He-4 is almost flat, and with P approx. equal to 2.5 MPa, from
approx. 1 K down to the lowest temperatures measured.  For He-3,
the slope of the phase equilibrium line is actually negative below
0.2 K.

					John Lewis

cpf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Courtenay Footman) (08/12/87)

In article <452@ambush.UUCP> kimcm@ambush.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) writes:
>In article <3657@ecsvax.UUCP> dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
>>For the record, 0 degrees F is the temperature at which saturated brine
>>freezes.

>0 degrees C - Water freezes (at 1. Atm. pressure)
>0 degrees K - Everything Freezes (Absolute Zero)

At 0K, and ordinary pressures, helium is a liquid, and spin polarized
hydrogen is a gas.  I will not even start to discuss what state a
degenerate system of electrons is in at 0 K.

The mad pedant:
Courtenay Footman		ARPA:	cpf@lnssun9.tn.cornell.edu
Lab. of Nuclear Studies		Usenet:	Not currently available.
Cornell University		Bitnet: cpf@CRNLNUC.BITNET

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (08/12/87)

In article <452@ambush.UUCP> kimcm@ambush.UUCP (Kim Chr. Madsen) writes:
>0 degrees K - Everything Freezes (Absolute Zero)

A common error in terminlogy.  "0 degrees K" is incorrect.  "0 K" or
"0 kelvin" is correct.  Also occasionally acceptable is "0 degrees
absolute".

While the Celsius and Farenheit scales use arbitrarily-chosen zero
points, the kelvin *does* have a natural zero because it is measuring
something proportional to kinetic energy.  Hence adding "degrees" is
superfluous--we are measuring not just differences, but something
absolute.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (08/14/87)

In article <4958@ihlpa.ATT.COM> gadfly@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Gadfly) writes:
>I thought Fahrenheit based his scale on what he measured (presumably over
>some years) to be the coldest (0) and hottest (100) ambient temperatures
>to occur wherever it was in Germany he came from.  It is thus a better scale
>for generic weather description than Celsius.

My high school text books had the same story, but Robert Fahrenheit was
English.  Anybody know the real story?
--
(C) Copyright 1987 Laura Creighton - you may redistribute only if your
    recipients may.

Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura

de@moscom.UUCP (08/14/87)

In article <1154@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>I lived in Canadia between '76 and '79 when it was all metric. You'd
>be surprised how easy it is to adapt to the metric system. It really is
>nice.
>
>BUT! Kilopascals ? Gimme a break. 32 psi I can handle, but 450 Kilopascals or
>.450 or whatever. Uh-uh.

On a recent trip to Israel I wanted to put some air in the tires of our rented
car.  I turned to my sister, who had lived there for eight years, and asked her
what the units of pressure were, and how many did one put into a tire.  She
smiled and said that she put in 28 pounds.  When I looked at the airpump I
discovered that it was an old American one.  Seems that it is cheaper to buy
old psi pumps than to buy new kilopascal pumps.
--
               rochester \
David Esan                | moscom ! de

lambert@mcvax.UUCP (08/15/87)

) My high school text books had the same story, but Robert Fahrenheit was
) English.  Anybody know the real story?

Who is Robert Fahrenheit?  The great-grandnephew of Daniel Gabriel
Fahrenheit and the inventor of the potrzebie temperature scale?

D.G. Fahrenheit was born in Danzig in 1686, moved to Amsterdam in 1717,
where he invented the mercury thermometer (until then he had used an
alcohol thermometer, invented by del Cimiento in 1660) and died in The
Hague in 1736 according to one source I have, in Danzig according to
another source, whereas all other sources currently available to me leave
the place of demise open.  (They all agree he died:-)

The zero point in his original system was *both* the temperature attained
by a mixture of snow and sal ammoniac (ammonium chloride) *and* the lowest
temperature observed in Danzig in the winter of 1709.  He was intelligent
enough to realize that the latter was not a conveniently usable
calibration point.  In his first revision of the system, published in 1717,
Fahrenheit (D.G.) defined the upper calibration point of bodily temperature
as 96 degrees.  In a second revision, published in 1724, he made the
significant step of using the freezing and boiling temperatures of water as
calibration points (32 and 212 degrees).

) (C) Copyright 1987 Laura Creighton - you may redistribute only if your
)     recipients may.

Oh gosh, I really don't know how to check what the thousands (?) of
recipients of this article may or may not.

--

Lambert Meertens, CWI, Amsterdam; lambert@cwi.nl

dcpik@ednor.UUCP (David Pikcilingis) (08/16/87)

>My high school text books had the same story, but Robert Fahrenheit was
>English.  Anybody know the real story?
>--

  Robert Fahrenheit may well have been English but Gabriel Daniel Fahrenheit
  (1686-1736) was German.  He did work in both Holland and England where
  he developed and manufactured meteorological instruments.  The temp-
  erature scale with his name was published in 1724.

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (08/21/87)

This article was very funny but a bigger reason for not changing
is that all your screws, nuts, bolts, and tools change. Likewise
for the common 2X4 stud or a 4X8 piece of plywood. Ugh!
--
I speak for myself, not the company.

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (08/24/87)

In article <17983@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:

> This article was very funny but a bigger reason for not changing
> is that all your screws, nuts, bolts, and tools change. Likewise
> for the common 2X4 stud or a 4X8 piece of plywood. Ugh!

	So what - they are already a mess.  A 2x4 is 1.5x3.5 while a
4x8 piece of plywood is indeed 4'x8'.

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, Data Management Group, San Diego