[sci.misc] Antarctica Breaking up ??

carlos@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Carlos Carrion) (11/07/87)

Read in the paper this morning of an iceberg TWICE the size of
Rhode Island breaking off from Antarctica.  It broke off from the
Ross Ice field, near the Bay of Whales where Byrd set up his
Little America camp.  It's so big that the Bay has been eliminated
as a geological feature!!

There have been studies in the past regarding icebergs being brought to
LA offshore to supply water demands....

Well, here is out opportunity.  Let me see....Hmmm...if we give every
person in the LA area an icepick, and a small boat......... :-)

But seriously folks...I know the Earth's atmosphere is getting warmer.
Would this have anything to do with it or is the iceberg break off
just an extraordinary event??

Carlos Carrion, MS 301-250D, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena CA 91109
.. cit-vax!elroy!jpl-devvax!jplpro!carlos

clewis@lsuc.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/12/87)

In article <677@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> carlos@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Carlos Carrion) writes:
>Read in the paper this morning of an iceberg TWICE the size of
>Rhode Island breaking off from Antarctica. ...
>But seriously folks...I know the Earth's atmosphere is getting warmer.
>Would this have anything to do with it or is the iceberg break off
>just an extraordinary event??
It might have something to do with it, but not specifically.  The
Antarctic's known for spawning enormous icebergs.  I seem to remember
reports of icebergs up to a hundred miles long getting spawned every
once in a while (several years).  Unlike most of the glacier calving
in the north, where icebergs are often pieces that fall off land-born
glaciers, Antarctic icebergs are often simply large areas of frozen ocean
that snap off and drift away.
Arctic icebergs get jostled around a lot (there's lots of islands and
currents up there) and break up more quickly too.

rab@mimsy.UUCP (11/13/87)

In article <677@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> carlos@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Carlos Carrion) writes:
>Read in the paper this morning of an iceberg TWICE the size of
>Rhode Island breaking off from Antarctica.
>But seriously folks...I know the Earth's atmosphere is getting warmer.
>Would this have anything to do with it or is the iceberg break off
>just an extraordinary event??

Actually this isn't extraordinary at all.  If fact this one isn't
even especially large.  A few years ago I read about an iceberg
larger than Belgium that had broken off the Ross ice shelf.

Icebergs in Antarctica tend to be much larger than Arctic icebergs.
In the north glaciers tend to `calf' small, irregular icebergs
right where the land meets the sea.  In the Antarctic the ice
doesn't breakup until it is well out to sea, when a large
piece of the ice shelf breaks loose.

disclaimer: This is just from what I have read, I have never
actually been to Antarctica.