[sci.misc] Recycling Pershing-II's

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (12/08/87)

In article <8712071321.aa27796@note.nsf.gov> fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:
>Today's Washington Post [Monday] discusses INF missile disposal.
>
>"One of the INF treaty's most unorthodox provisions will
>unfold at [Kapustin Yar], 660 miles SE of Moscos, within
>a few days after the pact takes effect, when the Soviets
>begin launching unarmed SS12 and SS20 missiles eastward
>virtually around-the-clock just to get rid of them.
>"Similar launches of .. Pershing II missiles .. over the
>Atlantic are contemplated if studies show this is the
>cheapest, safest way to destroy the $6M rockets within
>the treaty's three-year deadline.
It is sad to see the waste of perfect usable (with warhead removed :-)   )
high altitude launch vehicles.  A number of Nike-Zeus, Hercules, etc. missiles
of the fifties and sixties were sold or donated to research organizations for
high altitude research studies.  It is too bad the same could not be done with
these.  Such missiles would be ideal to study ozone depletion, for example, if
fitted with the proper instrumentation for a payload.  Perhaps a number of such
missiles could be donated to the international research community as an
alternate (and beneficial) means of destruction.

I am sure that both sides do not want to give out secrets of their guidance
systems, however.  I feel that this is a minor problem that could be resolved
easily with a little diplomacy.  If you agree, call your representatives in
Washington.  Why waste many millions in a big fireworks display when you can
find a good peaceful use?
                                          Barry
| |  / /        | |  Dr. Barry L. Ornitz   UUCP:...!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |  Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |  Eastman Chemicals Division Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |  P. O. Box 1972
| |__\ \________| |  Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904