[sci.misc] best design

robert@uop.edu (Hi how ya doin) (12/17/87)

After last night's high winds, it got me to thinking (while laying awake
thinking the house was about to cave in), what would be the best high
wind/rain (oh shit!!) kind of a tent?

I sell tents at work, so I am somewhat familiar with the geodesics, and
the claims of high wind resistance, etc.

Is there any of you "out there" who have experienced a serious storm in
a tent, and if so what kind was it? Or should I say, what shape?

Also is there any relevance to using glass poles as opposed to aluminum
for reduced lightning attraction?

*Someone* must have some type of meager statistics on this.

thanks in advance!
------
       ...mcvax!uunet!mit-eddie!garp!ames!ucbvax!ucdavis!\
...eunetv!unido!/             ...princeton!rutgers!retix!--uop!robert
                                     ...sun!ptsfa!cogent!/

hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (HUGH) (12/18/87)

In article <848@uop.edu> robert@uop.edu (Hi how ya doin) writes:
}After last night's high winds, it got me to thinking (while laying awake
}thinking the house was about to cave in), what would be the best high
}wind/rain (oh shit!!) kind of a tent?
}                                     ...sun!ptsfa!cogent!/
I own a tent called "Force 10", made by a Scottish company called Vango. It's
supposed to stand up to a force 10 hurricane. It's a basic A-frame tent which
gets its wind resistance by being anchored to the ground with about 27 zillion
pegs. It takes at least half an hour to put up.

Several years ago I was camping in north Wales with a mountaineering club when
a very severe storm blew up. I don't remember what it registered on the
Beaufort scale (i.e. the force number) but I heard there were gusts well over
100 mph. Those of us with force-10's were okay (though some rain got into
mine) but the others had to abandon their tents and spend the night in a
nearby youth hostel. When they came back in the morning they found their tents
uprooted, flysheets blown away, etc. I remember that the tent which suffered
the worst damage was one supposedly shaped for low wind resistance.

Hugh Dunne         |     ...{cmcl2,ihnp4,seismo!noao}!arizona!amethyst!hdunne
Dept. of Math.     |    Phone:             |         {amethyst.ma.arizona.edu}
Univ. of Arizona   |    +1 602 621 4766    |  hdunne@{    arizrvax.bitnet    }
Tucson AZ  85721   |    +1 602 621 6893    |         { rvax.ccit.arizona.edu }

garnett@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett) (12/18/87)

In article <848@uop.edu> robert@uop.edu (Hi how ya doin) writes:
>Also is there any relevance to using glass poles as opposed to aluminum
>for reduced lightning attraction?
>*Someone* must have some type of meager statistics on this.

Meager, Yes, here's one: I don't know about the statistics, but recently, at
Darian Lakes Park (between Rochester and Buffalo) there was an incident where
a tent was checked because it's permit had expired and (weak stomachs q here)
the occupants were found dead inside, the victims of a lightning strike
2 days before. There wasn't much left of their *metal* pole.

	Roger Garnett  		(garnett@batcomputer)
	Cornell Phonetics Lab   (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
	Ithaca N.Y.		(bitnet: sggy@cornellC)

okbye