[sci.misc] What processes create ozone?

lampman@heurikon.UUCP (Ray Lampman) (12/31/87)

Are there any chemical or electrical processes that produce ozone?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

                                        - Ray (lampman@heurikon.UUCP)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (01/04/88)

In article <159@heurikon.UUCP> lampman@heurikon.UUCP (Ray Lampman) writes:
> Are there any chemical or electrical processes that produce ozone?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

	Ionizing radiation and/or strong electric fields will produce ozone
(O3) from atmospheric molecular oxygen (O2).  Our Apple LaserWriters
(which, like most photocopy machines, use a strong electric field to
transfer the tonor in the "corona assembly") for example, often produce
ozone, as evidenced by the characteristic sharp, acrid (but, to my nose,
mildly pleasant) odor.  Strong UV lights will do the same.  So will
electric arcs, such as from welding.  I have heard (but don't really know
if it's true) that the pressures under the wheels of locomotives can
produce ozone as well.  I do know, from experience, that they do a fair job
of flattening pennies. :-)
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

lotto@wjh12.harvard.edu (Jerry Lotto) (01/04/88)

Ozone is used in synthetic organic chemistry for a number of useful
transformations. To generate ozone either in bulk or in situ, there
are a number of available methods.  Commercial ozonators are available
that produce up to 4% ozone in air or 8% ozone in oxygen. Welsbach
Corp. manufactures one of these beasts and puts out a 90+ page
bulletin which describes reactions and techniques in much detail with
refs. Org. Syn. II, 673 has a lab scale ozone prep. For more detail on
ozonolysis in general and ozone generation, try Augustine and Trecker,
"Oxidation", Marcel Dekker, Inc., NY, 1969, 1971, vol. 1, 259-335.
--
Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.
UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lotto

> > Are there any chemical or electrical processes that produce ozone?
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> 	Ionizing radiation and/or strong electric fields will produce ozone
> (O3) from atmospheric molecular oxygen (O2).  Our Apple LaserWriters

	Additional methods which produce ozone are:

1.	Action of ultraviolet radiation (~ 209 nm) upon atmospheric oxygen.

2.	Placing a heated platinum wire in contact with liquid oxygen. [Not
	recommended as a home science experiment. :-) ]

3.	Reaction of fluorine with water.  [Also not recommended as a home
	science experiment. :-) ]

4.	Heating of periodic acid.

5.	Reaction of ammonium peroxydisulfate with nitric acid; also gives
	off lots of NOx, but ozone is quite evident.  I tried this once
	upon a time when I was a dangerously inquisitive grad student;
	it works. :-)

6.	Electrolysis of dilute sulfuric acid.

7.	Electrolysis of dilute perchloric acid containing perchlorate
	compounds.

	I don't claim the above methods are efficient, but they do represent
some interesting alternatives to the common corona discharge as a method of
ozone production.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (01/05/88)

In article <159@heurikon.UUCP>, lampman@heurikon.UUCP (Ray Lampman) writes:
> Are there any chemical or electrical processes that produce ozone?
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
>                                         - Ray (lampman@heurikon.UUCP)

Yes - the old 600V DC trolley cars and elevated trains from Chicago (and San
Francisco as well).  Their motors were equipped with brushes, and when they
operated (arced) they created a tremendous wiff of ozone.  They were sold to
a south american country (Brazil?) and are apparently still producing ozone
:-)
--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121

sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth A. Gordon) (01/05/88)

In article <2337@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>> > Are there any chemical or electrical processes that produce ozone?
>4.	Heating of periodic acid.

Pardon my ignorance of chemistry, but what's periodic acid?

Is it derived from periodic tables?  What about tables printed on
acid-free paper?  Does it have something to do with menstruation?  With
typography?  Which period gives the best results?  "Ah, Fisher
Scientific 1972... an excellent year."

But seriously, folks, what's the formula for this periodic acid?

><>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
><>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
><>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
><>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

---
Seth Gordon, 52 Massachusetts Avenue #102, Cambridge, MA 02139-4324, US of A.
a.k.a. sethg@athena.mit.edu [Internet]     |--617/225-9612 (h) 253-1541 (~w)--
a.k.a. sethg%athena.mit.edu@mit-eddie.uucp |Let's hear it for the vague blur!
a.k.a. sethg%athena.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet  |(Philip K. Dick, A_Scanner_Darkly)

In article <2139@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth A. Gordon) writes:
> >4.	Heating of periodic acid.
>
> Pardon my ignorance of chemistry, but what's periodic acid?

	Oh, my!  It never occured to me that I would be accused of making a
pun.
	All kidding azide, periodic acid is a real chemical.  Its formula is
HIO4 (there is also some water of crystallization, but I don't remember how
much).  Periodic acid is a white crystalline substance which can be prepared
from elemental iodine and perchloric acid [not recommended for home science
experiments :-) ].
	Periodic acid is a potent oxidizing agent which will cause spontaneous
combustion upon contact with many organic materials.

> Is it derived from periodic tables?

	You must be thinking of mendelevium (Md). :-)

> Does it have something to do with menstruation?

	No.  But you have reminded me of a 1/2-amusing experience I had
some years back.  I wrote a report concerning a quality control measurement
system, and used the word "mensuration" - which is defined as the science
of measurement, especially when applied to angular measurement.  The secretary
who typed the final report had no technical knoweldge, and took it upon
herself to change each occurence of "mensuration" to "menstruation".  This
was really an innocent mistake on her part.  Needless to say, the distributed
report raised a few eyebrows and produced many guffaws.  I was sufficiently
embarrased, however, that I have never used the word "mensuration" since -
for fear of having it turned into "menstruation".