[sci.misc] Daylight precision bombing in WW II

jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Jerome Freedman) (12/10/87)

 I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to discuss this but
if I err I apologize.

 I just saw the move "12 O'Clock High" on TV and I began to wonder
Just how effective was the daylight precision bombing of Germany
in WWII. Was it worth it?

                                                 Jerry Freedman,Jr
                                                 jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa

Jerry Freedman, Jr      "Thank you, folks,
jfjr@mitre-bedford.arpa   for those kind applause"
(617)271-4563

mcgrew@topaz.rutgers.edu (Charles) (12/13/87)

Cc: mcgrew

>Just how effective was the daylight precision bombing of Germany
>in WWII. Was it worth it?

   Tricky question.  The easy answer is no, since the original
intentions of the bombing (to completely cripple the German production
and transport systems) were not acheived.  A more thorough answer is
maybe.

   8th and 15th AF attacks on the German aircraft and other production
industries were not particularly successful, but attacks on its oil
industry were quite effective in limiting the mobility of the
Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe, particularly from 1944 on.  (The strategic
bombing survey (undertaken by the US after the war) showed that attacks
on the aircraft industry were ineffective, but oil was a prime and
useful target.  An interesting statistic is that 83% of all bomb
tonnage dropped on Germany were dropped in 1944 and 1945.)  Also, a
significant amount of German production was spent on home (i.e. air)
defence that could have gone to the front without the allied air
offensive.  The Luftwaffe, having to split its strength between
tactical roles at the front and strategic air defence, wasn't able to
do either effectively.

   On the other hand, heavy bombers and fighter escorts are very
expensive to make, and required the most intelligent personel of the
US and British armed forces to fly and maintain them, people who might
have been of more use in tactical air and ground roles.

   In directly winning the European war, the tactical air forces on
the Western allies were of equal, if not more value.  They limited the
tactical mobility of the Germans during the early weeks of the
Normandy invasion and allowed the Allies to build up overwhelming
strength.  Throughout the campaign in France and Germany, no German
plan could afford not take allied fighter-bombers into account.

   The problem is there are a lot of if's involved.  If the daylight
strategic offensive against Germany hadn't been undertaken (the
British night bombing had negligible effect on the German war effort,
since a 'good strike' was when the bombs fell within 5 miles of their
target), the Germans would have had more of everything to hand.  The
war in France might have turned out differently, so might the war in
Russia.  Certainly the Germans would have eventually lost (if only by
losing the a-bomb sweepstakes to the Japanese).

  Hope this helps,

Charles

tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (12/14/87)

->>Just how effective was the daylight precision bombing of Germany
->>in WWII. Was it worth it?

A good reference to the air war over Germany is "The First and
The Last" by Adolf Galland (commander of German fighter forces),
published by Bantam Books (first published in 1954).

Generally the sources I have read tend towards the view that more
resources should have been devoted to tactical air support of
ground units, and less to strategic bombing.

->...  but attacks on its oil industry were quite effective ...

Yes, fuel seemed to be the vital point where strategic bombing had
its greatest effect.

-> ... (The strategic bombing survey (undertaken by the US after the
->war) showed that attacks on the aircraft industry were ineffective,
->but oil was a prime and useful target ...

->   On the other hand, heavy bombers and fighter escorts are very
->expensive to make, and required the most intelligent personel of the
->US and British armed forces to fly and maintain them, people who might
->have been of more use in tactical air and ground roles.

Yes ...

->   In directly winning the European war, the tactical air forces on
->the Western allies were of equal, if not more value.  They limited the
->tactical mobility of the Germans during the early weeks of the
->Normandy invasion and allowed the Allies to build up overwhelming
->strength.  Throughout the campaign in France and Germany, no German
->plan could afford not take allied fighter-bombers into account.

Yes ...

->Certainly the Germans would have eventually lost (if only by
->losing the a-bomb sweepstakes to the Japanese).

I wonder what would have happened if the Luftwaffe would have
had its jet fighters operational a year earlier (or even sooner,
as would have been possible had Hitler not been such an idiot).

Anyway, here are some quotes from Galland's book:

page 226: "The raids of the Allied air fleets on the German petrol
supply installations was the most important of the combined factors
which brought about the collapse of Germany. The enemy was surprised
at the results. With only 5166 tons of bombs they had scored a
bull's-eye against Germany's material strength of resistance. Seven
times this weight had been dropped on V-weapon firing platforms
and 14 times that weight on railway installations. Only after the
start of the invasion did the Allies realize the true strategical
importance of the German synthetic oil plants. They were now given
top priority on the list of targets."

page 232: [on the Normandy invasion] "Under the protection of the
consolidated Allied air forces, 25 landing divisions were built
up by June 15: 427,000 men, 62,238 vehicles, and 105,175 tons
of material were already on the mainland. The German counterattacks,
particularly fierce around Caen, collapsed under the hail of bombs
from the Allies ... "

" ... Because of the enemy's air supremacy the army got into similar
difficulties during its move, as did the Luftwaffe. It took a whole
week to transfer a combat unit of the 265th Infantry Division from
Quimper in Brittany to the front in Normandy. The 2nd SS Armored
Divison left its station at Limoges on June 11 with marching orders
for the front. It reached the Loire between June 14 and 16. Only
parts of it reached Le Mans with great difficulties because of
destroyed railway bridges. From here progress was possible only
on foot. Its first units only went into action at the end of
the month, much weakened by low-level attacks ... The 9th and 10th
Armored Divisions received their marching orders to the west on
the day the invasion started. After a few days they arrived at
Metz. Because of the hopeless transport conditions only the
armored units were transported to Paris ... the last 200 miles
to the front were almost impossible by rail--the only way of
transporting heavy armor. In moves up and down the country,
lasting for weeks, 1400 miles instead of 300 were covered.
These urgently needed armored units were only able to go into
action at the end of July."

"The English and American tactical air forces successfully
extended their attempts to interrupt the bringing up of
German reserves deep into France. They had made any move
by daylight almost impossible. In June alone they destroyed
551 locomotives. A report by the commander of the 2nd Panzer
Division says: 'The Allies have total air supremacy. They bomb
and shoot anything that moves, even single vehicles and persons.
Our territory is under constant observation ... The feeling of
being powerless against the enemy's aircraft ... has a paralyzing
effect ... '"

" ... on the invasion front the Allied strategic bombers were
only sent into action at particularly important points. Thus
on July 18, 1600 heavy and 350 medium English and American
bombers intervened in the particularly bitter fighting at
Saint-Lo. Within a few minutes 7700 tons of bombs came down
on the battlefield. So far in the war this was the heaviest
bombing of in the war of this type. A few days later von Kluge
reported to Hitler the result of a conference of commanders.
In face of such complete air supremacy nothing else could be
done but to give up territory. The report ended with the words:
'The psychological effect on the fighting troops, especially
on the infantry, caused by the cascades of the falling bombs,
of the elements, is a factor which gives cause for serious
consideration.' ... A week later, on July 25, the attack was
repeated on the same target area, but in much greater strength:
1507 heavy, 380 medium, and 559 fighter-bombers attacked the
position. According to a statement from the commander of the
Panzer Training Division, 70 per cent of his troops were
either 'dead, wounded, or had a nervous breakdown,' and
von Rundstedt called the bombing 'the most effective and
most impressive use of the air force I ever witnessed.'"

" ... Eisenhower could state with truth in his book, 'Crusade
in Europe', that without the air force taking part the invasion
would have turned into the greatest disaster in the history
of war."

" ... the mass bombing on July 25 was the overture to the collapse
of the German defense and to the breakthrough of the Allied invasion
army into the unprotected hinterland ... The battle of Normandy had
been decided; the invasion was a success."

[And let's not forget, it was the air force which put Rommel,
the German commander, out of action with severe head injuries,
on July 17.]

page 263: "Following the special heavy raids on our fuel production
before and during the Anglo-American invasion, the petrol shortage
made it necessary to dissolve a whole series of flying units whose
further existence could no longer be justified ..."

-----------------------
The rest is about jets:

page 267: "The first fighter plane of the world to exceed 600 mph
had rocket propulsion. It was built by Messerschmidt in Augsburg
before the outbreak of WW2, in April 1939 ... Several prototypes
had been already built by the beginning of the war and bore the
mark ME-163 ... Professor Walter in Kiel developed the rocket-
propulsion engine. The same designer also introduced revolutionary
innovations in the field of U-boat construction and the propulsion
of torpedos as well as power units for different rocket projectiles
and other flying missiles, which were later employed as V-weapons ..."

[but why weren't jets put into production as soon as possible?]

" ... experiments, development, and designs in the realm of
revolutionary, novel ideas, and ... the entire development
of aviation, were decisively retarded by the order of the
Fuhrer ... demanding that all technical experiments and
development jobs not likely to be ready for 18 months be
postponed indefinitely. The order was based on the expectation
of a speedy termination of the war ...

" ... more than three years passed before Wolfgang Spate could
form the first ME-163 test group in Brandid near Leipzig ... "

" ... After long delays [the ME-163] went into action during
the second half of 1944 ... much valuable time was lost ...
the Allied offensive paralyzed the production of the ME-163,
of which 100 aircraft per month were being turned out ...
thus one of the epoch-making, revolutionary technical
developments in Germany during the last war passed without
having any practical effect. It would have been ideal to
prove my contention that superior technical achievements
--used correctly both strategically and tactically--can
beat any quantity numerically many times stronger yet
technically inferior."

"Most of the ME-163's fell into the hands of the Soviets
during the collapse ... Dr. Lippisch, the designer of the
ME-163, has been working since 1945 for the Northrup works
in the United States; and fundamental principles of his
construction ideas can be seen in many of the fastest
supersonic trial planes of the USAF ..."

" ... At the beginning of [jet] development Germany was
indeed clearly ahead of the Western allies by 18 months,
but no strategical benefit matured from it ..."

" ... I shall never forget May 22, 1943, the day I flew
a jet for the first time in my life ... the flying speed
of 520 mph in horizontal flight, which was fantastic at
that time, meant an advance of at least 120 mph over the
fastest propeller-driven aircraft. Inferior diesel-like oil
could be used as fuel instead of octane, which was more and
more difficult to get ... On landing I was more impressed
and enthusiastic than I had ever been before ... this was
not a step forward, it was a leap! ... Today I still believe
it was not exaggerated optimism to expect from a mass action
of ME-262 fighters a fundamental change in German air defense
even at that late hour ... with it [the ME-262] we could beat
any other fighter plane ...""

" ... [Hitler] overrode even Messerschmidt and the other responsible
men who a few days before had worked out with me the plan [for
mass production], expressly forbidding any kind of preparation
for mass production ... thereby the production of the ME-262
received a further delay of six months after it had already
suffered a delay of about 2 years, due to the previous order
given in autumn, 1940, to postpone all research developments ..."

[later Hitler delayed things even further due to trying to convert
it from a fighter to a fighter-bomber, and other idiotic ideas
of his.]

" [later after things finally get rolling] ... the Allies also
knew what it was all about. The first single encounters with
the new German rocket fighter ME-163 had already alarmed the
enemy. The Americans had not yet made the acquaintance of the
ME-262. But information from the Allied intelligence ... made
General Doolittle arrive at the conclusion that if German
jet fighters appeared in sufficient numbers they would make
daylight raids impossible ..."

"At last, in October 1944, I received orders .. to form a
jet-fighter unit ... Their successes were to convince
Hitler that the ME-262 was a really excellent fighter plane ...

" ... The last air battle over Germany in which the Americans
suffered impressive losses was delivered by the German fighter
arm on March 18, 1945, over Berlin. The capital of the Reich
was attacked by 1200 bombers that had an escort of 14 fighter
squadrons of P-51s. ... The enemy suffered much greater losses
at the hands of the jet fighters ... From American flight reports
one can see that the ME-262 broke through again and again with ease
through the American fighter screen and shot down one bomber after
another from the tightly closed formations despite an inferiority
of 100 to 1 ... Doolittle and Tedder now demanded decisive measures
to prevent the operation of German jet fighters ..."

" During [the] last weeks of the war we were able to fit out some
[jets] with additional weapons, which gave a greater firing power
to the ME-262: R4M rockets of 3-cm. caliber, and 500-g. explosives.
A single hit from these was enough to bring down a multiengined
bomber ... our impression of the efficiency of this new weapon
was indescribable. The rockets could be fired outside the effective
range of the defensive fire of the bombers. A well-aimed salvo would
probably hit several bombers simultaneously ... But this was the end
of April 1945! In the middle of our breakup, our collapse! It does
not bear thinking about what we could have done had we had these
jet fighters, 3-cm. quick-firing cannons, and 5-cm. rockets years
ago--before our war potential had been smashed ..."

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (12/17/87)

In article <22162@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) writes:

> page 267: "The first fighter plane of the world to exceed 600 mph
> had rocket propulsion. It was built by Messerschmidt in Augsburg
> before the outbreak of WW2, in April 1939 ... Several prototypes
> had been already built by the beginning of the war and bore the
> mark ME-163 ...

The trouble with the Me163B, otherwise known as the Komet (the Me163A had no
motor at all, it was a glider) was that it was as dangerous to its pilot as to
anything it attacked. The fuel was VERY unstable, and all the plane had for
landing gear was a single ski. If ANY fuel was left in the tank when it landed,
the plane was likely to explode. Also, it had very short endurance - about 10
minutes flying time, extended a bit if the motor was turned on and off. The
Komet was stationed close to important factories. When any bombers that had
survived more conventional defences got close enough, the Komets took off, made
one or two passes at the bombers till their fuel ran out, then glided back to
base. If they were lucky, they didn't get chased by escort fighters on the way
down, and didn't explode on landing.

The Germans were also developing another rocket fighter, but it never saw
combat. Called the Natter, or Viper, its armament was a salvo of small rockets
in the nose. It would take off vertically, attack its targets, then the pilot
would eject and come down by parachute. The plane would come down the same way.

Incidentally, how good is radar against non-metallic targets? How good are
infra-red missiles against piston-engined planes? If the answer to either of
these is "not very", then I suggest the new stealth bomber be a copy of the WW2
British Mosquito. These were made largely of balsa wood, to save weight, and
they were fast - they could match most fighters, and with their bombs gone they
could dogfight too if they had guns (which some variants did).

--
 "Keyboard? Tis quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (12/23/87)

Adrian Hurt:
>Incidentally, how good is radar against non-metallic targets? How good are
>infra-red missiles against piston-engined planes? If the answer to either of
>these is "not very", then I suggest the new stealth bomber be a copy of the
>WW2 British Mosquito. These were made largely of balsa wood, to save weight,
>and they were fast - they could match most fighters, and with their bombs
>gone they could dogfight too if they had guns (which some variants did).

Radar (at least the radar used by police to detect speeders) can detect
non-metallic objects quite well.  I have had the opportunity to test them
against a number of substances, and know the results to be true.  The best
reflectors were (non-metallic):
Fiberglass, plywood (especially marine), doped canvas (like airplanes) and
solid hardwoods (oak and maple).  Soft wood was less reflective (like balsa)
but was not at all invisible.  Interestingly enough, people were relatively
good reflectors - especially if you cought them going straight towards or
away from you (chests and backs); I speculate that meat has enough
water/density to reflect well.

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (12/24/87)

Adrian Hurt:

Incidentally, how good is radar against non-metallic targets?

Johmn Pantone:

>Radar (at least the radar used by police to detect speeders) can detect
>non-metallic objects quite well.  I have had the opportunity to test them
>against a number of substances, and know the results to be true.  The best
>reflectors were (non-metallic):
>Fiberglass, plywood (especially marine), doped canvas (like airplanes) and
>solid hardwoods (oak and maple).  Soft wood was less reflective (like balsa)
>but was not at all invisible.  Interestingly enough, people were relatively
>good reflectors - especially if you cought them going straight towards or
>away from you (chests and backs); I speculate that meat has enough
>water/density to reflect well.

Back (many years ago) when I was working on the Atlantic missile range as
a radar technician we used to routinely track seagulls.  I don't remember
the maximum range at which we could track them -- I know it was more than
20 miles but I don't remember if it was as much as a 100.

Trees are reasonably good reflectors, particularly for side scanning radars.
A tree will have a radar cross section as large as a truck.

When you are talking about visibility to radar geometry is very important.
Most of the return from an object is from corners.  I.e. the beam hits a
surface, bounces off the surface to a second surface at right angles to the
first, and comes back to the origin.  If you look at the detailed reflection
pattern from a vehicle you will see that most of the return comes hot spots
created by the local geometry.  An example of hard to detect geometry is a
sphere -- the only visible point is the spot directly closest to you.  One
of the important tricks in the stealth game is to make sure that the plane
has a good geometry.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) (01/03/88)

In article <1594@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk>, adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:
> ... I suggest the new stealth bomber be a copy of the WW2
> British Mosquito. These were made largely of balsa wood, to save weight, and
> they were fast - they could match most fighters, and with their bombs gone they
> could dogfight too if they had guns (which some variants did).

All of the above is true _except_ the bit about balsa...  they were
made from Douglas Fir plywood, and they were d*mned good airplanes.
As a matter of fact, about the guns & dogfighting:  they were a
popular night-fighter platform too, in that there was room for all
the rather bulky & primitive radar equipment of the day and yet they
were fast and manouverable enough to give the ME's and Fokker's a
rough time of it (the endurance was good too).

--
Ross Alexander @ Athabasca University,
alberta!auvax!rwa

acij@cwi.nl (Bert IJsselstein) (01/08/88)

In article <481@auvax.UUCP> rwa@auvax.UUCP (Ross Alexander) writes:
>> ... British Mosquito ...
>were fast and manouverable enough to give the ME's and Fokker's a
>rough time of it (the endurance was good too).

The Luftwaffe of the German Reich ordered  its  war  planes  from
several  firms.   Notably  Dornier (Do), Focke-Wulf (FW), Heinkel
(He), Junker (Ju), and Messerschmitt (Me)  were  well-known  sup-
pliers.  They  were  also  German. The Dutch firm Fokker however,
wasn't a supplier. Maybe the names Focke and Fokker got mixed up?

--
	Bert IJsselstein, CWI, Amsterdam  (mcvax!acij / acij@cwi.nl)