[sci.misc] Is duck rape "natural"?

andy@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Andy Freeman) (01/17/88)

In article <6852@ihlpa.ATT.COM> you write:
>    Second, I'm sorry to be a poor sport, but I am kind of skeptical
>of coercive duck mating behavior.  Where was this documented?
>How hard did the female fight?  If it were a violent fight resulting
>in broken feathers, it would hardly be an evolutionary advantage.

In the cases I'm familar with (friend observed the behavior), there
is no apparent evolutionary advantage, nonetheless, the male ducks
gang-rape a female duck until she escapes or they get bored, long
after she dies.  I think the flock size is stable.  I'm sorry, I
don't have a published reference or a learned explanation.  (It
happens in Northfield, Minnesota.)

Why don't people believe that animals and humans have behaviors
that aren't advantageous?

-andy
--
Andy Freeman
UUCP:  {arpa gateways, decwrl, sun, hplabs, rutgers}!sushi.stanford.edu!andy

al@gtx.com (0732) (01/19/88)

In article <969@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> andy@rocky.stanford.edu (Andy Freeman) writes:

>In the cases I'm familar with (friend observed the behavior), there
>is no apparent evolutionary advantage, nonetheless, the male ducks
>gang-rape a female duck until she escapes or they get bored, long
>after she dies.  I think the flock size is stable.  I'm sorry, I
>don't have a published reference or a learned explanation.  (It
>happens in Northfield, Minnesota.)
>
>Why don't people believe that animals and humans have behaviors
>that aren't advantageous?

Indeed, especially in the case of people, (sexual) behavior that seems
not to enhance fitness is very common:  Celibacy, homosexuality, oral
sex, etc.  There may be social or socio-biological explanations for
some of these (Maybe celibates help their siblings, with whom they
share genes) but on the whole I think that these "perversions" (to use
the word in a completely non-derogatory way) are just the result of
random deviations in our overly complex brain overwhelming the patterns
formed by natural selection.  That doesn't mean we can't find the
patterns in the midst of the noise, though.

Now an unscientific, anthropocentric musing about birds and reptiles:
I am amazed by the amount of what we would call "cruelty" in bird
society.  I had not heard the duck example above, but I have seen
chickens and pigeons single out a weak individual and peck it
without mercy.  My question is: why do so many people think of birds
as being "nice" compared to, say, reptiles, which are regarded as
creepy and suspicious. I'd trust a simple, honest reptile any day over
the vicious society of certain birds.  Why are reptiles so maligned?
The bird gets to be a symbol of freedom, and the snake gets to be the
symbol of "sin"?  Seems hardly fair.

   | Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 2501 W. Dunlap, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA |
   | {ihnp4,cbosgd,decvax,hplabs,seismo}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al (602)870-1696 |
"I am a thorough, careful person.  When I throw rocks at seabirds, I
leave no tern unstoned; when I paint baboons, I leave no stern
untoned." -- probably from Reader's Digest

caeri@arisia.berkeley.edu (;;;;0000) (01/20/88)

In article <969@rocky.STANFORD.EDU> andy@rocky.stanford.edu (Andy Freeman) writes:

>In article <6852@ihlpa.ATT.COM> you write:

>>    Second, I'm sorry to be a poor sport, but I am kind of skeptical
>>of coercive duck mating behavior.  Where was this documented?
>>How hard did the female fight?  If it were a violent fight resulting
>>in broken feathers, it would hardly be an evolutionary advantage.

>In the cases I'm familar with (friend observed the behavior), there
>is no apparent evolutionary advantage, nonetheless, the male ducks
>gang-rape a female duck until she escapes or they get bored, long
>after she dies.  I think the flock size is stable.  I'm sorry, I
>don't have a published reference or a learned explanation.  (It
>happens in Northfield, Minnesota.)

When I went to Carleton College in Northfield,MN, I saw these duck rapes
with my own eyes. It was pretty disgusting & traumatic for me to watch.
1 of the most memorable aspects of my 2 years there. I have no idea why
they happened, except possibly population pressures. Yes, the females
were sometimes assaulted to death. Even when they didn't die, it was clear
the females were unwilling. A single female duck would be assaulted
by several males. She usually would struggle & attempt to escape, unless
she was too tired or injured. Interestingly, the same duck population exhibited
normal pair mating behaviour which was both graceful & pleasurable to watch.
(No voyeurism jokes, please... :)  I always wondered when the ducklings hatched
which 1's were the products of the gang rapes & how anything so cute & fuzzy
could result from such atrocities of nature. But, then, nature isn't always
pretty, is it?

Cheers,
 Carrie