[sci.misc] Unusual characteristics of Humans

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (01/21/88)

Note:  I changed the title from the reproductive advantages of
rape to one suiting the contents of this article. My apologies
for violating net usage.  I also removed soc.men and soc.women
from the followup list.

In article <1413@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

>There just aren't that many qualitative differences between humans and other
>species... most of the differences are in degree rather than kind.

This isn't true.  It is true that humans are mammals and retain many of the
body plan features of mammals.  However humans are quite unusual.  They have
unique characteristics and others that are very rare.  Many differences are
so marked that they constitute a difference of kind rather than merely
degree.  Here is a partial list.

(1)	Upright posture.  There are, and have been many bipeds.  However
all other bipeds keep the spine at right angles to the body and balance
the body over the legs.  Humans rotate the spine so that it is vertical
over the legs.  Some animals can assume the upright posture for limited
periods of time, but none are built for it.  There are a remarkable
number of adjustments that have to be made in the skeleton to do this.
Upright posture seems to be the key evolutionary innovation in the
hominid line.

(2)	Lack of estrus.  In almost all animals the females have an
estrus cycle, i.e. they only copulate at certain specific times.
[In some species the estral cycle is weak, but this is rare.]
Human sexual behaviour has many unusual features.

(3)	Long life.  Interestingly enough, almost all mammals have
the same lifespan -- if you count lifespan in heartbeats.  Humans
are the notable exception; they live four times longer than they ought
to, if they fit the general pattern.

(4)	Big brains.  Humans have much bigger brains (particularly
cerebral cortex) for their body weight than any other animal.  The
difference is so marked as to be a difference in kind rather than one
in quantity.

(5)	Complex non-instinctual social behaviour.   Again the difference
is so large as to be a difference in kind rather one of quantity.

(6)	A true opposable thumb.   I think that this is unique to humans
among vertebrates.  The Panda does have an opposable "thumb" which is
actually an enlarged wrist bone.

(7)	An advanced tool user.  Other animals do use tools upon occasion.
However they lack the structural modifications needed for tool using.
Again, a difference in kind.

(8)	Cursorial hunter adaptations.  Not unique, but rare.  Cursorial
hunters kill game by chasing it until it gives up.  Example -- a human
being (in good condition) can capture a horse by chasing it until it
collapses.  The horse can run faster, but the human has more endurance.
There are a host of modifications needed for this, effecient sweating is
an example.  Wolves are cursorial hunters.

(9)	Premature birth.  If humans followed the patterns of other
mammals human gestation would take about 18 months.  Human infants
are born semi-foetal.  Much of the development that is completed in
the womb in other placental mammals is completed after birth in humans.
In particular, brain growth is not completed until well after birth.
[This is necessary -- if the head finished development the foetus
couldn't get out through the birth canal.  As it is, it's a tight
squeeze; birth in humans is unusually traumatic.]

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) (01/23/88)

Peter da Silva writes:
>There just aren't that many qualitative differences between humans and other
>species... most of the differences are in degree rather than kind.

Richard Harter responds:
> This isn't true.  It is true that humans are mammals and retain many of the
> body plan features of mammals.  However humans are quite unusual.  They have
> unique characteristics and others that are very rare.  Many differences are
> so marked that they constitute a difference of kind rather than merely
> degree.  Here is a partial list.

Actually, I think they are both "right".  The chemistry, anatomy and even
behavior of humans is much more LIKE other mammals than UNLIKE, but there
are several notable differences

> (1)	Upright posture.  There are, and have been many bipeds.  However
> all other bipeds keep the spine at right angles to the body and balance
> the body over the legs.  Humans rotate the spine so that it is vertical
> over the legs.

I have usually heard this as rotating the pelvis not the spine - but it is
really the same thing - our cranium is unusual also, in that the spinal
attachment is more "antero-ventral" than in our close relatives the apes -
putting the head "on-top" of the spine rather than "in front" of it.

The fact remains, though, that from the navel down we are rather a great
deal different than the apes, from the navel up (even head/brain included)
we are quite a bit alike. It has been said, in defense of the concept of
Neoteny as a major force in the evolution of humans, that an adult human is
very close in form to a foetal chimp.

> (4)	Big brains.  Humans have much bigger brains (particularly
> cerebral cortex) for their body weight than any other animal.

	I have always questioned this - chimps gorillas and orangs, as well
as most of the cetaceans (sp?) all have complex cerebral cortexes (corti?).
Although the baleen whales can't compare in brain/body-weight to humans -
their brains are hugely larger than ours - and their body form is so
radically different from ours that a body weight comparison seems awfully
weak.  I think our brains are actually less "different" than we think.
(Except perhaps in function - but not in form).

> (5)	Complex non-instinctual social behaviour.   Again the difference
> is so large as to be a difference in kind rather one of quantity.

	I disagree - many animals have complex social behavior - monkees,
canines, etc.  I think that our actual behaviour is really a difference in
quantity not kind.

> (6)	A true opposable thumb.   I think that this is unique to humans
> among vertebrates.  The Panda does have an opposable "thumb" which is
> actually an enlarged wrist bone.

	What makes it "true"?  Chimps (especially the pygmy chimp) have a
very well opposable thumb.  Much, Much better than the Panda's (great, not
red).  Koala "bears" have 2 opposable thumbs (at least on their
forelegs/arms).  Check out your "opposable" thumb - it really doesn't truely
oppose any finger, except perhaps the little finger - it is "off center" of
all the others.

> (7)	An advanced tool user.  Other animals do use tools upon occasion.
> However they lack the structural modifications needed for tool using.
> Again, a difference in kind.

	This one puzzles me - what structural modifications? (opposable
thumb? - see above).

> (8)	Cursorial hunter adaptations.  Not unique, but rare.  Cursorial
> hunters kill game by chasing it until it gives up.

	Not unique - true, also not rare.  Virtually all canines use this
means of hunting - in fact it has been suggested that the fundamental reason
for the human/canine association is the sharing of this (and pack) behavior.

	Wolves, wild dogs, cyotes - all Cursorial hunters, none - even today
- rare.

	All in all - I am still more likely to say that we are far more like
other animals than we are different.

--
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
John M. Pantone @ GE/Calma R&D, 9805 Scranton Rd., San Diego, CA 92121

rob@amadeus.UUCP (01/24/88)

Richard Harter writes:
>This isn't true.  It is true that humans are mammals and retain many of the
>body plan features of mammals.  However humans are quite unusual.  They have
>unique characteristics and others that are very rare.  Many differences are
>so marked that they constitute a difference of kind rather than merely
>degree.  Here is a partial list.
>
>(5)	Complex non-instinctual social behaviour.   Again the difference
>is so large as to be a difference in kind rather one of quantity.

It seems to me that some of the traits you have listed will apply to the great
apes too, especially this one.  Perhaps the behavior is not as complex
(although I'd doubt it) but chimps and gorillas have to learn how to do
such necessary functions as mating and raising offspring.  These behaviors
are not instinctive any more than they are for humans.

---
Dan Tilque

This is a borrowed account, so be sure to indicate that replies are for me
and not for Rob.