[sci.misc] Cherenkov radiation

msellers@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Sellers) (02/19/88)

In article <4809@ihlpg.ATT.COM>, tan@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Bill Tanenbaum) writes:
> < A stick breaking under foot generates a (sonic) shock wave (chaotic behavior
> < due to parts of the stick moving faster than the speed of sound ?) -- I
> < don't think there is analogous light behaviour in the everyday world
> < (aurora borealis?).
>
> There is analogous light behavior.  It's called Cherenkov radiation.
> It occurs when particles travel through a transparent medium faster
> than the speed of light in that medium.  It occurs in the everyday
> world, but not so as you'd notice.
> --
> Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

Isn't one instance of this the bluish glow given off by water-bathed
nuclear reactors, or more precisely, by the emitted particles moving
faster than the speed of light in water?

What is the mechanism behind this?  Particles travelling faster than
c in *any* medium bothers me just a bit ... I mean, what if (physical
non sequitor approaching) we found a meduim wherein the speed of
light was greater than it is in a vacuum?  What consequences could this
have?

--
Mike Sellers                           ...!tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!msellers
Mentor Graphics Corp., EPAD            msellers@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM