[sci.misc] science, i love you

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (03/16/88)

In article <2762@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, res@ihlpe.ATT.COM writes:
) | What is my point?  Only that a lot of what gets passed off as science
) | is nothing but conventional dogma.

> No.  What is passed off as science is the "currently accepted" view of
> the universe, as derived from theory and experiment, and filtered
> through human frailty.  It is very hard for me to accept the word
> "dogma" applied to science.  To me dogma implies belief despite
> contrary evidence. ...

Would somebody please mail this fellow something by Charles Fort? _New
Lands_ would be a good choice.

It's the same in science as in politics:  A revolution is a revolt
that succeeds.  If you want to convince me that the earth is round,
you've got to show me by rolling it!

-:-
	 "But Uranus was discovered, and the magicians were called
	upon to calculate his path.
	  They computed the orbit of Uranus.
	  He went somewhere else."
					--C. Fort