[sci.misc] Oxygen generation in winter

venky@pitt.UUCP (S. Venkatesan) (03/12/88)

In the parts of the world where the plans are dormant during the
winter season, how is enough Oxygen generated ? Does anyone know
if the O2 level reduces during thef winter and increases suring
summer when the plans are busy with photo-synthesis ?

Is there any other way to bread CO2 into C and O2 (natural process) ?
Any replies would be appreciated.
Venky

venky@pitt.UUCP (S. Venkatesan) (03/12/88)

In article <3052@pitt.UUCP> venky@pitt.UUCP I write with lots of typos.
Here is the same article with less typos and .signature
In those parts of the world where the plants are dormant during the
winter season, how is enough Oxygen generated ? Does anyone know
if the O2 level reduces during the winter and increases during
summer when the plants are busy with photo-synthesis ?

Is there any other way to break CO2 into C and O2 (natural process) ?

--
S.Venkatesan               {allegra,bellcore,cadre,psuvax1}!pitt!venky   UUCP
Dept. of Computer Science  venky@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu ...............   CSNET

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (03/12/88)

In article <3052@pitt.UUCP> venky@pitt.UUCP (S. Venkatesan) writes:
>In the parts of the world where the plans are dormant during the
>winter season, how is enough Oxygen generated ? Does anyone know
>if the O2 level reduces during thef winter and increases suring
>summer when the plans are busy with photo-synthesis ?
>
>Is there any other way to bread CO2 into C and O2 (natural process) ?
>Any replies would be appreciated.

What a delightful question -- it's the sort of thing that gets written
into the plots of bad SF movies.  However, in answer to your question.

(1)	Oxygen diffuses.  The concentration is the same the world over.
(2)	When it's winter here it is summer in the southern hemisphere
	and vice versa -- there is no world wide winter.
(3)	Most of the oxygen production is by plankton in the sea -- I
	believe you will find that the rate doesn't change much during
	the seasons.  Runner up are the tropical rain forests, again
	season independent.
(4)	The amount of oxygen generated and consumed annually is a small
	amount compared to the total amount in the atmosphere.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

oconnor@sungoddess.steinmetz (Dennis M. O'Connor) (03/17/88)

A biologist friend of mine told me that the calcium carbonate
disolved in the oceans provides a sufficient reserve of oxygen
to last millions of years at the present rates of consumption.
I assume this means if the partial pressure of oxygen in the
atmosphere where to drop, there would be a loss of equilibrium,
and some sort of chemical reaction would occur releasing
the oxygen from the carbonate and leaving behind, what, maybe
a chlorate ? I'm not sure. But I'n not worried about running
out of oxygen anytime soon either.

--
 Dennis O'Connor   oconnor%sungod@steinmetz.UUCP  ARPA: OCONNORDM@ge-crd.arpa
         ( I wish I could be civil all the time, like Eugene Miya )