[sci.misc] French government says genuine UFO exits

keithr@tekecs.TEK.COM (Keith Rowell) (03/17/88)

>Okay, I'm ready to believe.  Where's the stuff?  Not books,
>the stuff: wrecked UFOs of strange metal, little gray bodies
>dead or alive, and so on.

(At least you realize they are *gray* and not *green* now!  :-))

Gordon, if you lived in France and paid attention to official
French government announcements, you probably wouldn't be asking
these questions, that is, if you are inclined to believe
official government information.  Gordon, will you believe
official U.S.  government announcements if they assure you that
genuine UFOs exist?  How about when the U.S.  government
announces that yes it does have crashed saucers along with
little alien bodies, but sorry, don't ask to see them at this
time?  How about when the U.S.  government says yes it has them
and you can go see them in the Smithsonian?  My point is at what
point will you believe that flying saucers are real?  In view of
the record of lying and deception on the part of the FBI, the
Office of the President during some administrations, and on the
part of the military during Vietnam and the CIA constantly, I'm
not sure I would view the Smithsonian saucers as anything more
than a grand deception.  However, when you add to the government
announcements the massive worldwide evidence gathered by private
organizations through the efforts of individuals over 40 years
time, you finally have some reasonable evidence.  However, the
agreement of three sectors of society -- the government, private
unaffiliated individual investigators, and the scientific,
scholarly, media establishment -- must occur before we can accept
the bizarre as a part of our reality.  In France, at least two
parts are there.  In the U.S., only one as we know, of course.

In 1977, the government of France began an official, open, and
above aboard investigation of UFO reports.  The group formed to
do this investigation is Groupe D'Etudes des Phenomenes
Aerospatiaux Non Identifies (GEPAN).  It is a part of
France's NASA, Centre National D'Etudes Spatiales (CNES).
GEPAN has published official, public reports about the results
of its investigations.  These state in essence that there *is* a
genuine UFO phenomenon, something that MUFON, CUFOS, BUFORA,
FUROR, etc., assert and the very thing that Philip Klass and
CSICOP vociferously deny.  (From Margaret Sachs' The UFO
Encyclopedia (Putnam (Perigee Books), 1980, ISBN 0-399-12365-2)
in the article on GEPAN, "In an analysis of eleven cases
studied in 1978, the group [GEPAN] concluded that in nine of the
cases a physical phenomenon was involved whose description
compared to a flying machine whose origin and propulsion and/or
sustenance systems are beyond human knowledge." It seems
pretty clear to me.  We have some genuine UFOs flying around.

Perhaps you would like to read about events that preceded
formation of GEPAN in an English translation of a French book
that was published over ten years ago.  Unfortunately, this
English translation is not easy to come by in America.  I
don't in fact have a copy of this book myself.

I quote the annotated bibliographic entry from Jenny Randles and
Peter Warrington's Science and the UFOs, (Basil Blackwell,
1985; ISBN 0-631-13563-4):

Bourret, J.-C.  , The Crack in the Universe (Spearman, 1977).
Translated into English by UFO scholar Gordon Creighton.  This
is a detailed transcript of a long series of programmes
transmitted on French national radio in 1974.  Various UFO
experts and scientists discuss UFO cases and theories, and the
book contains a transcript of the interview with the French
Minister of Defence in which he admitted that UFOs exist.

In the middle 1970s, partly because of the frank acknowledgment
by the French government of the reality of a genuine UFO
phenomenon, speculation arose in the U.S. that the U.S.
government would also at that time divulge what it
knew about UFOs.  As we know, this did not happen.  U.S.
researchers are still working on this, and it is the U.S. that
apparently has the crashed saucers and alien bodies not France.
Won't you help us pry the hard evidence out of the U.S?

Thanks for your response.

Keith Rowell

--

-Keith Rowell, Tektronix, Wilsonville, OR   keithr@tekecs.TEK.COM
{ucbvax,decvax,uw-beaver,hplabs,ihnp4,allegra}!tektronix!tekecs!keithr

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (03/17/88)

In article <9840@tekecs.TEK.COM> keithr@tekecs.TEK.COM (Keith Rowell) writes:
}
}
} } Okay, I'm ready to believe.  Where's the stuff?  Not books,
} } the stuff: wrecked UFOs of strange metal, little gray bodies
} } dead or alive, and so on.
}
} (At least you realize they are *gray* and not *green* now!  :-))
}
} Gordon, if you lived in France and paid attention to official
} French government announcements, you probably wouldn't be asking
} these questions, that is, if you are inclined to believe
} official government information.

I'm not.  I regard government information as untrustworthy.
It is like newspaper and television information, except the
media are more careful in some circumstances because they
_can_ be sued and they _can't_ print money.

}
} ... [stuff about US government as source of information] ...
}
} In 1977, the government of France began an official, open, and
} above aboard investigation of UFO reports.  The group formed to
} do this investigation is Groupe D'Etudes des Phenomenes
} Aerospatiaux Non Identifies (GEPAN)... (From Margaret Sachs' The UFO
} Encyclopedia (Putnam (Perigee Books), 1980, ISBN 0-399-12365-2)
} in the article on GEPAN, "In an analysis of eleven cases
} studied in 1978, the group [GEPAN] concluded that in nine of the
} cases a physical phenomenon was involved whose description
} compared to a flying machine whose origin and propulsion and/or
} sustenance systems are beyond human knowledge." It seems
} pretty clear to me.  We have some genuine UFOs flying around.

Now we have a book about a book.  I want _stuff_.  It does not
follow from the observation of the appearance of unidentifiable
flying objects that they are what is usually mean by "UFO",
that is, a flying device or being of extraterrestrial origin.
I have met people who I regard as veracious who have related
such observations to me and I do not doubt that such phenomena
are observed.  Nor do I doubt that it is _possible_ that such
observations are actually of extraterrestrials.  So what?