[sci.misc] the "greenhouse effect" theory

eli@bbn.com (Steve Elias) (03/16/88)

In article <3772@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) writes:
>>>In article <781@lf-abe.BBN.COM> eli@BBN.COM (Steve Elias) writes:

jfc>[ In response to description of the greenhouse effect, which, accelerated
jfc>  by fossil fuel consumption, may raise the level of the oceans enough to
jfc>  flood coastal cities.]

	my comment about nuclear power is in response to JFC's statement
	that nuclear power will help us avoid the "greenhouse effect".

se>: : : 	nuclear power plants also contribute nontrivial amounts of
se>: : : 	thermal pollution into the environment, a significant factor
se>: : : 	in the greenhouse effect, especially if more plants are built.

jfc>The quote above reveals a lack of understanding of thermodynamics,

	wrong.  it reveals that i don't agree with your opinions on
	the greenhouse effect theory.

	there is no valid model for the greenhouse effect.
	either one of our statements are just opinions.  if you are aware
	of some definitive new research, please do tell.

	the issue is only partially a thermodynamic one.  planetary and
	atmospheric science issues are also key.

	the "greenhouse effect" is pure theory, whether it is applied to
	Venus or Earth.  it may be a commonly accepted theory, but it is
	far from proven.

jfc>Thermal pollution is seperate from the greenhouse effect.

	how do you know?   seriously!

jfc>It is likely
jfc>that the Earth is stable to the addition of small amounts of heat.

	it is unlikely that your statement can be backed up.

	power generation generates far more than a "small" amount
	of waste heat, regardless of the resource used for fuel.

se>: 	an important concept: the thermal equilibrium of the planet.
se>: 	nuclear waste heat affects the equilibrium, too.  the energy
se>: 	contained in uranium is being released with great speed, on a
se>: 	geologic scale.  the same is true for the heat and CO2 from
se>: 	burning fossil fuels.

jfc>Nuclear or chemical power plants both produce waste heat.

	waste heat is not a global issue unless the energy for it originates
	outside the earth/atmosphere system.  that's the thermo concept
	i'm trying to stress.  the greatest thermal danger is from solar
	power satellites, or solar farms on earth.

jfc>However, chemical plants also produce carbon dioxide which does the real
jfc>harm to the heat balance by trapping IR radiation.

	neither JFC's nor the hypothesis i am backing is proven.

	"my" hypothesis actually belongs to Frank Drake of Cornell U.
	his calculations indicate that both solar power satellites,
	or a great number conventional power plants, could cause a
	thermal runaway or other disaster.

se>: 	when natural gas burns, the products are CO2 and water.
se>: 	natural gas can be produced by fermenting garbage -- reversing
se>: 	the CO2 production process...

>This is an ideal case, assuming perfect combustion (another article mentioned
>nitrous oxides; there may also be CO) and an effective large scale conversion
>of garbage.  I think I've seen figures showing that garbage can not produce
>more than a very small fraction of our energy needs; I'll check these.

	good enough.  i'm not aware of other byproducts of natural gas
	burning -- chemists please comment.  is there any fuel which
	burns more cleanly than natural gas???

>I consider myself informed.  I have read about nuclear power, reactor
>design, and the accidents for which details have been published.

	all are different subjects than the one i've been discussing.

>I'm sure I could imagine some worst case scenarios for coal power which
>show it to be worse.  (I'd start with acid rain.)

	John, i'm not trying to bash nuclear or coal power -- just
	commenting on the "greenhouse effect" theory.

	(i can't wait for summer.)

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt) (03/17/88)

In article <22138@bbn.COM> eli@BBN.COM (Steve Elias) writes:

>jfc>[ In response to description of the greenhouse effect, which, accelerated
>jfc>  by fossil fuel consumption, may raise the level of the oceans enough to
>jfc>  flood coastal cities.]
>
>	my comment about nuclear power is in response to JFC's statement
>	that nuclear power will help us avoid the "greenhouse effect".
>
>se>: : : 	nuclear power plants also contribute nontrivial amounts of
>se>: : : 	thermal pollution into the environment, a significant factor
>se>: : : 	in the greenhouse effect, especially if more plants are built.

webster's new collegiate: greenhouse effect - warming of the earth's
surface and the lower layers of atmosphere that tends to increase with
increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide and that is caused by conversion
of solar radiation into heat in a process involving selective
transmission of short wave solar radiation by the atmosphere, its absorption
by the earth's surface and re-radiation as infrared which is absorbed
and partially reradiated back to the surface by carbon dioxide and water
vapor in the air.

note:  no mention of thermal pollution as a direct cause.  Perhaps you
mean the increase in water vapor caused by the cooling of the reactors?

>jfc>The quote above reveals a lack of understanding of thermodynamics,
>
>	wrong.  it reveals that i don't agree with your opinions on
>	the greenhouse effect theory.
>
>	there is no valid model for the greenhouse effect.

expletive deleted!  Check definition of greenhouse effect.  Everything
measurable.  No theory.  Thus, there is a model.  As to its validity,
the effect itself is easily measured, and thus validified.

Do you mean "possible long term results"?

>	the issue is only partially a thermodynamic one.  planetary and
>	atmospheric science issues are also key.

If you mean "long term results", this is a definite understatement!
They are more than the key, they are the issue!

>	the "greenhouse effect" is pure theory, whether it is applied to
>	Venus or Earth.  it may be a commonly accepted theory, but it is
>	far from proven.
negat:  see above!

>jfc>Thermal pollution is seperate from the greenhouse effect.

>	how do you know?   seriously!
You could always check the definition of "greenhouse effect"

>jfc>It is likely
>jfc>that the Earth is stable to the addition of small amounts of heat.
>
>	it is unlikely that your statement can be backed up.
I don't know - seems that you could model this from a conservation
level.  Meterologist do it all the time!

>	power generation generates far more than a "small" amount
>	of waste heat, regardless of the resource used for fuel.
Not on the world-wide scheme of things.check:
solar constant: the quantity of radiant solar heat received normally at
the outer layer of the earth's atmosphere and having an average value
of about 1.94 gram calories per square centimeter per minute.
Note:  the world is BIG!!!
What do you think melts a few feet of snow every year? Nuclear waste heat???

>jfc>Nuclear or chemical power plants both produce waste heat.
>
>	waste heat is not a global issue unless the energy for it originates
>	outside the earth/atmosphere system.  that's the thermo concept
>	i'm trying to stress.  the greatest thermal danger is from solar
>	power satellites, or solar farms on earth.
The waste heat from solar farms on earth is not from outside the earth/
atmosphere system.  If the solar farm were not there, the dirt would
absort just as much heat as the farm.  More, infact, because none
would be converted to electricity.  Of course, more would (possibly)
be re-radiated because solar collectors are designed to prevent just
that.  Now, importing it from outside might cause problems, but it
would have to be a LOT of energy!
Nuclear power may be viewed as originating as "outside" the earth/
atmosphere system.  From the thermodynamic viewpoint, the heat
was not there before.  Anywhere else either, so should say
"not in" the system instead of "outside" of it.

For you sci-fi readers, recognize the problems from Larry Nivel's
"Known Space" stories, in particular the ones associated with the
Puppeteers (sp?) home world?

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5

eli@bbn.com (Steve Elias) (03/17/88)

In article <114@aplcomm.UUCP> jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt) writes:

>.. dictionary definition of the greenhouse effect ..

>note:  no mention of thermal pollution as a direct cause.

	determining causality between thermal runaway and CO2 buildup quickly
	turns into a chicken/egg problem.  water vapor & cooling techniques
	aren't related to the greenhouse effect theory.

se>>	there is no valid model for the greenhouse effect.

>expletive deleted!  Check definition of greenhouse effect.  Everything
>measurable.  No theory.  Thus, there is a model.  As to its validity,
>the effect itself is easily measured, and thus validified.

	i don't think Funk & Wagnall have hung out on venus for a
	million years...  this theory is not proven!  read an astro
	text instead of a dictionary for a more complete look...

	dictionaries don't make scientific discoveries!  the Earth's
	atmosphere cannot be modeled with current technology.  thus,
	THERE IS NO MODEL.  present one and you will make history.
	when i say 'model', i mean a working model that can be used
	to see what the atmosphere will do under any specific global
	conditions -- the problem is IMMENSE and unsolved.

>The waste heat from solar farms on earth is not from outside the earth/
>atmosphere system.

	not true -- they would absorb some energy that would ordinarily
	be reflected back into space.

>If the solar farm were not there, the dirt would
>absort just as much heat as the farm.

	no.  vegetation has different reflective properties than
	do solar cells.

>Nuclear power may be viewed as originating as "outside" the earth/
>atmosphere system.

	i don't think there's an easy answer to this question...

:
:	determining causality between thermal runaway and CO2 buildup quickly
:	turns into a chicken/egg problem.  water vapor & cooling techniques
:	aren't related to the greenhouse effect theory.

>se>>	there is no valid model for the greenhouse effect.
:
>>expletive deleted!  Check definition of greenhouse effect.  Everything
>>measurable.  No theory.  Thus, there is a model.  As to its validity,
>>the effect itself is easily measured, and thus validified.
:
:	i don't think Funk & Wagnall have hung out on venus for a
:	million years...  this theory is not proven!  read an astro
:	text instead of a dictionary for a more complete look...

I believe you are confused as to my definition:  I said that the greenhouse
effect, as defined, was a confirmed, easily testable model.  Now, you
are debating the applicability of the valid model to conditions under
which is was not generated.  This action is not generally recommended as
"extrapolating beyond region of fit" also known as "going off on a limb"

:	dictionaries don't make scientific discoveries!  the Earth's
:	atmosphere cannot be modeled with current technology.  thus,
:	THERE IS NO MODEL.  present one and you will make history.
:	when i say 'model', i mean a working model that can be used
:	to see what the atmosphere will do under any specific global
:	conditions -- the problem is IMMENSE and unsolved.

You are incorrect in saying that the Earth's atmosphere cannot be modeled.
You might be more correct to say "cannot be modeled well", but you must
then define by what you mean by "well".  There are many, varying, models.
You probably know of some of them: can you say "National Weather Service"?
Point of fact, these are the primary uses of most of the biggest machines,
and one of the best applications of parallel processing.  I know of a
number of models in other jobs (I was a Navy meterologist) and I am
afraid that I would not make history.  The problem is, as you
stated IMMENSE, and generally falls apart under microclimat conditions,
largely due to a lack of sufficient & appropriate data.  There are,
apparently, more models than you know about.  Try the Goddard Space
Center for a good one.....

>>The waste heat from solar farms on earth is not from outside the earth/
>>atmosphere system.

:	not true -- they would absorb some energy that would ordinarily
:	be reflected back into space.
:
>>If the solar farm were not there, the dirt would
>>absort just as much heat as the farm.

:	no.  vegetation has different reflective properties than
:	do solar cells.

And if you read my next line you would have seen this.  Why did you leave
that out of your quote?  Keeping score or seeking knowledge?

jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) (03/18/88)

In article <22138@bbn.COM> eli@BBN.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>In article <3772@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> I wrote:

   by fossil fuel consumption, may raise the level of the oceans enough to
   flood coastal cities.]

SE :   	nuclear power plants also contribute nontrivial amounts of
SE :   	thermal pollution into the environment, a significant factor
SE :   	in the greenhouse effect, especially if more plants are built.

JFC : The quote above reveals a lack of understanding of thermodynamics,

>	wrong.  it reveals that i don't agree with your opinions on
>	the greenhouse effect theory.

>	there is no valid model for the greenhouse effect.
>	either one of our statements are just opinions.  if you are aware
>	of some definitive new research, please do tell.

I am not aware of any serious disagreement over the nature of the
greenhouse effect, only its magnitude.  The Earth must be stable
to small additions of heat, since the solar constant isn't really constant.
There is a theory (which is somewhat controversial) that Earth+life is
self-regulating (i.e., mean temp and atmospheric composition are
kept constant).   Certainly there must be some reason for the relatively
stable climate/atmoshpere.  The addition of massive amounts of non-
biological CO2 may remove any stability.

Remeber that fossil fuel plants produce all the thermal pollution of
nuclear PLUS carbon dioxide.

[question for any scientists who have studied this: has anyone added
 biological factors to the computer simulations of the ice ages?  Last
 I read, the variation of the Earth's orbit and some assumptions about
 the response time of rock gave close results.  Maybe feedback through
 life would improve the fit?]

>	the issue is only partially a thermodynamic one.  planetary and
>	atmospheric science issues are also key.

I called it a thermodynamic issue because the claim was that nuclear plants
emit waste heat, and that this heat was important to the greenhouse effect.
It can be proved (using thermodynamics) that ALL heat engines produce waste
heat, so there is no justification in singling out nuclear power.  The
magnitude of the total waste heat produced relative to the total heat content
of/flow through the atmosphere is much less than the amount of added Carbon
Dioxide relative to the total amount (especially while we are cutting down
forests).

>	the "greenhouse effect" is pure theory, whether it is applied to
>	Venus or Earth.  it may be a commonly accepted theory, but it is
>	far from proven.

JFC : Thermal pollution is seperate from the greenhouse effect.

>	how do you know?   seriously!

JFC : It is likely
JFC : that the Earth is stable to the addition of small amounts of heat.

>	it is unlikely that your statement can be backed up.

>	power generation generates far more than a "small" amount
>	of waste heat, regardless of the resource used for fuel.

See above.

SE :  	an important concept: the thermal equilibrium of the planet.
SE :  	nuclear waste heat affects the equilibrium, too.  the energy
SE :  	contained in uranium is being released with great speed, on a
SE :  	geologic scale.  the same is true for the heat and CO2 from
SE :  	burning fossil fuels.

JFC : Nuclear or chemical power plants both produce waste heat.

>	waste heat is not a global issue unless the energy for it originates
>	outside the earth/atmosphere system.  that's the thermo concept
>	i'm trying to stress.  the greatest thermal danger is from solar
>	power satellites, or solar farms on earth.

Waste heat from any of the heat engines (as opposed to hydroelectric,
wind, or possibly trash [see below] power) is effectively from outside,
since it would not otherwise have been released into the atmosphere on
such a short timescale.

JFC : However, chemical plants also produce carbon dioxide which does the real
JFC : harm to the heat balance by trapping IR radiation.

>	neither JFC's nor the hypothesis i am backing is proven.

>	"my" hypothesis actually belongs to Frank Drake of Cornell U.
>	his calculations indicate that both solar power satellites,
>	or a great number conventional power plants, could cause a
>	thermal runaway or other disaster.

I read, long ago, articles on the formation of the solar system (specific
issue: outside of what bounds would the Earth form like Venus [runaway
greenhouse effect] or Mars [the opposite, never enough air to heat the
surface]).   The conclusion from this and other sources I have seen is
that beyond some limit of temperature and CO2 concentration, the greenhouse
effect grows very large.

My impression is that in extreme quantities either CO2 or heat can cause
the effect, but that it is much harder to do with heat alone.  Think of
CO2 as a catalyst, very small quantities of which can produce great effects.
(Thermal energy is spent heating up the earth, which would then cool on
a timescale of days if it were removed.  CO2 produces a permanent increase
in temperature, and remains afterward [until production is slowed enough
for biology to take over]).

SE :  	when natural gas burns, the products are CO2 and water.
SE :  	natural gas can be produced by fermenting garbage -- reversing
SE :  	the CO2 production process...

>>This is an ideal case, assuming perfect combustion (another article mentioned
>>nitrous oxides; there may also be CO) and an effective large scale conversion
>>of garbage.  I think I've seen figures showing that garbage can not produce
>>more than a very small fraction of our energy needs; I'll check these.

And I have...

My source is an essay titled "Can Trash Save Us" by Jerry Pournelle, from
a book called "A Step Farther Out" (a collection of essays on the
future of humanity and some of the technical problems and promises).
It was written in 1977; relevant changes between then and now are:
increase in oil prices (since we import almost the same fraction of oil
now as then, this shouldn't be too important to the general conclusion)
and increase in energy consumption relative to trash production (I assume
this on the grounds that trash is proportional to population, but energy
use grows faster.).

In answer to the question: how much energy can trash give us

 "...1.6x10^25 ergs [per year], or 4.4x10^11 kW-hours.   In other words,
  if we captured ALL the energy from our rubbish we could produce about
  2% of the energy [which JP uses to mean all forms, not just electricity,
  since oil imports go to others forms also]  we used in 1974.  Significant,
  yes.   Important, yes.   But it won't save us from Arab oil and sinking
  tankers."
He goes on to say, assuming an efficiency of 27%, trash could produce 2% of
the electricity generated, not counting processing, drying, and plant
construction (or any of the costs).

About costs:
  [quotes _Annual Review of Energy_ for figures]
 "[cost] ranges from around $500 pe kW for a coal-fired plant to over
  $1000 for some kinds of nuclear.
   Assuming 27% efficiency...capital cost per kW is $1100, much higher
  than other kinds of plant costs, which explains why electrical
  utilities aren't terribly interested.  For $1100 a kW they can buy
  a nuclear BREEDER plant, whose operating costs will be lower than
  the value of the fuel produced."

  [He notes that nuclear costs are going up, and I note that the gov't
   doesn't like breeder plants because they produce Pu, which can make
   bombs.]

 "...If we subtract off the costs of sanitary landfill, and a number of
  other expenses of disposing of that growing mound of trash that gives
  mayors nightmares, our electrical plants begin to make sense after all:
  but only if we look at cities as a total system, and city budgets aren't
  prepared that way.  Believe me, I know: I've been Executive Assistant to
  the Mayor of Los Angeles." [goes on to say that is not possible to
  raise taxes enough to build such plants, nor to persuade relevant agency
  to be joined with the lowly sanitation department.]