[sci.misc] Carr *STILL* does not understand refraction

orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) (03/23/88)

Mr. Carr has a surface understanding of refraction but not
a *fundamental* one.
He repeats yet *again* the same error that he has made all
along when he says:

In article <3940@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jfc@athena.mit.edu (John F Carr) writes:

>Refraction of astronomical objects is greatest when they are low on the
>horizon because the light passes through more dense sea-level air.

No, no, no!!
The reason astronomical objects are refracted most on the horizon
is because of the *angle*.  The more the angle differs from the
perpendicular, the greater the refraction will be.
Air density *only* matters insofar as it *changes*.

I can look at something 20 feet away and the line of sight is
just as straight as if that object were a mile away.
On the other hand, if ten feet away I am suddenly looking through
water with a refractive index of 1.33, then *depending* on
the angle at which I am looking, I will see the object refracted.
Indeed, if the angle is oblique enough, I won't see it *at all*!
The refraction will be so great, it will wind up being reflected
and all I will see is the surface of the water.
It matters not *one whit* how much air I look through -
the refractive index does *not* mean for this much air I get
so much bending of light.  It means that relative to a total
vacumn with the maximum velocity of light, I will get this
much refraction going from one medium to the other.
Eveer been in a plane and looked *down* on a body of water?
Frequently you can see clear to the bottom *precisely* as
you would from within a boat two feet away from the water's
surface.

I am beginning to think that John Carr is a total idiot.

In trying to buttress his fundamentally wrong view of refraction
he has accused me of all sorts of errors in scientific
understanding which I have never made:

1)I never denied that in a continuously *changing* medium
  that light will be continuously refracted by the amount
  of change in the refractive index and the angle of incidence.
  What I have tried to get across Mr. Carr's thick skull is
  that if there is *NO* change in refractive index then there
  is *NO* refraction.  Period.
  Likewise if there is *miniscule* change in refractive index,
  (i.e. as from 1.000293 at sealevel to 1.000263 at 3000 ft)
  there is *miniscule* refraction.  Period.
  Mr. Carr however, continues to treat the refraction index
  as some sort of constant - i.e. the more dense sea-level air
  light does through, the more it is refracted.
  TOTAL GIBBERISH!
  HOGWASH!
  If all the sea-level air has the same refractive index then
  it will not refract light one iota! Period.

2)I never denied that the refractive index is related to the
  velocity of light in a given medium. This is nothing new
  and it doesn't require Quantum Mechanics to see why.
  DesCartes explained how refraction could be related to the
  speed of light 300 years ago well before Neils Bohr came
  up with Quantum Mechanics.
  This is noted in the Leon Cooper's introductory physics
  text which Mr. Carr keeps disparaging even while proving
  he does not understand even such *introductory* concepts.

3)I never stated *anything* about the Earth having significant
  relativistic effects on the path of light.  What I stated,
  which is totally correct and was measured I believe by
  Arthur Eddington during a solar eclipse decades ago,
  is that light will curve according to the relativistic
  space-time continuum.  But this is actually because light
  travels the shortest possible line along non-Euclidean
  space-time.  I.e. the closest thing to a straight line
  one can get in a non-Euclidean space.

Congratulations, John!
You have succeeded in so boring the net with this issue
that you have "won" in the sense of totally obfuscating
the issue and rather than admitting your stupid misinterpretation
of refraction, insisting on it to the point nobody cares
any more.

Your disinformation has worked marvelously to everyone's
loss.

But paraphrasing Galileo years ago:
"But I *still* can't see Cuba from Key West, Lewes Delaware
 from Cape May, Canada from Michigan, Canada from Cleveland,

tim sevener  whuts!orb

  that refraction is greatest because of the amount of dense
  sea-level air