[sci.misc] Formulae

lotto@wjh12.harvard.edu (Jerry Lotto) (03/21/88)

I am surprised that noone has mentioned that:

	f  x
	| e  = F(u,n)

(apologies if someone did post this and I missed it)

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.
UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lotto
ARPA:  lotto@harvard.harvard.edu

markh@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (03/22/88)

In article <172@wjh12.harvard.edu> lotto@wjh12.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) writes:

>I am surprised that noone has mentioned that:
>
>	f  x
>	| e  = F(u,n)

Well, here is one that not too many people are aware of:

The exponential series formula (pardon my infinity symbol 00)

         x    OO     n
	e  = SUM    x / n!
            n = 0

has an inverse:

                00     n   x
	n! = INTEGRAL x / e  dx
               x = 0

(related to the Gamma function, for those who know about it.)

pax@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (03/23/88)

Here is another:

The integral of dcabin/cabin = logcabin + c = houseboat

But the most humorous thing I've seen in this regard is not a formula
at all but a beginner's mistake.  Having seen that 8/0 is infinity,
a student thought that 5/0 is a 5 laid on its side---too bad it is
untypable.

kers@otter.hple.hp.com (Christopher Dollin) (03/24/88)

How about

    8 * sqrt(-1) = infinity

(looks better if the "* sqrt(-1)" is written with root signs and juxtaposition,
and only works when you replace "infinity" with the usual symbol (not aleph!)).

Because a multiplication by i is a rotation through pi/2 radians, don't you
know (said in a Peter Wimsey voice) ........................................

Regards,
Kers                                    | "Why Lisp if you can talk Poperly?"