[sci.misc] Do You Have an Interesting Formula?

hb@pixar.UUCP (H. B. Siegel) (03/11/88)

I'm collecting interesting and/or amusing "formulas" for eventual
posting.

Some examples to give you idea of the flavor:
  An expression for the probability of
life on other planets as a function of lifetime of technological
civilization times the lifetime of a star, etc.

  The estimated time in months until you find your next girlfriend/boyfriend
as a function of the number of dates you go on, how long your relationships
usually last, etc.

  The estimated time of completion of a Ph.D.

  The actual value of anything is equal to the log of
it's cost.  E.g. a stereo that costs twice as much as another stereo
is no where near twice as good.

They should be interesting and amusing enough to make you want to sit down
and figure them out for yourself and friends - I'm not interested
in a formula straight out of a math or physics book.   There's
no pretense for mathematical accuracy, either.  Formulas based on
intuition or commonsense are just as fun.

	Please mail responses directly to ucbvax\!pixar\!hb

	H.B. Siegel

<the usual disclaimers go here>

g-rh@cca.CCA.COM (Richard Harter) (03/13/88)

In article <1536@pixar.UUCP> hb@pixar.UUCP (H. B. Siegel) writes:
>I'm collecting interesting and/or amusing "formulas" for eventual
>posting.
>
>  The actual value of anything is equal to the log of
>it's cost.  E.g. a stereo that costs twice as much as another stereo
>is no where near twice as good.

This one is wrong --  the actual function has a parameter, which we
shall call the normal cost.  If the cost is signifigantly lower than
the normal cost the value goes exponentially to a constant known as
"the useless junk value".  However it is true that for costs sufficiently
greater than the normal cost the the function is approximately logarithmic.

The normal cost parameter depends on two factors, the intrinsic cost
and the thrifty shopper factor.  A complete and monumentally incorrect
discussion of this function can be found in:

"The complete parameterized Cost/Value function as applied to the purchase
of sheep dip.", The South Dakota Sheep Herders Quarterly, Vol CCLXXVIII,
pps 2047-2179, by Ephraim T. Blatherskite, ThD.

Are the graves of dreams allowed to die.
	Richard Harter, SMDS  Inc.

gregwong@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Wong) (03/14/88)

In article <1536@pixar.UUCP> hb@pixar.UUCP (H. B. Siegel) writes:
>I'm collecting interesting and/or amusing "formulas" for eventual
>posting.
>
>Some examples to give you idea of the flavor:
>  An expression for the probability of
>life on other planets as a function of lifetime of technological
>civilization times the lifetime of a star, etc.
>	H.B. Siegel

The probability that a mistakenly dropped, buttered slice of bread will
land buttered side down is greater than 0.5.  In fact, the probability
is directly proportional to the value of the carpet.

A socket used in repairing an automobile engine when dropped will roll
under a car to the exact center most of the time.  In fact, the distance
from the socket's location to the exact center of the car is in direct
proportion to the ground clearance of the car.
   *******  *******  *******  =============================
  **   **  **   **  *   **   (  |   (they only gave me 4 lines for a .sig)
 **   **  **   **      **  ____/  Greg Wong
 ******   ******      **          gregwong@maui.cs.ucla.edu

marc@metavax.UUCP (Marc Paige) (03/15/88)

This is an old formula that I heard in high school:

 b4i4q,ru/18?

 Read it outloud.

 "tired and shagged out from a prolonged squawk" - mpfc the parrot sketch
 Marc Paige    | i have no opinions that are anybody else's

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert Jung) (03/15/88)

In article <1536@pixar.UUCP> hb@pixar.UUCP (H. B. Siegel) writes:
>I'm collecting interesting and/or amusing "formulas" for eventual
>posting.

  My favorite proof (is that okay?), from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy (paraphrased, adapted, and mangled, no flames please):

1. Space is infinite.

2. Since space is infinite, there is an infinite number of planets in space.

3. However, not all planets are inhabited. Therefore, there is a finite number
    of inhabited planets in space.

4. The number of inhabited planets over the number of uninhabited planets is
    as close to zero as all gets out (n/infinity). Therefore, the total
    number of life forms in the universe is zero, and anyone you meet is
    the product of a deranged imagination.

						--R.J.
						B-)

P.S. Woops, didn't read your note about e-mailing until now...Oh well, I
needed to post a joke anyway.

<=====================================><=====================================>
Disclaimer: These ideas are all mine! Mineminemineminemineminemineminemine!

Send e-junk-mail through Bitnet to rjung@castor.usc.edu

johns@phred.UUCP (John Stice) (03/15/88)

I submit the following formula, provided courtesy of N. Macgregor Rugheimer,
Ex-Officio Associate Department Head of Physics at MSU (Montana):

The intellegence of a group of people goes as

			A * exp(-n^2),

Where n is the number of group members and A is a constant of porportionality.

I think of this every time I go to a staff meeting.

John Stice..............

werner@aecom.YU.EDU (Craig Werner) (03/15/88)

In article <10323@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, gregwong@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Wong) writes:
> In article <1536@pixar.UUCP> hb@pixar.UUCP (H. B. Siegel) writes:
> >I'm collecting interesting and/or amusing "formulas" for eventual
> >posting.

From last week's New York Times Sunday magazine:
	"As a rule of thumb, the number of barbers a man has in a lifetime
is roughly equal to his number of affairs."

AND
a very old one:

	(Beauty) * (Brains) = f

             lim         (availability) -> 0.
	f -> infinity

	(More mundane and misogynist formulation just replaces f with Const)

--
	        Craig Werner   (future MD/PhD, 3.5 years down, 3.5 to go)
	     werner@aecom.YU.EDU -- Albert Einstein College of Medicine

hawkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Peter Hawkins) (03/16/88)

In article <1536@pixar.UUCP>, hb@pixar.UUCP (H. B. Siegel) writes:
> I'm collecting interesting and/or amusing "formulas" for eventual
> posting.

The math department at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo has a shirt with a
cartoon character writing on a chalk board. The equation reads:

  /-\             /-\
  |     x         |      n
   \ (e)     =   -+-  (u)
    |             |
  \_/             |

(i.e.  the integral of e to the x is equal to the function of u to the n)

after looking carefully it reads sex = fun.  Yes it is true, it really is on
Cal Poly's math department's T-shirts.

kathode@slovax.UUCP (Kathy Lau) (03/17/88)

Limerick by Bruce Miller:

The integral of t squared dt,
From one to the cube root of three,
When times the cosine
Of three pi over nine
Is the log of the cube root of e.

tlh@cs.purdue.EDU (Thomas L. Hausmann) (03/17/88)

> not all inhabited => FINITE NUMBER INHABITED
does not follow(obviously)...no joke (sorry)

-Tom

jsalter@polyslo.UUCP (Tasslehoff) (03/17/88)

In article <3443@bnrmtv.UUCP> hawkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Peter Hawkins) writes:
:The math department at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo has a shirt with a
:cartoon character writing on a chalk board. The equation reads:
:
:    /-\             /-\
:    |     x         |      n
:     \ (e)     =   -+-  (u)
:      |             |
:    \_/             |
:
:(i.e.  the integral of e to the x is equal to the function of u to the n)
:after looking carefully it reads sex = fun.  Yes it is true, it really is on
:Cal Poly's math department's T-shirts.

	Yep.  Do you want one?

--
jsalter@polyslo.calpoly.edu             | Who needs the moon,
...{csustan,csun,sdsu}!polyslo!jsalter  |      when we've got the stars. - ABC

masticol@sabbath.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola) (03/17/88)

Not a formula, but an expression:

	       RU
	B4I4Q ---- QT(Pi)    (must be said aloud)
	       18

Also, from thermodynamics:

	The bore of the whore
	times the square of the hair
	over the cube of the tube
	equals the heat of the meat.

----
	M A X   H E A D R O O M   F O R   P R E S I D E N T !

	 Steve M-M-M-M-Masticola (masticol@paul.rutgers.edu)

hawkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Peter Hawkins) (03/18/88)

In article <2933@slovax.UUCP>, kathode@slovax.UUCP (Kathy Lau) writes:
> Limerick by Bruce Miller:
>
> The integral of t squared dt,
> From one to the cube root of three,
> When times the cosine
> Of three pi over nine
> Is the log of the cube root of e.

I have a freind who *loves* math believe it or not.  He would really get off
on thisi little limerick if the equation is really true.
It's been a while since I had my calculus, so can someone out there
who can remember (or just loves math as much as my friend) let me know if this
is actually correct.

eephdkk@pyr.gatech.EDU (Kevin Kells) (03/19/88)

In article <10323@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> gregwong@maui.UUCP (Greg Wong) writes:
>In article <1536@pixar.UUCP> hb@pixar.UUCP (H. B. Siegel) writes:
>>I'm collecting interesting and/or amusing "formulas" for eventual
>>posting.

Here's one:

	``The lowest energy state of a piece of bubble-gum
		     is on the bottom of your shoe.''

--kev
--
Kevin Kells
uucp: {THE_KNOWN_WORLD}!gatech!gitpyr!eephdkk

ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) (03/20/88)

In article <3451@bnrmtv.UUCP>, hawkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Peter Hawkins) writes:
> > The integral of t squared dt,
> > From one to the cube root of three,
> > When times the cosine
> > Of three pi over nine
> > Is the log of the cube root of e.
>
> I have a freind who *loves* math believe it or not.  He would really get off
> on thisi little limerick if the equation is really true.
> It's been a while since I had my calculus, so can someone out there
> who can remember (or just loves math as much as my friend) let me know if
> this is actually correct.

it's absolutely correct! it's nice when these things work out, isn't it?

on a lighter note, what's the value of:

		-- cabin
		|	1
		|	-  dx?
	       -- 1

(sorry about that)

doc (erik@sei.cmu.edu)

yaccity yacc (don't awk back)

jan@oscvax.UUCP (Jan Sven Trabandt) (03/21/88)

In article <3451@bnrmtv.UUCP> hawkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Peter Hawkins) writes:
>In article <2933@slovax.UUCP>, kathode@slovax.UUCP (Kathy Lau) writes:
>> Limerick by Bruce Miller:
>>
>> The integral of t squared dt,
>> From one to the cube root of three,
>> When times the cosine
>> Of three pi over nine
>> Is the log of the cube root of e.
>
>I have a freind who *loves* math believe it or not.  He would really get off
>on thisi little limerick if the equation is really true.
>It's been a while since I had my calculus, so can someone out there
>who can remember (or just loves math as much as my friend) let me know if this
>is actually correct.

Sorry, but it jest ain't co-rect.
The log of the cube root of e is 0.3333...  (taking "log" to be the
					     natural logarithm)
			      or 0.14476... (using log base 10)

whereas the rest of the limerick (the left-hand-side of the "equation",
if you will) is  0.5544...

So there!

Ob Joke:
A few months ago I was at a restaurant with a friend and the hostess
actually fell for the "Mike Hunt" ploy. There was a bit of a wait,
and when a table was free for "Mike's" party, the hostess announced it
over the p.a. and you guessed it, they were no longer around.
I thought it was funny that she fell for it, even though it is an
old joke.

Jan "so where's the party?" Sven.
-"Perchance art thou, besides Neysa, a virgin?"
-"No."
-"Well, that's over-rated anyways."
	( paraphrased from 'Split Infinity', by Piers Anthony)

Mind like parachute  -  function only when open!

Jan  (Jan, from Amsterdam) no-hyphen Sven  Trabandt
...!{allegro,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!oscvax!jan

mkent@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Marty Kent) (03/21/88)

An old, and very simple one:

	The heat of the meat is inversely proportional to the
	angle of dangle.

(Note that this is measuring theta-sub-d clockwise from positive y axis.)

Marty Kent  	Sixth Sense Research and Development
		415/642 0288	415/548 9129
		MKent@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
		{uwvax, decvax, inhp4}!ucbvax!mkent%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu
Kent's heuristic: Look for it first where you'd most like to find it.

hal@pur-phy (Hal Chambers) (03/21/88)

I thought there was a special newsgroup for offensive/obscene/...etc. humor?
Please keep this garbage out of sci.misc.

Hal Chambers

scotte@oscvax.UUCP (Scotte Zinn) (03/21/88)

In article <Mar.17.09.22.28.1988.4993@sabbath.rutgers.edu> masticol@sabbath.rutgers.edu (Steve Masticola) writes:
>Not a formula, but an expression:
>
>	       RU
>	B4I4Q ---- QT(Pi)    (must be said aloud)
>	       18

No! In the place of the 'I4' there should be the greek symbol alpha!

You have to say it fast though.

Scotte Zinn
Ontario Science Centre, Toronto
...!{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!oscvax!scotte

sw@whuts.UUCP (WARMINK) (03/22/88)

> > Limerick by Bruce Miller:
> >
> > The integral of t squared dt,
> > From one to the cube root of three,
> > When times the cosine
> > Of three pi over nine
> > Is the log of the cube root of e.

3^(1/3)--
       | t^2 dt * cos (3*pi/9) = log(e^(1/3))
     1--

So...

t=3^(1/3) to 1
	(t^3/3) * cos (pi/3) = 1/3

	(1-1/3) * .5         = 1/3

		1/3          = 1/3

CORRECT
"We demand rigidly defined areas of    |  Stuart Warmink, APT UK Ltd.
 doubt and uncertainty" (Vroomfondel)  |  <ihnp4>!whuts!sw
-----------> My opinions are not necessarily those of APT UK Ltd. <-----------

ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) (03/22/88)

In article <604@oscvax.UUCP>, jan@oscvax.UUCP (Jan Sven Trabandt) writes:
> Sorry, but it jest ain't co-rect.
> The log of the cube root of e is 0.3333...  (taking "log" to be the
> 					     natural logarithm)
> 			      or 0.14476... (using log base 10)
>
> whereas the rest of the limerick (the left-hand-side of the "equation",
> if you will) is  0.5544...
>
> So there!
> Jan "so where's the party?" Sven.

let's see...

integral of t^2 dt = t^3/3 from 1 to 3^(1/3) = 2/3 (with me so far?)
cos(3*PI/9) = cos(PI/3) = 1/2, so the left side is 1/3. we already know the
right side is 1/3, so

what am i missing here?

doc (erik@sei.cmu.edu)

yaccity yacc (don't awk back)

steve@slovax.UUCP (Steve Cook) (03/22/88)

in article <9@dm.sei.cmu.edu>, ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) says:

> on a lighter note, what's the value of:

 		-- cabin
 		|	1
 		|	-  dx?   =  house boat!!!
 	       -- 1

    Hint:  Don't forget the integration constant C  (or sea)!!!

--
  Steve Cook
Hah... try to find me at {psivax,ism780}!logico!slovax!steve

campbelr@hpsel1.HP.COM (Bob Campbell) (03/22/88)

     3^1/3
    /  2
 (  | t dt ) cos (3*pi/9)   =  ln (e^1/3)
   /
  1

   (3^1/3)^3      (1)^3
(  ---------  - --------- ) * (0.5) = (1/3) * ln (e)
       3            3

    3     1                  1
 (  -  -  -  )  * (0.5)  =   -
    3     3                  3

       1/3  = 1/3

Bob Campbell                Some times I wish that I could stop you from
Hewlett Packard             talking, when I hear the silly things you say.
hplabs!hpda!campbelr                         - Elvis Costello

bill@videovax.Tek.COM (William K. McFadden) (03/22/88)

In article <3451@bnrmtv.UUCP> hawkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Peter Hawkins) writes:
>In article <2933@slovax.UUCP>, kathode@slovax.UUCP (Kathy Lau) writes:
>> Limerick by Bruce Miller:
>>
>> The integral of t squared dt,
>> From one to the cube root of three,
>> When times the cosine
>> Of three pi over nine
>> Is the log of the cube root of e.
>
>It's been a while since I had my calculus, so can someone out there
>who can remember (or just loves math as much as my friend) let me know if this
>is actually correct.

Ok, but you'll probably get a flood of reponses from everybody else, too.

      __
     /  \ 3 ** (1/3)
    |                                                   ?
     \    t**2 dt                   *   cos( 3*pi/9 )   =   ln[ e ** (1/3) ]
       \

    \__/  1

     _              _
    |                | 3 ** (1/3)
    | (1/3) * (T**3) |              *   cos( pi/3 )     =   1/3 * ln( e )
    |_              _| 1

    1/3 * [3 - 1]                   *   1/2             =   1/3

    2/3                             *   1/2             =   1/3

                                        1/3             =   1/3

Yes, it's correct.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: ...{hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

LOK@PSUVMB.BITNET (DOUGLAS R. LEPRO) (03/22/88)

What???   And again I say:  What?

  Where ever did you come up with an arbitrary constant of integration in a
definite integral?  Such silliness is just too funny to bear.

By the way,   what did the mathematician say when the sun was shining?

       /---
      /

      |__
         |  day       ?

         /
     ---/

  If anybody doesn't get it,  or it's been on the net every day for the past
 year,   ha ha ha   you can't flame me because we don't get get any e-mail
 here.   Flames have been dev/null for a long time   so go ahead and try it.

Oh, yeah    and learn some math

*  I paid good money for these opinions,  and you can't have them     *
*  qwerty!uiop!yeah!you!get!the!picture!i!don!t!have!a!real!address!! *

ramin@scampi.UUCP (Fubar Void) (03/23/88)

In article <9@dm.sei.cmu.edu>, ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) writes:

> on a lighter note, what's the value of:
>
> 		-- cabin
> 		|	1
> 		|	-  dx?
> 		|	x
> 	       -- 1

I think it's more like:

 		-- infinity
 		|      1
 		|  ---------  d(cabin) = log(cabin) + C = House Boat...
 		|    cabin
 	       -- 0

Dunno who invented this one, but Thomas Pynchon quoted it in
"Gravity's Rainbow" which purported it to have been around at least
since W.W. II.

r.

--

ramin@scampi.sc-scicon.com --or--
{ihnp4,lll-lcc,hoptoad}!scampi!ramin

jan@oscvax.UUCP (Jan Sven Trabandt) (03/23/88)

In article <14@dm.sei.cmu.edu> ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) writes:
>In article <604@oscvax.UUCP>, jan@oscvax.UUCP (Jan Sven Trabandt) writes:
>> Sorry, but it jest ain't co-rect.
>> whereas the rest of the limerick (the left-hand-side of the "equation",
>> if you will) is  0.5544...
>
>let's see...
>
>integral of t^2 dt = t^3/3 from 1 to 3^(1/3) = 2/3 (with me so far?)
>cos(3*PI/9) = cos(PI/3) = 1/2, so the left side is 1/3. we already know the
>right side is 1/3, so
>
>what am i missing here?
>
>doc (erik@sei.cmu.edu)

All right, so I blundered. Somehow I managed to use square-root of 3
instead of cube-root of 3 as the upper-limit in the integral.

Just 'cause I'm going into 4-th year Math (well, Computer Science really)
doesn't mean I can multiply 'n' divide :-)

Can we forget about this limerick now??

Jan "Friday - It's hip, it's happening" Sven.

In article <2950@slovax.UUCP> steve@slovax.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
>in article <9@dm.sei.cmu.edu>, ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) says:
>>
>> on a lighter note, what's the value of:
>>
> 		-- cabin
> 		|	1
> 		|	-  dx?   =  house boat!!!
> 		|	x
> 	       -- 1
>
>    Hint:  Don't forget the integration constant C  (or sea)!!!

But there is no integration constant when you have limits on your
integration!!! (I do remember a thing or two about integrals, though
you might have doubted that :-)

What you really want is:

		--
	       --

Does this count as a flame? 8-)

Jan "notice? what notice?" Sven.

ard@pdn.UUCP (Akash Deshpande) (03/23/88)

In article <604@oscvax.UUCP>, jan@oscvax.UUCP (Jan Sven Trabandt) writes:
> In article <3451@bnrmtv.UUCP> hawkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Peter Hawkins) writes:
> >In article <2933@slovax.UUCP>, kathode@slovax.UUCP (Kathy Lau) writes:
> >> [Limerick]
> >I have a freind who *loves* math believe it or not.  He would really get off
> >[etc]
>
> Sorry, but it jest ain't co-rect.
> Jan "so where's the party?" Sven.

	Go sue your math teacher, Jan.
						Akash

--
Akash Deshpande					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!ard		Mail stop LF-207

jra1_c47@ur-tut (Jem Radlow) (03/24/88)

In article <2608@pdn.UUCP> ard@pdn.UUCP (Akash Deshpande) writes:
>In article <604@oscvax.UUCP>, jan@oscvax.UUCP (Jan Sven Trabandt) writes:
>> In article <3451@bnrmtv.UUCP> hawkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Peter Hawkins) writes:
>> >In article <2933@slovax.UUCP>, kathode@slovax.UUCP (Kathy Lau) writes:
>> >I have a freind who *loves* math believe it or not.  He would really get off
>> Sorry, but it jest ain't co-rect.
>	Go sue your math teacher, Jan.
But don't you see? He got his answer from an HP calculator that does
definite integrals. So of course, the formula is totally wrong. His HP
calculator says so!

-- Jem

hal@pur-phy (Hal Chambers) (03/24/88)

In article <238@scampi.UUCP> ramin@scampi.UUCP (Fubar Void) writes:
  >In article <9@dm.sei.cmu.edu>, ejh@sei.cmu.edu (Erik Hardy) writes:
  >> on a lighter note, what's the value of:
  >>
  >> 		-- cabin
  >> 		|	1
  >> 		|	-  dx?
  >> 		|	x
  >> 	       -- 1

 >I think it's more like:

 > 		-- infinity
 > 		|      1
 > 		|  ---------  d(cabin) = log(cabin) + C
 > 		|    cabin
 > 	       -- 0

Wrong!  This  ( ^ )  integral blows up!  On the RHS the "log(cabin)" term
must be evaluated at both infinity and  0;  log is unbounded in both
places.  Even the integrand is unbounded at 0!  Also the integrand, 1/x,
does not go to zero fast enough in the positive direction for the integral
to be bounded.  Consider the integer sum:

		SUM(1/n) for n = 1,....,infinity

This is unbounded even though the discrete sum contains many fewer
values than the Riemann Sum (i.e. integral).

Hal (I probably spelled Riemann wrong) Chambers

LOK@PSUVMB.BITNET (DOUGLAS R. LEPRO) (03/26/88)

And again,  I say,  learn some math before saying anything that people may
accuse you of being stupid for later.

Integral of t squared dt from 1-sqr3 =   2/3
Cosine of 3pi/9 = cos pi/3 =             1/2
Multiplied,  they equal                  1/3

And yes,  ln(exp(1/3)) =                 1/3

Funny,  but don't those last two number look awfully similar?

ob joke:

It came to pass that Kenny Rogers was late for his next show, and had to rush
there in a pickup truck.  He noticed that his tire was making some noise but
couldn't do anything about it since he was late.  So, he was driving along out
in the boonies somewhere, and after he got to the deepest, darkest, dirtiest
part of his trip,  the lugs finally came off his tire, it went
tumbling down cliff, and exploded at the bottom.  So,  what did ole' Kenny
start to sing?
                "It's a fine time to leave me loose wheel"

Yes, I know.  That was terrible, but you deserved it.  I have another joke,
but it's too long to type now, and... well, you get the picture.

                           Bye for now,  and... sharpen those math skills,
                                                                        Doug

LOK@PSUVMB.BITNET (DOUGLAS R. LEPRO) (03/29/88)

In article <238@scampi.UUCP>, ramin@scampi.UUCP (Fubar Void) says:

>I think it's more like:
>
>                -- infinity
>                |      1
>                |  ---------  d(cabin) = log(cabin) + C = House Boat...
>                |    cabin
>               -- 0

[ lots of stupid stuff omitted ]

Why won't everybody just drop this?

First of all,   log(0) is undefined  perhaps you meant log(1)?  ( =0 )
Next,  log( infin.) is undefined, and doesn't even tend to anything except
  infinity
And,  again, since this is a definite integral,  there is no arbit. constant
  of integration.
Sure, it's cute in it's own way the first time,  but must we see it again and
  again?                            ^^^^^

Just for that,  you don't get an ob joke.

                         Thoroughly pissed off after a prolonged squawk,
                                                                     Doug

joh@wright.EDU (Jae Chan Oh) (03/29/88)

>           ---\                /----
>          /    \              /
>         /                    |
>         |                    |
>         |                    |
>          \                   |
>           \        x         |          n
>            |  ( e )   =    --|---  ( U )
>             \                |
>              |               |
>              |               |
>              |               |
>             /                |
>         \--                  |

How about this?
                                     ------------
           ---\                 /     /----        \
          /    \               /     /              \
         /                    |      |              |
         |                    |      |              |
         |                    |      |              |
         \--

Well, I like to study, though :-)