[sci.misc] greenhouse effect

kevin@ttidca.UUCP (12/02/87)

I have been hearing nothing but doom and gloom about the
greenhouse effect that is currently causing long-term global
weather changes. It's also believed that the recently-discovered
melting of the Ross ice shelf in the Antartic ( ...quarter-million
square mile icebergs ?!) is a direct result of this phenomenon. I
would greatly appreciate any information or discussion about the
current research is being done on the following questions.

     1.  Are CO2 levels rising sufficiently to cause the ice caps to
         melt fast enough to noticeably change the sea level in the
         near (50 +-) years?

     2.  Are deforestation & industrialization the primary  causes
         for what's going on, or can the Earth's axis precession
         have some involvement also?

     3.  Is there any political action going on to help get some
         results in on *WHY* desertification is occurring in certain
         parts of the world?

     4.  What is the predicted effect of defoliation of the Amazon
         in terms of the global  environment?

     5.  Is there a (...I think I know the answer to this one) chance
         that things might get better?

    Tanks in Advance

    Kevin:       !{csun,rdlvax,trwrb,psivax}!ttidca!kevin