[sci.misc] Omni, & where have the quality general science 'zines gone

chrz@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Chrzanowski) (04/09/88)

1.  Slick paper magazines cost a lot to produce: much more than
    the cover price.

2.  A skeptical approach to assertions is a part of scientific method.

3.  Most advertising is not made to stand up to a rigorous analysis of
    its factual content (Use new, improved Pepsodent ! It contains GL-86
    (tm) ).  (Ah'm a BIG MAN ! Ah drive a BIG TRUCK ! Mah truck is a

rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) (04/11/88)

Is it my imagination, or has Omni deteriorated from a magazine with
questionable scientific content to outright tripe?

Is it my imagination, or has Scientific American deteriorated from
a fine magazine with good information for laymen to a magazine
with questionable scientific content?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Robert White
ihnp4!upba!qetzal!rcw

mls@whutt.UUCP (SIEMON) (04/12/88)

In article <1590@qetzal.UUCP>, rcw@qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) writes:

> Is it my imagination, or has Scientific American deteriorated from
> a fine magazine with good information for laymen to a magazine
> with questionable scientific content?

Yes, under the new owners Sci.Am. is degenerating, particularly in the book
reviews and "Science and the Citizen" columns.  And of course there is no
new Martin Gardner (or Hofstader, for that matter).  Article content doesn't
yet seem (IMHO) to be greatly affected, though I fear it will be eventually.
Sigh!

--
Michael L. Siemon
contracted to AT&T Bell Laboratories

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (04/13/88)

}
} Is it my imagination, or has Scientific American deteriorated from
} a fine magazine with good information for laymen to a magazine
} with questionable scientific content?

The epigrammatic mode aside, what have you seen in SA whose content
was "questionable"?  I concede that the verb tenses and disclaimers
in the article on superstrings were not all they should have been, and that
black holes are spoken of with an unjustified complacency, but careful
reading of the articles in question and others like them always shows
that the authors know and admit that their conclusions are somewhat
far-fetched.  I assume that SA's editors are keeping watch.

                            ....uunet!actnyc!gcf

Is it my imagination, or have Byte, Dr Dobbs, and Microsystems become
effectively PC-World parts 2, 3, and 4? With an occasional tidbit for
Mac users?

Is there any connection? Is there some sort of general entropic function
in the magazine business. Oh well, at least real SF magazines seem to be
holding their own.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter